Author Topic: Post Megabattle review  (Read 1488 times)

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Post Megabattle review
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
Another great year, another great disorder, um...

Let us start a recap about the best moments and the worst; what played well in 6th ed and what rolled ones. I enjoyed this years game and I think it had a lot to do with the people who came and played along with great looking tables. Post your thoughts, coments, and best memories of this years event.

Brandon

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
Re: Post Megabattle review
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
I had a moment of panic when a line of multiple Hierodules (Tyranid Gargantuan creatures), Hive tyrants, and Tyrannofexes ran up to my gunline and a smoke screen obscured my line of sight to them. Then it rained Mycetic Spores....

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:32:09 AM »
Well I have two issues from MegaBattle, in how things were executed not so much in things that happened.  Firstly with the double Ambush asset.  In 6th edition, wounds are put to the model not the unit.  Therefore a unit of 100 models that comes on the table, if you are hitting it with two Ambushes, each model should have two shots put on it, not the unit having 200 shots put on the unit.  I argued this point at the game and was overruled, but I still think this was applied incorrectly.

The bigger issue is, that this shouldn't have happened in the first place.  That unit was supposed to be on the table from the get go, partially protected by the sweet night provided by the Ork's Necron allies.  Since most of the Necron codex was banned/then not banned, it forced our Necrons to revamp their list and drastically change our tactics right before the game.  In a game where the rules are already set up heavily in favor of Space Marines (yes I know that that is GW's cash cow and so I accept and understand why that is) that right before hand that rules where ripped out of the game that gave non-space marine armies a way to compete.  The one turn of night fighting by the "Lords of Twilight" asset didn't really hamper the order side all that much considering all their vehicles have ways of dealing with night fighting already.  Supposedly it isn't "fun" to make imperial players have to deal with night fighting, but it is apparently "fun" to have non-power armored players to set up 100 models, then to immediately take off 100 models with zero die rolls on their part.  It still annoys me that I lost 1/4 of my army and I had no die rolls to do anything about it, because we had to change tactics because major abilities of our side were banned.

It was unfortunate that this was all an issue, since for me it soured an otherwise great event.  It was a great deal of fun and a lot of cool things happened.  I will post some of those later, I just wanted to get this out of my system.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
So, while I was on the moon, fighting against the nids, I was a little curious on how the whole thing played out with this.

Well I have two issues from MegaBattle, in how things were executed not so much in things that happened.  Firstly with the double Ambush asset.  In 6th edition, wounds are put to the model not the unit.  Therefore a unit of 100 models that comes on the table, if you are hitting it with two Ambushes, each model should have two shots put on it, not the unit having 200 shots put on the unit.  I argued this point at the game and was overruled, but I still think this was applied incorrectly.

At first when I heard about this I was a little curious, horrified and I admit I giggled a little at the silliness of how effective one (or two) assets could be.  What struck me the most was how it was handled.  While it's always fun to troll people, making someone place all 100 first, without telling them what is about to happen can be a little less than gentlemanly.   You know, so you can decide to not place everything just to pull it all off again.

The next, on to the rules idea.  It seemed odd to me about how it was executed in terms of simultaneous shooting.  I guess since they were both declared they both happened simultaneously?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but let me run through the events as far as I understand it:

1. Orks walked on to the field via flank march asset
2. Ambush was declared by 2 different order players
3. 200 dice were rolled against the unit
4. 95 orks died and were removed from the table

Things that leap out to me that need clarification (far more than power axes vs. power swords)
-6th edition dictates that you must roll against the closest model.  Where does the shooting of the ambush come from? 

-If it comes from anywhere, how does it interact with cover, etc. 

-iirc, 6th edition rules say you remove the closest model and then keep rolling wounds until all the reachable models are killed.

Now, from the receiving angle, how do you think it could have gone differently considering how 6th edition wound allocation happened and the lack of direction of the shots?

The bigger issue is, that this shouldn't have happened in the first place.  That unit was supposed to be on the table from the get go, partially protected by the sweet night provided by the Ork's Necron allies.  Since most of the Necron codex was banned/then not banned, it forced our Necrons to revamp their list and drastically change our tactics right before the game.  In a game where the rules are already set up heavily in favor of Space Marines (yes I know that that is GW's cash cow and so I accept and understand why that is) that right before hand that rules where ripped out of the game that gave non-space marine armies a way to compete.  The one turn of night fighting by the "Lords of Twilight" asset didn't really hamper the order side all that much considering all their vehicles have ways of dealing with night fighting already.  Supposedly it isn't "fun" to make imperial players have to deal with night fighting, but it is apparently "fun" to have non-power armored players to set up 100 models, then to immediately take off 100 models with zero die rolls on their part.  It still annoys me that I lost 1/4 of my army and I had no die rolls to do anything about it, because we had to change tactics because major abilities of our side were banned.
I know this feeling well.  I can tell you that the forums on the order side were quiet on this.  We found out later that some necron dude was banned.  Then he was unbanned.  I was unconcerned for two reasons, 1) on the moon so it didn't affect me directly 2) well... unsurprised in some ways.

It was unfortunate that this was all an issue, since for me it soured an otherwise great event.  It was a great deal of fun and a lot of cool things happened.  I will post some of those later, I just wanted to get this out of my system.

I hear you.  Seriously.  All the armies of the Imperium have some tricks and when combined with datasheets and each other become down right crazy.  It's always overshadowed by the obviousness of things.  I mean, on a powerscale, you don't get more obvious than a banelord or An'ggrath.  Then everyone forgets about the Assault terminators, thunderwolves and other derpy units that just crush things and are from the original codecies.  Never mind that titan hammer squads which... if read a certain way are absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, we played on the moon against a bunch of nid players.  Now they brought some big stuff to bear, but so did we.  Across 32,000 points only 1 d weapon on the table.  Why was there only 1 d weapon on the table?  Because we already were at an advantage based on general codex strength. 

40k as a game, rules wise, is inherently unbalanced.  As a thematic, story driven game it is wonderful.  It requires a lot of "gentlemen's" agreements otherwise it's too easy for the boat to tip in one direction.

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
The heart of the issue is that without any conversation and only hours before the main event this was what was banned from my codex:

Units:
Imotekh
Crypteks who can solar pulse
Cryptek Of Transmogrification
C'tans Abilities which included anything to do with table altering (3 of )

Wargear:
Tremorstave
Seismic Crucible

and all other units who can do these / use these from the codex

All in all after the complete list of bans was decided I lost about 45 % of my codex and no longer could play the night-lock tremor-cron army that I bought and modeled for this event because as Chase stated it would not be "fun and fair" to the order side. Then several other events like ambush happened. Now I personally do not care out the power of assets and that is not the issue. What I care about is that at this level of competition it should be all or nothing, not ban a codex then let everything else go. Our side had a plan in place with the army I built, it was then ripped from the game, and by 7:00 the night of after I had broke apart and re-modeled my army to make it legal, it was unbanned. Yet, because of the respect I have for both Derek and the community I brought a lesser form of what I planned to bring. One can understand my frustration. And in truth, I am kind of pissed at the way Chase had called me out personally about the rule changes. "The necron codex is to blame for this" is the last statement of his main post in general forums and after hearing a few comments (that I know where hearsay) from order players that he made, I am upset that an employee representative who had been dealing with this issue in privet team forums would bring it out to the community in such a way. Granted I hold nothing against him and understand that in the heat of stress shit gets said and done. Next year like I tried to do this year in Jan. we will all have to really discuses how go about this issues. The event is hard enough to plan and run; and I know that last thing anyone wants is to mare up such an awesome time. And it was. As always Derek and Chase (all others who helped) thank you for another great year and look forward to many more. Disorder is planning the come back. (12 Pylons?)

Brandon     
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:27:54 AM by SyRael »

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
It sucks that you had to go through that dude :/

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
I'd just like to point out that the only models / powers banned were:

Imotekh the Storm Lord Megabattle Ruiner
and
The Necron that makes the entire board difficult terrain

Then we unbanned them and restricted ALL board-wide effects.

I'll say it here again, if the reasons why these models were banned is unclear I really don't know what I can say.  If you think it has to do with the killing potential of these figures, you're entirely incorrect.

The Necron book WAS the reason for the restriction.  Each year we've pealed restrictions back further and further.  When all board wide effects get restricted, especially last minute, people want a reason.  Instead of a few phone calls and several emails having to explain to everyone the entire situation, I told them what the reason was.

Things that are probably not obvious to everyone is that the two primary concerns I have with the Megabattle are:

1)  The speed of the game.
2)  People being able to actually play the game.

Imotekh will:

1)  Slow down the game.
2)  Potentially deny players from playing for multiple turns.  (Lol, oops, it's Night Fight again, lol)

Things I've learned not to worry about:

1) TONS of stuff dying to well played Super Heavies or Assests.

Flank Marching a Green Tide is a super cheese move.  Smoking a Green Tide with two uses of Ambush is too.  That's the Megabattle.  Sometimes it sucks like that.  Tons of shit dies in a matter of seconds.

In my opinion, that situation is a LOT different than "Well... 80% of my army can't shoot because they can't see anything.  I guess I'll just move and hope."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:06:11 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
Not that I was there, but chase you realize that Nightfighting is just 36" now is maximum shooting distance and there are just ranges for cover saves....

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Flank marching a green tide is suicide.  It's dumb, if a bit orky but not cheesey.

EDIT:

Because I was on my phone, I couldn't clarify.  You cannot assault after coming in from reserve unless you have rules that override it.  So a green tide that does so is just toast when 2 leman russes give it a little attention.

Were all the ideas of being unfair made without a conscious thought of all the rules?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:48:41 PM by the_trooper »

The Bobastic

• Order
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
All I have to say is Vortex Grenade and punching Titans with Powerfists ftw.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
really the night fighting was a minor part of it, is simply the fact that any single model that adds potentially 100+ extra die rolls each turn is going to be a problem, we barely got through 3 turns in 10 hours, if everyone had to roll for difficult plus lighting strikes we might as well change that to 2 turns in 10 hours.

I do have some ideas in mind for allowing the storm lord to be used, be fun, be effective but not slow the game to a crawl. the big thing is going to be working out a way to get interceptors done in less than 45 minutes.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
really the night fighting was a minor part of it, is simply the fact that any single model that adds potentially 100+ extra die rolls each turn is going to be a problem, we barely got through 3 turns in 10 hours, if everyone had to roll for difficult plus lighting strikes we might as well change that to 2 turns in 10 hours.

I do have some ideas in mind for allowing the storm lord to be used, be fun, be effective but not slow the game to a crawl. the big thing is going to be working out a way to get interceptors done in less than 45 minutes.

Does anyone remember how long it took for Turn 1, I think I recall notices it almost done around the 4 hour mark :)

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
What left a bad taste in my mouth was poor attitudes by some players both Order and Disorder whow ill remain nameless less they really want to be called out. Also the fact that I was ignorent of rules that are barely 2 months old its my fault? Sorry no. Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have. I could not play a good hunk of the game because Flyers can be intercepted and oh look theyw ere carrying a good hunk of my army. If they get blown up AFTER they drop my army fine what ever they did their job but it sucks they get blown up before I have a chance to do ANYTHING. Necron Pylons having a 180 inch range and apprently line of site to flyers was dumb. We basicly had to play Simon Says with the Necrons and all fliers had to come in in the safest spot on the board which was covered by Ork Flak guns.

In the end its just a game with plastic Men dice and measuring tape so im not all that upset. Just the poor Attitudes of some select players sealed my army's demise and ticked me off. If I did not deal with poor attitudes with the demise of my army I probably would care less. Its a game have fun leave the attitude problems at the door.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:52:12 PM by Grand Master Steve »

Cyklone

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
My first megabattle, it was indeed an amazing time. I caught some issues here and there but there always are. With 6th ed just coming out, it was actually the first game i played of it and enjoyed it greatly. Thank you all for an awesome game! Made the ride from jersey with Mr. Hong and Mr. Do worth it!

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

Also the fact that I was ignorent of rules that are barely 2 months old its my fault? Sorry no.

Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have.

Actually Steve -- Yes, while it's ok not to be an expert on the rules, you should be prepared then to look up the relevant rules as they come up.

It sucks that that happened to you, but if something shoots at you and you don't know what it is, and it sounds fishy, ask to see the rules for that unit -- everyone is supposed to bring the rules for that relevant unit during the Megabattle.

I do feel bad that your stuff got shot down,  but let's use this as a lesson for the future -- the person doing the shooting could also have just misread his rules and didn't know what he was doing was wrong.