Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34306 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Just a few notes since I think half of you are kind of off.

First and foremost Sam as I will always follow your rulings I think you are off on this Power Weapon ruling.  As you have already stated you are looking into it further I wont rehash the last 4 pages with crap.

Also just a heads up on original models etc...  Since I have been playing since Rogue Trader my original models are far different then anyone elses.  On this note EVERY space marine I have at one point came with a weapon load out of power sword, Power Axe, Chainsword, and Fist( this was on their sprues, if you like I can brinbg them in to prove it).  Newer boxes dont include this as much but then you have to look at the word "original" or even "acceptable".  Blah blah you get where im going here. 

I guess Spacewolves have it easy in this regard as all of them can use axe or sword since its in the codex...  Ahh I digress..

Now to my next point which I titally forgot so Ill have to come back to that... LOL

Oh ya as for lines you can take JOTWW for example as it is a line and is considered a template by wording on the FAQ.

Way to many crap fests I think I may have posted this the wrong place LOL
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:31:56 PM by Grimwulfe »
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
Well, template is a very specific thing in this case, because flyers can't be hit by templates.  But I don't see "template" used anywhere describing JOTWW in the new FAQ.  Possible I missed it. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
I think these are some pretty good questions.  Keep it up.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:12 AM »
Great.  (some of these I think I know the answer to, but just want definition on)

Commander Farsight.  His Dawnblade says "No armour saves may be taken, and he rolls 2d6+5 for armour penetration"  No further clarification was given in the FAQ.  I assume this weapon will void 2+ saves just fine?  (It's not AP2, as I don't think it would get +1 on a dmg chart)

Also, his entry says he may be taken in "Tau armies of 1500 pts or more"  Does that mean I may not take him as an ally HQ?  If I take him in a Tau army, with other allies, does the Tau component need to 1500 pts or more, or does only the whole list need to 1500 pts or more?

The other two Tau Special characters have identical stipulations.  They are the only characters that still do, I believe. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2012, 03:38:52 AM »
Didn't they FAQ that a long time ago?

And as far as I am aware, if the weapon does not say "Power Weapon" or "Force Weapon", then it does not fall under the classification of "Unusual X", and as such uses its own unique rules.  Codex > Rulebook.

This would apply to Yriel's spear, Eldrad's Staff, the Banshee Exarch Mirrorblade, uh...Lillith
s weapon, etc.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Zaroth

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »
hehe, just though of another one:

Does the 1mm line drawn by a doom scythe count as "template"?  This matters for whether it can hit flyers.  The same ruling would apply to psychic beam attacks, I would think. 

Do beams and Novas need to roll to hit?
Go
Beams and Novas say that they automatically hit.
Also isn't template only referring to the flame template? The other two are blast and large blast and are specified in the fliers rules as also being unable to hit. The three of them aren't all "templates".
I could be wrong, don't have the rulebook in front of me, but all non-skyfire shots at fliers count as snap fire.  Under the rules for snap fire, any weapon that does not roll to hit or automatically hits cannot be fired.  So beams, novas, jotww,  doom scyth, etc... cannot target fliers unless they somehow have skyfire.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Ok, wounding question that came up last night.

Under wounds it says that a model, not a unit, that is in range in to hit is in range for the whole shooting phase.  I take that to mean, that a model that is out of range is out of range for the whole shooting phase.

ie since we have to take wounds from closest to farthest, you shoot at my mob of 20 boyz, but only 6 of them are in range of your guns, you can only kill 6 boyz.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »

Does the 1mm line drawn by a doom scythe count as "template"?  This matters for whether it can hit flyers.  The same ruling would apply to psychic beam attacks, I would think. 

Go
Also isn't template only referring to the flame template? The other two are blast and large blast and are specified in the fliers rules as also being unable to hit. The three of them aren't all "templates".
I could be wrong, don't have the rulebook in front of me, but all non-skyfire shots at fliers count as snap fire.  Under the rules for snap fire, any weapon that does not roll to hit or automatically hits cannot be fired.  So beams, novas, jotww,  doom scyth, etc... cannot target fliers unless they somehow have skyfire.

I don't believe it says that, no, it says "templates and blasts", specifically. 

Zaroth

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

Go

I don't believe it says that, no, it says "templates and blasts", specifically.

Page 81 "Shots resolved at a Zooming Flyer can only be resolved as Snap Shots."
Page 13 "It's important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill - such as the Necron Monolith's portal of exile - cannot be 'fired' as a Snap Shot."

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »
You are right, I stand corrected.

Well that's annoying. They REALLY wanted to make sure you bought a bastion.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Quetions
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2012, 03:13:43 AM »
A little bit late on reading this, but...

Sam, I think you are 100% in error on your power weapon ruling.  If you have to use what is on the GW kit's sprue, this would mean a space marine tactical squad can never have any sergeant options beyond a plasma pistol or chainsword?  That is absurd.  What is even more disturbing to me is that following this statement, you consider allowing a necromunda model to represent something?  I am not sure what your intention was when you typed that.  The game is obviously shifting toward a more open and casual format where the hobby has impact on gameplay.  By restricting a simple weapon swap, you a restricting the overall spirit of the game, which as a judge, reflects very poorly.

My suggestion is to simply request that models equipped with a power weapon are the type you modeled them as (power axe is an axe, etc.) for the next event to ease things, and seeing how things go.  It is too easy to listen to the opinionated retards on the internet about what will be broken when none of them have more than a handful of games under their belt.  As far as modeling for advantage, the advantage is pretty simple, you get an option, an option that have you any marine character could pay extra points to have as well.  I think you are simply afraid of too much from ramblings of people before anyone has really seen a metagame or even the basic rules develop.

As far as rulings go, it is very simple, despite sales hiccups, GW has done a pretty excellent job with the FAQ and the rulebook is fairly well-written.  People, just take a deep breath, relax, grab some chips, open 'em up, and read your book and refer to errata.  Its about as self-explanatory as it can get if you use a logical approach instead of instantly whining.  There is no reason to run round calling things broken, or shady, or even confusing before you actually give things a chance.
Tiger's Den founding member

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
OK 7am I gotta go to bed but I thought you should know that Forgeworld has up errata/updates for apoc and regular FW minis with full rules for using superheavies and gargantuan creatures. There is also a rumor going around that FW will in the future be releaseing GW official codexs for some of the less well loved/niche armies like salamanders, death korps, and drop troops.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
Saw that.  So, a 295 LR (so about 30 pts more than I pay now) that has twice the Lascannons (2 Hvy 2, TL) five hull pts, and a transport capacity of 25 models.  So that means I could put Draigo, 10 paladins, a Libby to buff, and techmarine with crazy 'nades (who will also make sure the LR never dies) in there.

But for some reason, it has to pay 10 pts more than normal for a Multi-melta, so I delcare it balanced.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »
Saw that.  So, a 295 LR (so about 30 pts more than I pay now) that has twice the Lascannons (2 Hvy 2, TL) five hull pts, and a transport capacity of 25 models.  So that means I could put Draigo, 10 paladins, a Libby to buff, and techmarine with crazy 'nades (who will also make sure the LR never dies) in there.

But for some reason, it has to pay 10 pts more than normal for a Multi-melta, so I delcare it balanced.

Its not usable for codex grey knights (unless you use it as a detachment from a legal chapter) but then you still wouldnt be able to use it as a transport

I did like forgeworld came out with hull points and such for all their models, i havent had a chance to look through the 6e apoc faq though
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:49:20 PM by PhoenixFire »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

Its not usable for codex grey knights (unless you use it as a detachment from a legal chapter) but then you still wouldnt be able to use it as a transport

I did like forgeworld came out with hull points and such for all their models, i havent had a chance to look through the 6e apoc faq though

Don't ruin my dreams!