Author Topic: Theft and piracy  (Read 21515 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Theft and piracy
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
If people are struggling with money, splitting the cost and sharing a single physical rulebook is an option.

In doing this and to my knowledge, Games Workshop will *not* show up and tear the rulebook in twain as King Solomon.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
I dont like re-making anything formyself  unless my choice is spenging offensive ammounts of money. My thunder Hawk for example has damaged gun arrays. Can I call forgeworld and say "hey can I get new heavy bolters?" Nope I cant Forge Wold wont do it. So I either have to shell out for a new kit which is obserd, or see if some one has the kit unassembled and cast the damaged parts, make replicas and replace them on my hawk.

GW does ripp people off in a way that they wont replace lost or broken off parts. You will just have to order an entirely new kit. If I have a specific bit on one of my space marines that breaks off and dissapears years latter im screwed GW wont sell me a replacement bit. If i can easily get replacement bits i will do so but sometimes the evil of casting and molding is necessary because GW has poor customer service in replacing missing stuff. Am I going to sell it to any one? No. Am I making any sort of Profit? No. I am just making logcal sence to find a means to an end because a thick headed company wont support their clients. Thus making it neccesary for the clients to do it themselves.

If you recast your own piece to repair a product is Perfectly legal at this point and time. Games-workshop also has everything manufactured on a sprue. If you have a problem like your model came with a missing piece on the Sprue Games-workshop sends you a whole new sprue/model to replace it cause its more cost effective than casting the individual piece. 

In fact I don't see how its ripping you off they don't offer a service and your not paying them any money for that service. You bought a complete functional kit and due to circumstances beyond their control something happened to it. If they sent you a faulty product say like a Stormwall missing a Torso and they won't replace it yes they are ripping you off.

Privateer Press offers all the Individual Pieces cause they cast them Individually and they can do that. I still haven't seen any of the Retribution of Scyrah's Heavy Myrmidon Parts go on Sale and I am missing a piece and would like to replace it. They in fact offer all the other parts for other Armies but not the one I play and they offer the service. That to me seems more like a ripoff since I don't have the same ability cause of the army I play.

But this isn't an argument about Privateer press versus Games-Workshop.

I own 2 codexes Chaos Space Marines and Space Marines as well as the Hardcover 5th Edition rulebook.

If you come into a tournament at Battlegrounds and you can not pull out the Codex for you army when a Rules Question comes up what happens? It is a Requirement for the tournament and I don't want to have to go searching through a laptop to find the ruling on a unit's Action.

You download a PDF for a codex and Print it out at say your local Staples. It costs you 20$ and its on cheap copy paper in a 3 ring binder that Costs you an additional 1$-2$. 22$ you spent that doesn't go towards the company for the game your playing but in fact to another company that in no way supports your hobby. Yes a Codex costs 42$ now and the only thing I regret from spending money on it is the Portion that goes to Matt Ward. Time goes into testing, developing, and writing the books and products that any company sells and the stores for ordering it advertising it and selling it to you. To take that money away is one thing but to give it to another company who has nothing to do with your hobby is way worse in my opinion.

Games Workshop will replace sprues missing peices just out of a box yes. But if you assemble the model and a specific peice comes off and goes missing then your out of luck GW wont replace the part. Forge World wont replace the damaged gun arrways on my Thunder Hawk which SUCKS! so now if any one gets a thunderhawk I have to plead my case of having damaged heavy bolters from years of use and make copies

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
Steve, will Ford send me a new engine due to years of wear and tear?  How about a transmission?

Isn't it a bit much to expect these companies to replaces things that you broke, lost, or have "worn" down?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
Steve, will Ford send me a new engine due to years of wear and tear?  How about a transmission?

Isn't it a bit much to expect these companies to replaces things that you broke, lost, or have "worn" down?

I mean if i am willing to pay for it. Sorry left that part out! Yeah if your willing to pay for it they will. But Gw and Especily Forge World wont make replacement parts even if offered money. This also includes special unique weapons like combi meltas for marines. Those suckers are 5 bucks a whack on E-bay from some one opening the captain box and selling it piece meal. GW used to sell individual stuff like that but no longer and Forge World even if offered money will not sell me what I need to fix my Thunder Hawk.  :'(

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
I'd pay $100 for it, and sooner or later GW will probably figure that out too.
Does this mean you'll actually start playing when 6th edition comes out, Derek? ;)
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
Does this mean you'll actually start playing when 6th edition comes out, Derek? ;)

Well, I'll be at the store playing this Saturday, at least. Time is an ever-dwindling and precious commodity, but I would love to get more games in.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

Well, I'll be at the store playing this Saturday, at least. Time is an ever-dwindling and precious commodity, but I would love to get more games in.

Games > 0?   ;)

There is an aftermarket for many replacement parts. 

What might be a better argument is that they do not make official models for all codecies so players are forced to kit bash and that puts some players at a disadvantage if they cannot gain access to FW or are unable to kitbash well. (this is paraphrased from some wise old beardo)  Think the GW hydra or some other FW only kit.

You aren't sticking it to GW by not buying the book.  You are sticking it to the game store who is providing you "free" terrain, game space and space for a community.  As others have said, it sets the precedent up for rationalizing newer players that it's cool to not pay where you play if you are "offended" by the pricing scheme. Where does the rationalizing stop?   "I don't want to pay for a land raider because $75 USD is too much!  To Feebay I go!"  Seriously, it's a cop out.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »

Really wished I was in town this week now...
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »

You aren't sticking it to GW by not buying the book.  You are sticking it to the game store who is providing you "free" terrain, game space and space for a community.  As others have said, it sets the precedent up for rationalizing newer players that it's cool to not pay where you play if you are "offended" by the pricing scheme. Where does the rationalizing stop?   "I don't want to pay for a land raider because $75 USD is too much!  To Feebay I go!"  Seriously, it's a cop out.

Says who?  You?  That is hardly official.  Please appreciate the difference between "a rulebook" and "everything to do with the hobby always and forever".

The comparisons to video games are invalid.  If I buy a game my computer can run, I can always play it.  This is different.  I cannot keep playing my army in the game as is.  At least not in any organized fashion at any store.  5th is dead.  I am -required- to learn the new rules in order to continue playing the game, in order to continue using the army I have spent hundreds of dollars on.  Do I feel like I should be forced to spend 70$ in order to do this?  No.  Am I? Yes.  There is a huge difference between adding something to your army, or upgrading or whatever and having to spend money to continue.

And Please, I have never suggested to anyone that they shouldn't pay where they play, I make it a point to get models at all stores I frequent, though since I am at BG plainville the most, they get most of my gaming money.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

Says who?  You?  That is hardly official.  Please appreciate the difference between "a rulebook" and "everything to do with the hobby always and forever".

The comparisons to video games are invalid.  If I buy a game my computer can run, I can always play it.  This is different.  I cannot keep playing my army in the game as is.  At least not in any organized fashion at any store.  5th is dead.  I am -required- to learn the new rules in order to continue playing the game, in order to continue using the army I have spent hundreds of dollars on.  Do I feel like I should be forced to spend 70$ in order to do this?  No.  Am I? Yes.  There is a huge difference between adding something to your army, or upgrading or whatever and having to spend money to continue.

And Please, I have never suggested to anyone that they shouldn't pay where they play, I make it a point to get models at all stores I frequent, though since I am at BG plainville the most, they get most of my gaming money.

So you drank the kool-aid and bought the book.  You are just arguing to argue.  You don't even believe in your position.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
im just going on record that im a proud supporter of BG its services and products. i would never screw a store by making molds of stuff i can buy easily there. Its just Forge World I got issues with. they wont make me parts even f i offer to pay!

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »

So you drank the kool-aid and bought the book.  You are just arguing to argue.  You don't even believe in your position.

No, I happen to be fortunate enough to have the means to spend a decent amount on the hobby.  I didn't think we were ever discussing "Keith buying 6th ed book or stealing it".  I stated in the original thread that I was buying it, chase chimed in and said I was buying it.  Where were you?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »

That wasn't what he was suggesting chase, more that, No one selling/repairing your transmission, but forcing you to buy a brand new car instead.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
Ok, since it wasn't clear, I will state it:

What is your point?

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
what was whos point? Might want to quote who you are referring to Rich.