Author Topic: Rule Questions  (Read 12306 times)

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
Re: Rule Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »
Thanks Dave, I think the key though is the book.
Just so we're on the same page, when you get your rule book review page 44 "Multiple Flee/Pursue" sequence.

1. Declare the direction each victorious unit will take
2. Roll for flee distance
3. Rolll for pursuit distance

As far as I can tell the players used the rules for single unit pursuit when they should have used the rules for Multiples. 

Cheers,
Alan

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
No, unfortunetly that is how the pursuit rules work. I don't have a rulebook around but units that lost combat roll for fleeing distance, then the victorious unit can choose which unit to pursue (for advantageous purposes) but fleeing units are wiped out as long as the pursuit roll is equal to their flee roll regardless whether or not they choose to pursue them.

Basically rolling higher on a pursuit roll than your opponents flee roll means your unit was faster than theirs and as they turned to run you catch them and cut them down, doesnt matter which direction they're fleeing in.

That is incorrect on page 44 of the warhammer rulebook the 6th paragraph (2nd italicized one) Second sentence it gives the example of the spearmen fighting 4 different units, 2 in the front and 1 in each flank and it says "... the winning unit declares it is pursuing the two enemies fleeing from its front. The enemy fleeing from the flank escapes automatically, as nobody is pursuing it." pg 44

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »
Like I said I don't have a rulebook so this makes it somewhat difficult for me, but I thought that as long as your pursuit distance was greater than the enemy's flee distance regardless of direction you catch them. I may be wrong though, not really on top of my fantasy game at the moment, it might only be in the direction you chose to pursue. What Ben says is probably right since he has a rulebook and I don't...so i'd go by what he says.

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
well you are right in the case of multiple pursuits, if two units flee from one direction and you outrun them both then they are both caught and destroyed, but if the units flee from two different arcs/directions then one will get away and the other will not.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Is there a limitation on what an army can take for magic weapons? as in-  Can I put siegebreakers on all my heroes?

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
No you can only ever have one magic item unless it directly says in the description of the army book that you can take multiples of the item.

generally those rules only apply to arcane items like dispel scrolls and a couple of new funkie items out there.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
Thanks.  Now it makes a lot more sense.  I guess it could be rough having all Ogre heroes running around with tenderizers. ;D

Next question-  I know you can be a but liberal with WYSIWYG but how can it affect line of sight?  Is Warhammer true line of sight or is it like the old 40k (size 1, size 2, size 3) categories?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
modeling really isn't going to help or hurt line of sight in fantasy.   You can only see 2" inches into or out of forest.  You can not see through a unit unless its a unit of skirmishers and then shooting is at -1.  Elevating does let you see and target over units for flying charges and shooting.  And large targets, I think you can shoot at them over a unit in addition to the +1 to hit them.  But don't quote me on that one, I could be terribly wrong.

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 01:43:23 AM »
(Disclaimer: I may be wrong, check with someone who knows the rules/has a rulebook/is ben)

-For fantasy WYSIWYG is not really enforced or a rule per se. Obviously if you take a character with a magical sword that is the greatest sword ever forged and you have your model with a wimpy dagger you might get some funny looks. And you're not expected to have your characters WYSIWYG because that would just be a pain in the ass. But for units typically you should have your unit modeled with the weapons they are using just for general purposes and sportsmanship. Like a unit of spearmen and your models have 2 hand weapons or something. It's mainly for clarity, like 40k, but not as strict or enforced.

Im not gonna say anything about line of sight really because I dont have a rulebook present and would most likely be giving you false information which I could have just done in my previous paragraph. Note the disclaimer...ahh screw it.

- LoS is generally you cant see through anything, units cannot see through other units, characters, warmachines, terrain(depending on classification), skirmishers, you get the point. Also you cannot see through skirmishers and skirmishers cannot see through other skirmishers if I recall correctly. The LoS rules go for shooting, moving, charging, and casting spells.

-There are a few exceptions such as flyers who can, once again have someone correct me if im wrong, charge over intervening units. Probably a few others but none come to mind.

-Hills do give you a height advantage letting you see over and units not on hills, but you still can't charge over your units or anything like that; the height advantage is mainly for shooting and casting LoS.

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »
Flyers are subject to the normal line of sight rules as ground models to the exception of large targets and targets on hills in which they can fly over other enemy units.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
really I thought skirmishers didn't block LOS for shooting, like they were cover.  But, I'm cool with them being blocking.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »
Is a "War banner" considered a "magical standard" for the purposes of a unit standard bearer being able to carry one?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
Yes.
beep bop boop

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »
How common are common magical items?  Can an army have multiples of the same? - Is it possible to have two war banners in one army?

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 07:58:28 AM »
two magical banners that are different yes

two warbanners as described in the magic item list that give an additional +1 to combat resolution, no