Author Topic: G.I. Joe Cartoon  (Read 4116 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
G.I. Joe Cartoon
« on: July 03, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »
Warren Ellis Writing G.I. Joe Cartoon!
G.I. Joe: Resolute
July 2, 2008

Warren Ellis
The G.I. Joe Websites are all abuzz about G.I. Joe: Resolute, a series of ten 5-minute cartoon episodes with a 10-minute conclusion.  Each episode is self-contained, but there is also an overall story arc. These short cartoons, which are targeted at adults, have a distinctly Vertigo flavor since they were written by veteran comic writer Warren Ellis and based on character designs by 100 Bullets cover artist Dave Johnson.  In this series, which is rated "PG-13," the guns shoot bullets, not lasers and there are real consequences.  Although there isn’t a lot of blood there is lots violence and a hint that major “characters may die.”

The G.I. Joe: Resolute cartoons will debut as Webisodes on the Hasbro Website early next year. Hasbro is also hoping to place the G.I. Joe: Resolute shorts on the Cartoon Network and then release them on DVD.  In addition to releasing a DVD, Hasbro is planning a toy series based on the G.I. Joe: Resolute cartoons.

One of the five-minute shorts in which Snake Eyes saves Duke and Roadblock from a Cobra ambush was shown at the recently concluded 2008 JoeCon, and it got rave reviews from diehard fans such as those at the hisstank.com Website who reported: “It really was what you’ve been waiting for all these years.  As they described it in the panel, while you were playing with these toys as a kid, or even watching the shows and reading the comics back then, what we saw today is what we thought we saw back then. And it's what we expect, and that’s why the new versions of the old stuff don't play with us now. But, this new direction, PG-13 based adult themed entertainment, should fill that gap.”

If the G.I. Joe: Resolute cartoons are successful, Hasbro has plans to do something similar for the Transformers.  Given the interest in properties like G.I. Joe and Transformers from older collectors it just makes sense that Hasbro address the interests of this older audience in animation as it has in producing sophisticated toys that target collectors rather than kids.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: G.I. Joe Cartoon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
FANTASTIC!

Almost good enough to wash this from my brain-

http://killerotakurobots.com/news/category/omg-wtf

Steelwing13

• Epic Tier Level 26
  • Freedom is the right of all sentient Beings
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
Torn.....GI Joe, seems to finally be reaching for its potential but Otakubots makes head hurt. ???
"I sense much Anger in you, Bow to the Dark Side and become my apprentice."

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
Also at the Comic Con this years it's rumored that GI Joe has a live action movie in the works. Saw it on G4 this afternoon.
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:43:16 AM »
Not a Rumor. They've been filming for months. Here's some pics of characters. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/4435.asp

The only ones I think look good are Snake Eyes and Stormshadow. I don't ecpect it to be a good movie but I'll see it.
The cartoon sounds good.

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:19:50 AM »

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
I'm pretty excited about the cartoon.  Talk about a good property.  I'd also love for Reloaded, the comic series, to be properly finished.  One step at a time I guess.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 04:30:23 PM »
all i know is the movie snubbed Beachhead, this cartoon better dam not keep him out!!
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?