Author Topic: Commander League 3 (Plainville) - suggestions  (Read 1831 times)

twbird18

• Email
Commander League 3 (Plainville) - suggestions
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Last chance for input into the fall league scoring system -

Ideas that I have but may not figure out how to implement this fall:

1. What do you think about randomly putting a bounty on someones head each week and earning points for eliminating that player/doing something to this player - good or bad - helping them get lands, draw cards - win the game, lose the game, etc?

2. Doing away with the random prizes  - instead using the same amount of money from the prize pool to create a commander prize binder that 1 or more randomly selected people could get free cards from each week (promos, sol ring, artifact mana, lands, nothing major, but items that can help out a deck).

current suggested rules:

Commander League 3
September 20th – Dec 6th
7:30pm-?

To kick off the 3rd league – Game 1 of Week 1 will be a Planechase free-for-all. Pods determined based on the number of players.

League Info:

•   Open to anyone with a commander deck
•   Entry fee: $10 to join league
               Entry fee earns:
                  Entry into league for scoring & prizes
                  $8 store credit or 2 booster packs
o   Weekly play fee: $2
              To be added to prize pool

Banned list and rules will be from www.mtgcommander.net

•   Ancestral Recall
•   Balance
•   Biorhythm
•   Black Lotus
•   Coalition Victory
•   Channel
•   Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
•   Fastbond
•   Gifts Ungiven
•   Kokusho, the Evening Star
•   Karakas
•   Library of Alexandria
•   Limited Resources
•   Metalworker
•   Sundering Titan
•   Mox Sapphire, Ruby, Pearl, Emerald and Jet
•   Painter's Servant
•   Panoptic Mirror
•   Protean Hulk
•   Recurring Nightmare
•   Staff of Domination
•   Sway of the Stars
•   Time Vault
•   Time Walk
•   Tinker
•   Tolarian Academy
•   Upheaval
•   Yawgmoth's Bargain
•   Griselbrand

Additionally, the following are Banned as commanders

o   Braids, Cabal Minion
o   Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
o   Erayo, Soratami Ascendant

•   League play will be on Thursday nights or other nights as agreed on by 3 or more participants

•   Games will be multiplayer and played until a winner is determined.

•   All games will be free-for-all – some weeks may include Archenemy or Planechase cards

•   A scoring system will be used to encourage more casual play

•   Prizes
            Top 4 – Store credit
            Winner – name on the Commander League Plaque

Scoring System:

-5 points: Demonstrate a game winning/controlling combo - after combo, player exits game and game continues from previous state. (Players who control a combo and leave the game without affecting the current board state will not lose points)

-4 points: Eliminate a player before turn 5

+5points:
•   Win via an alternate win condition as stated on a card (ex. Barren Glory)
•   Eliminate all players at the same time.

+3 points:
•   Cast your general 10 or more times
•   Win the game at 40 life/ Killing an opponent from 40 life in 1 turn
•   Play the 5th spell of a turn
•   Level up a creature to its max level
•   Play 5 spells/permanents for free
•   Control +3 of every permanent type (Land, Planeswalker, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment)
o    +1 point if a player controls +3 tokens
o    +1 point if a player controls +3 opponents permanents

+2 points:
•   Prevent a wrath effect (i.e. Wrath of God, Nevinyrral’s Disk, etc)
•   Destroy 10 or more creatures at one time
•   Switch permanents with another player
•   Control a cycle of cards (i.e. Swords, Rings, Leylines)
•   Game lasts more than 10 turns
•   Eliminate a player

+ 1 point:
•   Take back a permanent you own.
•   Cast your general
•   Copy another players card
•   Gain more than 10 life in 1 turn
•   Eliminate a player on someone else’s turn
•   Save opponent from elimination
•   Play each week
•   Control +3 of a permanent type excluding lands
•   +1 point using a different general (try something new) – store has decks available for those that only have one deck

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:48:59 AM by twbird18 »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Commander League 3 (Plainville) - suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
Dates have been snactioned through Nov 1st.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

alfreddziewit

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
twbird18 wrote: Commander League 3 (Plainville) - suggestions
          « on: August 26, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »

Last chance for input into the fall league scoring system -

Ideas that I have but may not figure out how to implement this fall:

1. What do you think about randomly putting a bounty on someones head each week and earning points for eliminating that player/doing something to this player - good or bad - helping them get lands, draw cards - win the game, lose the game, etc?

i like this idea.
there should be weekly random selection from those players in attendance on Thursday at 7:30pm and remain in effect until the next Thursday.  the chosen player should be given the option of declining the title of "Bounty."  if such player declines, then this process is repeated once more at random.  if the second chosen player also declines, then there is no bounty for the week.

the player accepting the title of "bounty" receives +25 points as a bonus and is the only player eligible for BONUS BOUNTY points (see below) during the week.  the reason behind the bonus points, is that the player will be targeted for elimination above all.  this may present a challenge for some players, either positive or negative.

the weekly Bounty's name should be posted on the tally board.

2. Doing away with the random prizes  - instead using the same amount of money from the prize pool to create a commander prize binder that 1 or more randomly selected people could get free cards from each week (promos, sol ring, artifact mana, lands, nothing major, but items that can help out a deck).

imo, eliminate the "top 4 prize" structure, and instead of random players/selection, make all players points worth "Commander League" credit.  the player with the most points at the end of the season will get their name on the Commander League Plaque.
all other players will share in the pool of commander league credits based on their personal score as a percentage of the sum total of the league scores:

Individual Player Score
-----------------------  x  Total Weekly Play Fee  =  Player "Commander League" credit.
Sum League Total Scores

The minimum player "Commander League" credit must be greater than 10% of the total of the Weekly Play Fee. A player can then use this credit as store credit for product or to "purchase" cards from a reserved collection of "Commander League" only cards.  much like suggested above: promos, sol ring, artifact mana, lands; items that can help out a deck.

If these league games can be registered with Wizards as "sanctioned" events for the WPN, then each player may be eligible for promo cards from the WPN, much like FNM or other Game Days/PreReleases, etc.  Chase is looking into this recognition of casual games for the WPN.

To kick off the 3rd league – Game 1 of Week 1 will be a Planechase free-for-all. Pods determined based on the number of players.

i also like this idea.
details must be announced in advance, regarding the players PlaneChase cards/decks and what is available for those players without any of the PlaneChase products.

my suggestion for modification to the rules and point system:

League Info:
------------------------------------------------
Commander League 3
September 20th – Dec 6th
7:30pm - closing.

•   Open to anyone with a commander deck and a DCI number.
•   Entry fee: $10 to join league.
  •  Entry into league for scoring and prizes.
  •  $8 store credit or 2 booster packs.
•   Weekly Play Fee: $2.
  •  Added to prize pool
  •  Wizards Planeswalker Points

Banned list and rules will be from www.mtgcommander.net

•   Ancestral Recall
•   Balance
•   Biorhythm
•   Black Lotus
•   Coalition Victory
•   Channel
•   Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
•   Fastbond
•   Gifts Ungiven
•   Kokusho, the Evening Star
•   Karakas
•   Library of Alexandria
•   Limited Resources
•   Metalworker
•   Sundering Titan
•   Mox Sapphire, Ruby, Pearl, Emerald and Jet
•   Painter's Servant
•   Panoptic Mirror
•   Protean Hulk
•   Recurring Nightmare
•   Staff of Domination
•   Sway of the Stars
•   Time Vault
•   Time Walk
•   Tinker
•   Tolarian Academy
•   Upheaval
•   Yawgmoth's Bargain
•   Griselbrand

Additionally, the following are Banned as commanders:

•   Braids, Cabal Minion
•   Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
•   Erayo, Soratami Ascendant

•   League play will be on Thursday nights or other nights as agreed on by 3 or more participants

•   Games will be multiplayer and played until a winner is determined.

•   All games will be free-for-all – some weeks may include Archenemy, Planechase, OR Vanguard cards.

•   A scoring system will be used to encourage more casual play

•   Winner – name on the Commander League Plaque

Scoring System:
+20 points: Bring a new player (not previously enrolled in League 1 or 2)
            to a Commander League session and they join the league.

+5 points: Best player of the week.  (majority vote by ballot)
 +5 points: Best play/turn of the week.  (majority vote by ballot)

-5 points: Demonstrate a game winning/controlling combo.
            After combo, the player exits game and the game continues from previous state.
            (Players who control a combo and leave the game without
             affecting the current board state will not lose points)

-5 points: Eliminate a player before turn 5.
 -2 points: Shuffling your library more than 10 times.
+10 points: Eliminate the Bounty before turn 5.

+5 points:
•   Win via an alternate win condition as stated on a card. (ex. Barren Glory)
•   Eliminate all players at the same time, but not by an alternative win condition.
•   Winning the game by eliminating the Bounty.
•   Save opponent from elimination.
•   Cast your general 10 or more times.
•   Control +3 of every permanent type. (Land, Planeswalker, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment)
  •  +1 point  if a player controls +3 tokens.
  •  +3 points if a player controls +3 opponents permanents.

+3 points:
•   Win the game at 40 life.
•   Killing an opponent from 40 life in 1 turn.
•   Killing an opponent with 21 Commander damage in 1 turn.
•   Eliminate a player on someone else’s turn.
•   Play 5 different spells in a turn.
•   Level up a creature to its max level.
•   Play 5 spells/permanents for free.

+2 points:
•   Prevent a wrath/reset effect. (ex. Wrath of God, Nevinyrral’s Disk)
•   Destroy 20+ permanents of only a single type at one time. (Land, Planeswalker, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment)
•   Switch permanents with another player.
•   Control a cycle of cards. (ex. Swords, Rings, Leylines, lands, creatures)
•   Game lasts more than 10 turns.
•   Copy the same spell 5 times using the same priority stack.
•   Exile 20+ cards.
•   Eliminate a player.

+ 1 point:
•   Cast your general.
•   Gain control of a permanent you don't own by an effect you control.
•   Take back a permanent you own.
•   Copy another players card.
•   Cast another players spell on your turn. (not Mindslaver effect)
•   Gain more than 10 life in 1 turn.
•   Control 5+ of a permanent type excluding lands.
•   Control 5+ creatures each with a different creature type.
•   Play each week.
•   Play in multiple games per week using a different general.
    (try something new – store has decks available for those that only have one deck)

Bounty Player - BONUS Scoring:
+20 points: Agree to become the Bounty for the session.
+20 points: Eliminate all players at the same time, but not by an alternative win condition.
 +5 points: Game lasts more than 7 complete turns.
 +2 points: A player is eliminated by another non-Bounty player.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to draw an extra card.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to play an extra land per turn.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to gaine 1 life.
 -5 points: Being saved from elimination by an opponent.

twbird18

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »

imo, eliminate the "top 4 prize" structure, and instead of random players/selection, make all players points worth "Commander League" credit.  the player with the most points at the end of the season will get their name on the Commander League Plaque.
all other players will share in the pool of commander league credits based on their personal score as a percentage of the sum total of the league scores:

Doing away with the Prize structure - I'm all for this.  It's a hassle for me & most people don't seem to care about it at all.  The biggest issue with eliminating it right now is that there may not be enough time to  establish a "commander" prize pool.  The pool should be separate from the cards in the rare case. We are working on a separate binder now that will be the prize pool, but it simply may not be ready in time for league 3 - suitable cards have to be found & someone has to maintain this binder, while ensuring that the store doesn't lose money.  Not really a big problem, just a small logistical item to be worked out. Commander league isn't exactly high on anyone's priority list. 

The only down side I can see to this is that people's scores suddenly become more important (I didn't actually blow people out over the summer, I just actually tracked my points) & there can be the perception that we are giving away legitimate prizes - moving us away from the casual realm. There is a very fine line between fun and competition.

If these league games can be registered with Wizards as "sanctioned" events for the WPN, then each player may be eligible for promo cards from the WPN, much like FNM or other Game Days/PreReleases, etc.  Chase is looking into this recognition of casual games for the WPN.[/i]

Already done, we just have to remind Matt to enter us into WER every week.

details must be announced in advance, regarding the players PlaneChase cards/decks and what is available for those players without any of the PlaneChase products.

Planechase free-for-all - I planned to have 2 pods of 4-8 people.  1 pod can use the 2009 planes & 1 pod can have the 2012 planes.  I guess the real question is who else has Planes in case we have more than 16 players, but I don't really anticipate sudden growth beyond that. Planechase games are much faster & more varied - I feel we could easily finish a game with 8 people.

•   All games will be free-for-all – some weeks may include Archenemy, Planechase, OR Vanguard cards.

No problem - this has been the rule for 2 leagues & as far as I know no one has played any games with Archenemy or Planechase

+20 points: Bring a new player (not previously enrolled in League 1 or 2)
            to a Commander League session and they join the league.

Seems like a good way to grow the league

+5 points: Best player of the week.  (majority vote by ballot)
 +5 points: Best play/turn of the week.  (majority vote by ballot)

Getting people to vote, especially every week is hard - as is tracking this.  Also, many people don't want to vote for some reason. This is basically what was in the first league - very few people ever voted during the week.

•   Exile 20+ cards.

Seems fine - but easy to do with any number of graveyard effects (relic, tormod's crypt etc).

Bounty Player - BONUS Scoring:
+20 points: Agree to become the Bounty for the session.
+20 points: Eliminate all players at the same time, but not by an alternative win condition.
 +5 points: Game lasts more than 7 complete turns.
 +2 points: A player is eliminated by another non-Bounty player.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to draw an extra card.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to play an extra land per turn.
 +1 point : Causing an opponent to gain 1 life.
 -5 points: Being saved from elimination by an opponent.

These all seem fine. If we make the bounty a big focus of earning points - it can't be a random selection.  Everyone would need the opportunity to have be the bounty at some point.  They can still choose not to do it.  Perhaps - someone can volunteer to be the bounty for week 2 & then in week 2 every one can pick a week in which they will be the bounty.  There can be 2 bounties per week to allow for the number of players & they should not play in the same game for that week?

Also, I had thought about simply making up a completely separate bounty scoring system each week to make the bounty more fun - aside from attempting to eliminate the bounty.  I think that certain rules probably shouldn't apply to the bounty - such as have a game controlling combo - the bounty should probably be able to win however they can without penalty.

Another alternative to extra point scoring that I was considering was making the bounty be the archenemy in a game each week or making the scoring leader be the bounty/archenemy - perhaps an idea for the spring league if the bounty works out.

alfreddziewit

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
Prize Structure:
Just eliminate it.
A plaque with the season winner's name and any wizards promo cards weekly.
Put the Weekly Play Fee into a kitty and then build out a binder with "Commander League" cards in exchange for points to be implemented in season four.  I have commander appropriate cards to trade into the binder for "whatever."  I think the barrier to entry for some people is having access to appropriate cards to expand/tweak their decks.  If we have new people interested in playing, having a resource for better deck construction will only help those of us that are already committed, to have a large group of people to play with/against.

PlaneChase for Week 1:
I have both sets and only missing the one promo plane (Tazeem).  I will have my cards with me as well.  I am happy to play, so whatever the specific details of the planechase deck will suit me just fine.

RE: Vanguard:
I am going to acquire the last two cards I am missing, but people can easily look-up the abilities online and tweak their decks.

RE: Bounty:
I really like the idea of bounty and hunters.  It changes the politics a bit.  Whatever the specific rules in place, I think there needs to be some incentive for anyone to be hunted.