Author Topic: 360 or PS3?  (Read 3784 times)

zimojo

• Email
360 or PS3?
« on: December 09, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »
I'm getting a new system, I already have a Wii, which one?

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
Re: 360 or PS3?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »
it depends what you are looking for ps3 has better graphics more detailed games and the games have better story line and it is more in depth if you get a xbox 360 then it is basicly just alot of fps and i just think 360 is not worth it. i myself have recently sold my 360 and i am just totally done wiht console games i am currently saving for a decent computer that will be able to play the new game comming out called darkfall online it will revolutionalize mmorpgs and it is more fun doing fps's on PC.
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
Its hard to just say get one over the other, it really comes down to preference based upon a few factors: Money, preference of games, online multiplayer, functionality.

ps3 has better graphics more detailed games and the games have better story line and it is more in depth

Not really true. Graphically, ps3 is slightly better, but the difference is so small its not worth basing anything off. (get a pc for video potental). Ps3 has a few exlusive titles, like the killzone series, metal gear solid seriers, the legendary Final Fantasy series (which now FFXIII is for 360 as well), Prince of Persia, but if your going to buy a console to play 4-5 games, save your money.

Best bet is to analyize what types of games you play, what is currently on each platform/going to be released, then go from there.

darkfall online it will revolutionalize mmorpgs

dont get your hopes up, i can guaruantee it's gonna fall flat on its face. Its not going to compare to WoW or Warhammer Online, (correct me if im forgetting one) which seem to be the leading mmorpgs. It doesnt look very intuitive at all, medeocre in my opinion.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to give a company like Sony money.
beep bop boop

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to give a company like Sony money.

I was debating whether or not to use wordplay with that to insult Privateer Press, but decided not to and instead tell you about it.

Honestly, get a 360.  I like Sony, I love(d) Playstation, but if I bought one of the two (which I don't plan to) it would be a 360.  The Playstation was leading the way for a long while, but it has fallen behind in this generation of consoles and it's a long fall.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »

Because they make good stuff?  I bought my TV from them and it was an engineering masterpiece.  Well, maybe not THAT good, but everything fit together just right.  Easy to set up on my own.  No problems whatsoever.  And I just gave my Sony DVD player to my parents after it gave me 8(?) good years of service.  Still works fine.

I got a PS3 because online play was a minor consideration for me.  It is also a pretty good blu-ray player.   The newer PS3 can't play the older PlayStation games, unfortunately.  So don't expect to play any PS2 games on it. 

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:09:31 AM »
Sony has routinely put malware on their CDs and DVDs. That, and the declining quality of their electronics, would deter any of my purchases.

In addition, removing backwards capability in their console served no purpose other than to make gamers sad.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:11:03 AM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »
Sony has routinely put malware on their CDs and DVDs. That, and the declining quality of their electronics, would deter any of my purchases.

Putting crap on their CD's was a bad move, but they were sued for it and (presumably) don't do it anymore. 

In addition, removing backwards capability in their console served no purpose other than to make gamers sad.

It made the console cheaper.  Well, just as expensive, but with a larger hard drive.  Not something I would agree with but not really a big loss.  I still have my old console if I need it. 

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »

Rabid lobbying of our government, pushing DRM and the DMCA down our throats, the RIAA...

Craig

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
almost everything i have seen from the Xbox360 has been cool.  Gears of War and Call of duty look great, Fable 2 is crap and has crazy long load times.
you should get a computer and play world of warcraft instead.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »
I don't know about using WoW as a reason to get a computer (although I play WoW it isn't the best game out there).  But, gaming on a computer tends to be superior for what I play.

I think in life people are either console gamers or computer gamers.  And then there are Mac people who couldn't game on their computer no matter how much they want.  /me cries at being a Mac person.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »
following up from the last post i posted on this thread is that darkfall online *cough* darkfail is an amazing game but it has seen the worst mmorpg game launch in history... For the last like 3 weeks you can only buy the game at a certain time for a copy for about like 15 minutes. The problem is that there are so many people that want the game that the servers get flooded and full so it takes about 15 minutes to get to the page before they sell out =( ..

If they just expected for as many people that want the game they would have been fine . the game itself is amazing though i have put aside some money for when they keep it up on the site without running out of coppies.

=D i also got my new computer for like 550$ it was a sale on tigerdirect.com during the holidays and it's specs are 4 gigs of ram 2.2 ghz dual core proccesor and a nvidia 9500 gt geforce and windows vista home premium 32 bit i don't like vista but direct x10 is beuatiful on graphic based games like crysis. also i got a 19" monitor =D   time to start saving for more 40k again  :P
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »
(although I play WoW it isn't the best game out there).

Remind me to beat you within an inch of your life the next time I see you...
"Oooh, it looks like the Russians are burning"
   -- Chase

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
I'm amazed this thread hasn't devolved into grunting and brandishing of war clubs.

In the current generation, there are relatively few exclusive titles.  If there are some franchises you like a lot, you should consider buying the console that carries those franchises.  On the Playstation, I personally love the God of War series and Ratchet and Clank.  On the Xbox (really should say Xbox and PC), you have bioware titles (like Mass Effect) and fun little western type games like Overlord and Gears of War.  The Dead Alive series is also Xbox exclusive.

The PS3 is a technically superior system but that doesn't tend to matter.  Most of us don't have good enough televisions to take advantage of that superiority.  Furthermore, the lion's share of non-exclusive titles are developed on the 360 and ported to the PS3, meaning the graphics are virtually the same.  (I can't think of a single non-exclusive title that wasn't developed on the 360...though the upcoming FF13 is a PS3 -> 360 port.)  You'll get a little more graphical oomph from a vanishingly small handful of PS3 exclusive titles, but I don't think you should make that the basis of purchasing a system.

There are a few less tangible factors to consider when making your choice.  The PS3 is still the cheapest Blu-ray DVD player out there.  Even if you get a Blu-ray player on some sort of promotion deal (my grandfather recently did) you'll still only save maybe $50 over the cost of a PS3.  In many cases, you'll pay an amount equal to the PS3's cost if you buy a dedicated Blu-ray player, even with some sort of promotion deal.  If you're a true videophile, the PS3 won't be quite as good as a dedicated player, but chances are you'll never care about that.

A big advantage the 360 has is its ability to stream movies from Netflix onto your TV, which is something I really enjoy.  You can stream them onto your PC it's true, and if you have the right PC setup you can stream them to your TV via that avenue, but the 360 is a good plug and play solution. 

Both the PS3 and the 360 have their online services and associated communities.  Most people consider the functionality and userbase of the 360 to be superior, but take that with a grain of salt.  Depending on what games you want to play online, YMMV.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that the 360 has a larger line of varied titles and is so far 'winning' the console war this generation.  You can say that the 360 has more shovelware and overall the library of PS3 titles is of higher quality, but if you're fence sitting about buying a console and can't decide, the lineup of games on the 360 combined with the low price makes it a very attractive choice.

(I'll also point out here that if you don't have a PS2 for some reason and want to save money, you can buy a new one for next to nothing and play its huge lineup of games until doomsday.)

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
360... no tech reasons, no this company is better then that..  i just like the control better
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?