Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34335 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
Ok but what happens if hes in the unit and the power is cast?  He is part of the unit so therefore gets the benefit.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Matt, the restriction on Fortune is only for Targeting purposes.  Once it is on a unit it affects all models in the unit, so your argument makes no sense.

The only question is if fortune cannot target an eldar unit with a noneldar IC attached to it.   There is nothing anywhere to suggest that an IC joining the unit stops the unit from being an eldar unit.  Therefore fortune can be placed on them.  As there is no restriction as to which models in a unit can benefit from fortune once in play, it affects everyone in the unit that is present when cast.

I will concede that DE units cannot be fortuned.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
Well, at least it's an answer. Thank you Sam. 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
Maybe we covered this already, but to be clear, a barrage weapon may not target a unit outside 36" during nightfight, irrespective of the fact that you do not need LOS, right? 

It seems pretty clear from the wording of nightfight ("Units outside 36 may not be targeted") but it came up at a tourney yesterday, and was contentious. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
Maybe we covered this already, but to be clear, a barrage weapon may not target a unit outside 36" during nightfight, irrespective of the fact that you do not need LOS, right? 

It seems pretty clear from the wording of nightfight ("Units outside 36 may not be targeted") but it came up at a tourney yesterday, and was contentious.

Unfortuently yes, makes me want to take crypteks with my imperial guard, the only question mark for me would be black sun filter with tau as i'm not sure how that is worded

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »

Yeah, I can see how that would contentious. The ol' standard of specific vs general doesn't help when there's a specific scenario with a specific type of weapon.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
I would stick with no. You may not need to have line of sight to them to shoot them but you have to atleast know they are there to shoot at. Night fight is rather clear that models over 36 away are impossible to see at all. No declaring artillery strikes over there in the darkness cause there might be enemies there.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »

Unfortuently yes, makes me want to take crypteks with my imperial guard, the only question mark for me would be black sun filter with tau as i'm not sure how that is worded

Blacksun=nightvision, and Nightvision says "ignore the rules of night fight".  So they just don't exist for that unit, it's daylight for them.  So Tau are free to hit you clear across the table with their broadsides at night. 

Yeah, I can see how that would contentious. The ol' standard of specific vs general doesn't help when there's a specific scenario with a specific type of weapon.

Yeah, but it's two specific rules that are pretty straightforward.

Barrage says "does not need LOS" and nightfight says "cannot target outside of 36"".  Now, if nightfight said, "you have no LOS to units outside 36"" ok, fine, you can obviously use barrage.  But it doesn't, it says "cannot target" so you cannot.  Now, it also didn't say "cannot hit" so there's nothing stopping you from targetting something at 35" and hoping it scatters.

Now as an aside.  the judge just 4+'d it, and the die said you could.  SO fine, I get hit.  But the mission had a special rule where a unit on an objective could shoot a large blast that did not need LOS.  I said "fine, I wasn't going to cuz it's night fight, but since you can target things outside 36", Imagonna use it. "

The dude said, "No, that's completely different" and made me get the judge over again to rule that I could.  WTF?!?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
OK, I got still more.

Can you FNP a perils of the warp result (FNP is specifically not a save)?

What is the cover save on top of a bastion?  (I would have said 4+, but someone pointed out that fortifications are 3+)

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
I want to make a small artillery traitor guard unit in the future so in night fight Griffons and Basilisks pretty much cant fire if i read this right?

corporaptor primus

• Email
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
For a regular & heavy venom cannon there's a -1 applied to the vehicle damage table. Does the -1 also apply to the building damage table?

Can the Eldar Vibro cannon hit a flier?

Broodlord has a BS of 0. Can he still use a nova psychic power? How about a beam psychic power?

When shooting at a flier your BS is considered 1. Does that mean a Broodlord's BS improves to 1 to shoot at a flier?

(I already had this answered seperately but wanted to put this out there for others) Does a Tervigon with Gate of Infinity psychic power breed before teleporting, after teleporting or not at all?

Thanks!

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »
Response thread updated.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »
"What is the cover save on top of a bastion?" Ambiguous. Decide with your opponent before the game begins.

I think we need an actual ruling on this, since it could influence whether to purchase a bastion in one's army list (I know it would directly impact whether I personally bring a bastion to a tournament). 

Page 18, which is the only place that describes which terrain provides which cover, says " Purpose-built fortifications confer a 3+cover save and most other things confer a 4+ or 5+ cover save."  It repeats this again in the table that enumerates the different types of cover saves.

What is the argument for it being anything other than a 3+?   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:45:13 PM by andalucien »
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
A fortification, according to the rulebook, is one of several buildings that can be added to your army list. An Aegis Defense Line is also a fortification; it is terrain type: Battlefield Debris, which grants a 4+ cover save. So being a fortification does not automatically grant 3+ cover save status. This issue will likely be covered in the new round of FAQs in September. If the status of that cover save will determine whether or not you purchase a bastion, I would assume you would rather find out what cover save it will grant for the next several years, not the next several weeks. Hence my recommendation to decide it with your opponent before each game.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Haha, Sam... I have already PURCHASED a Bastion (using dollars).  I'm talking about deciding whether to purchase it for a given tournament (using points) in the sense of including it in my army list.  To make THAT decision, I should know how it's going to be played, right?   It's either that, or I can go through this same argument with each opponent before the round begins, and then inevitably we'll come up to you asking for a ruling during the tournement anyway (unless the other guy happens to agree with me that it should be a 3+)...

Hmm, I see your point about the Aegis defense line.  It specifically says that it counts as Battlefield Debris...  and conceptually it is still a fortification... so I admit that this isn't as cut and dried as I thought.

However, I still think that the evidence points toward it being a 3+.  The Aegis' decription classifies it as a terrain type which has an associated cover save (in the Battlefield Debris section).  The Bastion doesn't classify it as any terrain type.   So you have to look elsewhere to figure out what type of terrain it is.   Of the various types of terrain for which a cover save is defined, Fortification seems like the front-runner there...     

Anyway.  That's my pitch for it being a 3+.  But while I would disagree with a ruling that called it 4+, I would much rather have such a ruling than have to discuss before every game in a tournament setting.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.