Author Topic: A few questions for the knowledgable  (Read 2636 times)

Hellblaazer

A few questions for the knowledgable
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
When I was younger, I had bought a starter set of this game, but never actually got around to painting them or really getting into it; mostly just playing with friends and unpainted models. Now, I'm trying to get back into things and field a "Daemonhunter Army." I'm a bit short on models, though, so I wanted to propose a trade. I have 14 Orks (they're holding an axe and a gun) and 33 Gretchin (they each appear to have a rifle) that I'd be willing to trade for a (roughly) equivalent number of marines. I don't know what the "rate of conversion" is for greenies to marines, so...I'm going to be trusting of the community's good graces. If you're interested, just respond to my message here. Thank you!

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
Re: A few questions for the knowledgable
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
These marines you're talking about, are you referring to "Grey Knights" or "Allied Space Marines"? Check your Daemonhunters codex if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

Mike

Hellblaazer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »
Well, ideally I'd like to get Grey Knights - they're the ones that appealed to me the most (I like the "inquisitorial nature" of them), but looking at Codex, I'd imagine the Allied Space Marines would be ok too. I picked up a "5-pack" of Grey Knights today, and I might look for the Torquemada hero unit Friday, so it could be that core to start out, then I could move into more Grey Knights. That was the long answer, but I suppose either, with a "preference" towards Grey Knights

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
I was asking because of the way the Daemonhunters codex works:

If you want to take "Allied Space marines" then your daemonhunters army can't take greyknights. The only way you'd be able to field both at once, would be if you fielded a Space Marine army, and took the daemonhunters as allies -- it's wierd I know.

Because of that, you'd have to fulfill the force org requirements using the space marine codex first, before adding Daemonhunter units. Even then, you'll have restrictions on what you can take as detailed in your codex: Daemonhunters.

That's if you want to field both marines and greyknights in the same army. Otherwise, you pick one or the other.

And as to your original question, sorry, I don't play orks ;P
Mike

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
If you're looking to start a Grey Knight army, you're definitely looking for Grey Knights.  The allied marines are great and can fill in points and uses, but the grey knights are the main of the force.  Hence the name of the army.  Unfortunately, the orks you're talking about are older and worth less than the modern day orks.  Depending on the love of the old models, you'll get a varying amount in trade.  I would suggest not expecting it to be much, but since GKs are hell expensive pointswise anyway you don't need many.  Good luck, I'm sure others that can help will see this soon enough.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Hellblaazer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »
hmm...ok, follow up question then; I have all of my old space marines models that I never painted or "dressed up"...would it be wrong/undoable to paint them up as Grey Knights and call them as such? The only codex I have right now is Daemonhunters, and the old ones from the boxed set

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
hmm...ok, follow up question then; I have all of my old space marines models that I never painted or "dressed up"...would it be wrong/undoable to paint them up as Grey Knights and call them as such? The only codex I have right now is Daemonhunters, and the old ones from the boxed set

Yes and no.

If you used them as proxies for a while to get back into the game and slowly switched, no biggy.

If you didn't plan on replacing them with actual grey knight models then people, especially in tournaments, might get a little bothered.

Also, you could never model them as actual grey knights because their gear is that much different.

Hellblaazer

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
So far everyone has been a great help; I'm going to ask for another piece of assistance. Since I don't have the core rulebook yet, I had intended to pick up the Black Reach starter set. This was with my intention of turning the normal marines into Grey Knights (which now I realize wouldn't work). So my question now is this: Do I buy the Black Reach, which will give me the rulebook, a bunch of marine models that I need, and some orks that I don't, and just build a Marines army with my old figures added in, and then just add Grey Knights into that army....

Or, do I buy the 50.00 rulebook, and just start building the Grey Knights army up with the smaller packs of models? I'm willing to spend either amount of money, really, so that's not the problem.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:04 PM »
Grey Knights are probably not the best army to use for a beginner who cares about a win/loss ratio. Overall, it can be difficult to stand up to armies that have newer rule sets (orks, space marines, chaos space marines, etc).

But, if you don't care about winning/losing, then my advice would be to go with your first interest. That will make you happier than picking an army you won't enjoy playing, even if it is a better army.

Hellblaazer

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your replies. Hopefully, once I get to that point, some of you would also be willing to meet up to play against a relatively inexperienced player ;] What I decided to do was this:

Get the Black Reach set, and use the Space Marines Codex to field a Space Marines force. I want to use a "non-standard" paint set, since I'm not really thrilled with the ones that are in the available codices. That way, I can still use some of my old models. I have some ideas for a chapter, so I might just make it that way (I like the fluff).

Basically, though, I'm still looking to trade the Orks that are going to come with Black Reach, plus the "old orks" and "old gretchin" if anyone wants them. :]