Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34319 times)

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
This is an interesting distinction. I do not buy your last point, allied detachments still have a troops section, but the difference between what is an enemy to me vs my models is interesting.

Right, I was just pointing out the extremes in a RAW/RAI discussion.

Basically instead of getting caught up on the word "enemy" in:
"You control an objective if there is at least one model from one of your scoring units, and no models from enemy denial units, within 3" of it."
you are reading it to be more like:
"You control an objective if there is at least one model from one of your scoring units, and no models from opponent's denial units, within 3" of it."
which makes sense.
[/quote]

That's basically it.  Everything in the allied section refers to "your army" not "individual units".
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
Thread-o-mancy?

So, Chaos bikes... Can you switch out the bike's bolter for a different weapon?

Quote from: Bay Area Open FAQ
Models with a Chaos bike may use their twin linked bolter as the replacement when the Chaos Wargear Lists says, “a model can replace one weapon with…”

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
Yes.  Leaving you the bonus attack from the pistol.  It's probably a little noticed but important buff compared to other bikes. 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
Oh, and it'n threadomacy, that's what this thread is for.  :)

Serious question for Sam:  What IS the cover save behind a Bastion?  Not on the battlements, but a tank hunkered mostly behind it or similar.

I won't go through the special reasons for each of the possible answers, any ruling is fine, just so I never have to argue about it in a game again.  :)

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
4+.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »
Best rules question in a long time tonight, posed by our youngest Thursday 40k regular Argo.

"Does a Relic held by a model embarked in a Night Scythe go into Reserve with the model holding it after the Night Scythe inevitably crashes?"

Really, RAW doesn't address this specific situation at all, so it could go either way.

The ruling, made by Sam after ten minutes of poring over books, is that the Relic could not be placed "reserve" space as it is effectively impassible. So we follow the procedure for the Relic ending in impassible terrain and then scatter the Relic 1" from the vehicle.

So a question and an answer.

Edit: Whoops, missed an important "not" in that explanation.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:28:34 AM by Benjamin »

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:37 AM »
Thread-o-mancy?

Models with a Chaos bike may use their twin linked bolter as the replacement when the Chaos Wargear Lists says, “a model can replace one weapon with…”

It is right out of the book that you can do it so I don't understand why they FAQed it?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »

andalucien

• God
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
Thread-o-mancy?

It is right out of the book that you can do it so I don't understand why they FAQed it?

I think they are talking about e.g. a Lord on a bike subsituting out the bike's bolter for a Burning Brand of Scalathrax, rather than needing to replace one of his combat weapons (thus, he gains an attack this way). 
Army Builder doesn't let you do this btw.  So there must be at least some folks out there who don't think it should be allowed, & merits an FAQ

Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
Yes, army builder is wrong, they don't let you do it for the FA slot, either.

"Up to two bikes may replace either their ccw or their bikes TL boltgun...."

That's pretty unequivocal.

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
"Does a Relic held by a model embarked in a Night Scythe go into Reserve with the model holding it after the Night Scythe inevitably crashes?"

Really, RAW doesn't address this specific situation at all, so it could go either way.

The ruling, made by Sam after ten minutes of poring over books, is that the Relic could not be placed "reserve" space as it is effectively impassible. So we follow the procedure for the Relic ending in impassible terrain and then scatter the Relic 1" from the vehicle.

This is a pretty important ruling.  There's another hole in the Relic rules in that they don't specify exactly WHEN/WHERE the model drops the Relic if he moves faster than allowed with it.  Ff you were allowed to make your full 12" (say, for a biker) move with it and drop it at the END, that would be extremely powerful and seemingly against the intention of the move restrictions. 

As a note, the new Adepticon FAQ has ruled that for all such instances, and for any instance when the carrying model leaves the table (including the Night Scythe attempted shenanigans), the Relic is dropped from the position where the carrying model began that phase. 

http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2013/40KAddendum.pdf

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »
That's strange to me, because it's pretty clear that the Relic can't be moved more than 6". I'd just as well have assumed that a model moving faster simply drops the relic in the middle of moving, should he be moving more than 6".

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Oh, here's a question Sam, where I will once again not mention all the different factors to the argument.

Do Hurricane Bolters (on a LRC, say) benefit from the DA devastation banner?

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »
Oh, here's a question Sam, where I will once again not mention all the different factors to the argument.

Do Hurricane Bolters (on a LRC, say) benefit from the DA devastation banner?

Why wouldn't they?  Hurricane is three twinlinked Boltguns that fire as a single system.  Dev banner specifically states it works on Boltguns.  As the hurricane boltguns have the exact same profile as a boltergun (unlike a Heavy Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter, ad nauseum that have different profiles), I see no reason why the banner would not affect it.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
Because they're not boltguns?

Anyway, I in no way want to reopen the argument on them, I just want a ruling from Sam.