Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34323 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »
Precision Shots are they allocated one at a time like regular shots? Example would be I get 3 Precision shots and I want to place them on a Character until he is dead if that takes 2 I can still allocate the last one to a special or heavy weapon model.

Wounds happen at the same time, so you would have to declare which ones go on which model before you roll them all.

Wounds don't happen at the same time for normal shots though everyone seems to forget or misunderstand this. Regular shots are applied to a unit one wound at a time to the model closest to the firing squad. My Question is simply do Precision shots follow the same ruling as such you only apply one wound at a time this way you can maximize the potential of Precision shots or do you waste shots if you happen to kill a guy in one shot by putting all 3 on him? The confusion for me is the sentence saying rather than following the normal rules for wound allocation sentence does this just apply to you being able to choose them and not the one at a time basis or the fact you can choose who they go on and they must go on that person even if you waste precision shots?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure you resolve them one at a time.  Really, ALL wounds are resolved one at atime, and there's just methods to speed it up.  Lout out sirs! are resolved one at a time

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Sam, can we get a re-ruling on the challenge overflow thing?  I feel like Jared had a pretty convincing case. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure you resolve them one at a time.  Really, ALL wounds are resolved one at atime, and there's just methods to speed it up.  Lout out sirs! are resolved one at a time

You may resolve them one at a time, but I'm pretty sure you have to allocate them at the same time.  I think what he's trying to say is that he shoots, gets say 10 bolter shots from his unit, and 3 shots at precision shot.  He wants to be able to go "I allocate the first lascannon shot"  and if it misses, goes "Ok then since that missed I want to allocate the 2nd shot", and so on.

While wounds may be rolled one at a time, I think you still would need to allocate shots to create the wound pool. 
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »

We have established that even if you slay a challenger, you are still considered to be in base contact with that model until the end of the phase in which it is slain, per the Challenge rules.

I do not think this is true - the rule states that, For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to be in base to base contact with only each other.

That is not the same as saying "For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to be in base to base contact" or ""For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to always be in base to base contact with each other"

The challengers are not always in base contact, they are just never in base contact with anything else - thus, if one challenger dies the other is no longer in base contact with anyone else and wounds are allocated following the "nearest model" rules.

The fact that there is a "wound sponge" for the duration of the challenge is predicated on the fact that the two challengers are always in base to base contact, which is a grammatical misinterpretation of what is written in the rules.

There is a huge debate on this on practically every 40k forum currently... we are lucky enough to have Sam to make a decision we all agree to until the next FAQ comes out in August (and hopefully addresses this).

Look to the first paragraph under Challenge.  It explicitly states that the models must be positioned in base to base combat, and if you cannot, then you *assume* that they are in base to base.  They are in base to base the moment the challenge is issued until one is dead.

"If a challenge has been accepted, it is time to move the two combatants into base contact with each other.  Note that these moves cannot be used to move a character out of unit coherency.  If possible, swap the challenger for a friendly model in base contact with the challengee.  If this cannot be done, swap the challengee for a friendly model in base contract with the challenger.  If neither of these moves would result in the two models being in base contact 'swap' the challenger to as close as possible to the challengee and assume the two to be in base contact for the purposes of the ensuing fight....for the duration of the challenge, these two models are considered to be in base contact only with each other.

Show me how that they are not always in base contact, and only with each other.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:49:53 PM by Typhus »
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »
Sam may or may not see this until Wednesday.  As far as I know he rarely checks the boards unless he's at work.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
Sam may or may not see this until Wednesday.  As far as I know he rarely checks the boards unless he's at work.
He rarely checks the boards even when he's at work. :P

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
Can someone consolidate all the questions and Sams answers into a sticky locked thread please?

Ploughing through this thread to find the questions and answers is getting rough.

thanks,
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
Can someone consolidate all the questions and Sams answers into a sticky locked thread please?
This is a good idea, a SAMFAQ without all the debate in between. And Sam can change the answers as people change his mind.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
I'll add that to my never ending list of things to do.  :)

In the mean time, here's some questions re: Feast of Blades that I've been asked.

1)  Will you guys be allowing [edit] psychic powers to be used on friendly [edit] allies?  The codex specifically says "friendly [edit] units" so I'm not really sure how to interpret it.

2)  Involving Night Fight from the Scenarios.  Are the Night Fight rules automatically in effect on the specified turns?  Or do they follow the rules from the Rulebook and it is only Night Fight on a 4+?

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »

In the mean time, here's some questions re: Feast of Blades that I've been asked.

1)  Will you guys be allowing [edit] psychic powers to be used on friendly [edit] allies?  The codex specifically says "friendly [edit] units" so I'm not really sure how to interpret it.

2)  Involving Night Fight from the Scenarios.  Are the Night Fight rules automatically in effect on the specified turns?  Or do they follow the rules from the Rulebook and it is only Night Fight on a 4+?
1) Battle Brothers are treated as friendly units, everyone else no. (p. 112)
2) Night Fighting rules, page 124. The first and second FoB scenarios have Night Fighting turn 1. The last scenario, which must be the one in question, has Night Fighting Turns 5-7. I would assume that the Feast of Blades scenario overrides the BRB and that Night Fighting is in automatically.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:59:34 AM by Benjamin »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

1) Brothers are treated as friendly units, everyone else no. (p. 112)

Just remember, they get very specific about codex specific stuff (depending on codex) in each of the FAQs like Blood Angels' Sanguinary Priests only giving feel no pain to Blood Angels.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Wounds etc are not resolved one at a time, only if there is mixed armor saves involved.

If you have 10 marines with a 3+ save, you take 10 wounds, you roll 10 dice, fail 5 saves you then pull the 5 closest models, you dont roll 1 save after another until you fail. That would make the game absurd time wise.

If you have mixed armor I am pretty sure you cant start resolving against a different AV unless that model is the closest. So if you have 10 marines 9@ 3+ and 1 @ 2+ and the 2+ is in the front, if you take 10 wounds you then roll them 1 at a time against the 2+ until he fails then you roll the remaining saves and remove the next closest models as casualties. This is ignoring LoS roles if its a character, you toll until he fails then you LoS and if it passes you then continue rolling until he fails again etc.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2012, 09:56:22 AM »
That is essentially, just the way to "fast roll" the dice.  SInce all the saves are the same, you can roll them all at once.  You're still resolving each wound one at a time, however.  This means you can make look out sirs! one at a time, etc.

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »

We have established that even if you slay a challenger, you are still considered to be in base contact with that model until the end of the phase in which it is slain, per the Challenge rules.

I do not think this is true - the rule states that, For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to be in base to base contact with only each other.

That is not the same as saying "For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to be in base to base contact" or ""For the duration of a challenge, the two combatants are considered to always be in base to base contact with each other"

The challengers are not always in base contact, they are just never in base contact with anything else - thus, if one challenger dies the other is no longer in base contact with anyone else and wounds are allocated following the "nearest model" rules.

The fact that there is a "wound sponge" for the duration of the challenge is predicated on the fact that the two challengers are always in base to base contact, which is a grammatical misinterpretation of what is written in the rules.

There is a huge debate on this on practically every 40k forum currently... we are lucky enough to have Sam to make a decision we all agree to until the next FAQ comes out in August (and hopefully addresses this).

Look to the first paragraph under Challenge.  It explicitly states that the models must be positioned in base to base combat, and if you cannot, then you *assume* that they are in base to base.  They are in base to base the moment the challenge is issued until one is dead.

"If a challenge has been accepted, it is time to move the two combatants into base contact with each other.  Note that these moves cannot be used to move a character out of unit coherency.  If possible, swap the challenger for a friendly model in base contact with the challengee.  If this cannot be done, swap the challengee for a friendly model in base contract with the challenger.  If neither of these moves would result in the two models being in base contact 'swap' the challenger to as close as possible to the challengee and assume the two to be in base contact for the purposes of the ensuing fight....for the duration of the challenge, these two models are considered to be in base contact only with each other.

Show me how that they are not always in base contact, and only with each other.

I did in my last post. I do not want to belabor the point. The sentence about being in base contact only with each other has a misplaced modifier making it technically not true that the models are always in base with each other. It is incredibly easy to misread the sentence and infer that the models are always in base contact, people ignore such misplaced modifiers in speech all the time-but because "only" comes before the preposition "with" rather than after it you cannot just cleave off the prepositional phrase at the end of the sentence (which is necessary for the models to both be always in base contact AND in base contact with only each other). Because of that, you are technically not allowed to infer "always" in base contact, only that the models can never be in base contact with other models for the duration of the challenge.

I will happily agree that is probably not the intention, and the debate will likely be FAQ'd away, but at this very second the sentence does not mean the models are always in base to base contact due to poor grammar. The only thing that sentence confirms is that no other model may be in base to base with the challengers for the duration of the challenge.  ;D