Author Topic: Battleground 40k Invitational Scenarios - BETA  (Read 3485 times)

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Re: Battleground 40k Invitational Scenarios - BETA
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
Awesome to hear that BG might be considering an earlier start/finish time.

Cool to hear that you're tweaking the lateral quadrants mission, though I think it was already a darn cool mission.

I think Ben's made some reasonable points and asked reasonable questions.  I expect it just comes across a little more brusque on teh interwebs than its intended. 

I agree with his point that every tournament modifies the book missions to a greater or lesser extent, even if it's just by putting them in the multi-round framework which necessitates tiebreakers and so forth.   And that even the big, well-known events like NOVA have made substantial changes.  We're still early in this edition and folks are justifiably experimenting and evolving event formats and rules.

Some armes/lists WANT to go first, some want to go second.  All first blood does is give more of a benefit to armies that want to go for first anyways.
And all Slay the Warlord does is give a benefit to armies who normally hide/keep their HQs back anyway... And all Linebreaker does is give a benefit to more mobile armies who normally move stuff into the enemy DZ anyway...

Really, though, both of those have been common secondary objectives in lot of (GW and independent) tournament missions at least since I started playing in 1999.  I share your concern that First Blood does tend to reinforce gunlines a little, and on insufficiently-terrained tables there's some legit concern that it's too easy to get on turn 1, but between terrain, 50% chance of Night Fight on turn 1, and the ability to reserve more fragile units, it's not very hard to defend against.  And I agree with the earlier point that it provides and important counter-balance to 5/6 of missions being objective-based, which normally strongly favor going second.  Especially since Kill Points are now only a factor in 1/6 of missions, so they're not mitigating as strongly against MSU builds as they used to.

How do Big Guns help balance a mission for an army with inherently weak(er) Heavy Support options?
I think Big Guns and Scouring are nice because they give an incentive to invest in slots other than Troops, while also making those units targets worth additional VPs, so those missions have more avenues to earn VPs.  I don't know if I'd expect BOTH a BG and a TS mission in a three-rounder.  Maybe just one or the other, although with three-tiered objectives, it could make sense to fit both in at different levels. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Missions are more or less set at this point.  You guys will be playing 3 of the 4 scenarios presented here, although some will have minor changes... and I do mean minor.

The start time for this event will remain the same as advertised originally.  I plan to move the 500 point event to a 10:00am start time (instead of 11am) to experiment. I personally hate the idea of starting earlier, but people keep asking for it.  What's the difference between 3 and 4 hours of sleep anyways?

This discussion has been valuable.  I'm honestly shocked to hear that people like the book missions so much and feel they're so good.

Ben has put a ton of work into this project and was never asked to.  I'm extremely thankful for the thankless job he's doing.  I promise it's not easy, as some of you know first hand, especially when you open things up for discussion.  ;)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

Some armes/lists WANT to go first, some want to go second.  All first blood does is give more of a benefit to armies that want to go for first anyways.
And all Slay the Warlord does is give a benefit to armies who normally hide/keep their HQs back anyway... And all Linebreaker does is give a benefit to more mobile armies who normally move stuff into the enemy DZ anyway...

Please don't take my lack of mention to imply that I love the other ones either.  I think they are all fine for tie breaks/minor amounts of points.  But as a significant amount of points in an event, I think they are rather lame.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:32:03 PM by keithb »

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
A thankless job no doubt.  Kudos to Ben not even an employee of BG for putting in the time to even ask the questions in the first place.  However much we agree, disagree, infer tones etc..  Ben has done a great job.

I may not agree with some things in regards to missions ,way they should be played etc.. But I am sure that you guys will host a great event as usual.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
A thankless job no doubt.  Kudos to Ben not even an employee of BG for putting in the time to even ask the questions in the first place.  However much we agree, disagree, infer tones etc..  Ben has done a great job.

I may not agree with some things in regards to missions ,way they should be played etc.. But I am sure that you guys will host a great event as usual.

Quoted for MF'ing Truth.

If it's thankless, clearly we the players are failing to communicate properly.  Thanks very much to Ben, Chase, Sam, and everyone else involved in putting these on. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Wooo!  Go Ben!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
And thanks to everyone for the thanks. If I felt I couldn't handle this, I wouldn't have asked for the feedback. So don't worry about me, I'm made of strong stuff. :)

I'm attempting to be concise, and across this imperfect medium I can see how getting straight to the point or directly contradicting someone isn't exactly the kindest thing. Manners sometime get lost by the wayside. I really do appreciate all of the feedback, and certainly everyone for being part of this strange gaming journey. The amount I've learned and the new directions to consider have made this all a worthwhile experience. Sometimes I flop out of my small pond, gasp for air, crawl for a bit in the mud and flop back into the small pond a bit wiser.

I already have a completely "new" event in mind, and I'm very excited for it.