Author Topic: Annual MegaBattle Thanks!!!  (Read 4960 times)

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
Annual MegaBattle Thanks!!!
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:39:21 AM »
I just want to thanks everyone who put in tremendous effort to make such a great enviroment for new and old games alike. The Terrain was Amazing, The Teams well balanced, and atmosphere was controlled chaos and well worth every bit!

I can't wait to do this again..

Cheers.

Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Re: Annual MegaBattle Thanks!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »
I just want to thanks everyone who put in tremendous effort to make such a great enviroment for new and old games alike. The Terrain was Amazing, The Teams well balanced, and atmosphere was controlled chaos and well worth every bit!

I can't wait to do this again..

Cheers.

I'd agree for the most part, but I must insist the atmosphere was not one of controlled chaos, but of uncontrolled order.   ;D

What comes out of these things in the log run is memories.  What I brought home with me...

• My flying saucer shrugging of a strafing run by 3 Dark Eldar air to mud aircraft.
  • Twenty four guided shots from a war walker squadron dinging an air to mud aircraft.  The golden BB lives!
  • Two vipers, a prism, 3 wraithlord, an avatar focusing on a stompa that for the most part shrugged it off.
  • Dismay at seeing Nurgle seize my table's objective, having absolutely no chance to retake it, only to have Nurgle destroy the objective, freeing my force to help defend the train station.
  • A stompa going apocalyptic, and taking out most of my force.
  • The saucer blowing out another stopmpa Revenge can be cool, while still seeming insufficient.
  • Five shining spear and an autarch rolling over a lone war boss.  (Every once in a while, something ought to be easy)!
  • An absurdly long range orc missile shot rolling 3 chain reactions in a row to take out the saucer.
  • Late game overkill strafing runs by my fighters established clear control of the train station and boot hill, though allied forces might have been able to work it without them.
  • After failing to engage the disruptor beacon four times in a row, I finally managed to get it to work once...  bouncing out the necron lord with the void grenade tying to pop in next to a warhound and baneblade.
  • The big question before the game was whether to go for the first turn's monster bombardments, or second for the last turn's ability to contest objectives.  Answer...  inconclusive.

Over all, a great experience...

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
Yes, it was an awesome game -- Great work everyone!

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
Great job Derek, Chase and to you awesome terrain makers!

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »

*Ehem.*
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »
Rob, you going imperial again next year? I think it's time I served "teh emporor lol" for once. Maybe I'll even build a titan :P

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

*Ehem.*

heheheehehe

He must have missed the daemon humping the reaver's leg.

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »
*Spritz* Bad Angrath! NO! not on the company
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

*Ehem.*

Ehem?  You want me to blame a certain Imperial Titan, rather than the stompa?  Is the titan crew painting kill silhouettes for a prism, two wraithlords and a viper on the titan's boast board?   :D

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »
Yah, thank you everyone for such a great day, espcially derek and chase. Terrain was awesome, armies were cool, things seemed to go fairly smoothly. There were a few things that left people feeling a little torn inside, but these are things we will learn by and change hopefully for next years megabattle.

I had a great time except for turns 1 and 2 when I expected to get wiped out and the game to be over by turn 3; still am not sure how I didnt get wiped, the Emporer was looking over me I guess. haha. Interesting how things work out.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
Yah, thank you everyone for such a great day, espcially derek and chase. Terrain was awesome, armies were cool, things seemed to go fairly smoothly. There were a few things that left people feeling a little torn inside, but these are things we will learn by and change hopefully for next years megabattle.

I had a great time except for turns 1 and 2 when I expected to get wiped out and the game to be over by turn 3; still am not sure how I didnt get wiped, the Emporer was looking over me I guess. haha. Interesting how things work out.

It's because obviously, a flak jacket gives you a 5+ save and the gonads  to stare down a daemon engine!  Even a brass scorpion could not move the effigy of manliness your men had!

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »
it was awesome! thanks for putting together another great battle. The terrian was amazing. the day was awesome. i can't wait till next time to kick disorder ass again
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

*Ehem.*

Ehem?  You want me to blame a certain Imperial Titan, rather than the stompa?  Is the titan crew painting kill silhouettes for a prism, two wraithlords and a viper on the titan's boast board?   :D

We only paint on kills for hard targets.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:48 AM »
Now that I've had a little time to recover and reflect after the 2009 Megabattle, I'd like to extend my thanks to everyone for putting out such a great effort to help make it come together. This was a hard lesson in "don't leave it all to the last minute." Oddly, it's the 13,505th time I've learned that exact same lesson so far in my life (averaging one such lesson per day).

Wait... what was that lesson again? Eh, probably not important.

I think, when the time is right and we've all had a chance to chill a bit after such an exhausting yet memorable experience, a new thread should be started to gather thoughts and ideas on how to make the 2010 3rd Annual Megabattle run more smoothly. I have lots of ideas on how we can improve.. and I think we already have a table idea in the works.

I'll begin working on the video of the event sometime soon. Stay tuned...

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »
You know, I wouldn't mind playing that exact same table again (using a different scenario). Especially if it's a year later and people played in different areas of the table. Maybe if no one minds, we can just use the same terrain, that way Derek and Co. can focus on other aspects of the megabattle.

Mike