Author Topic: New Dark Angels Thread  (Read 7059 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
New Dark Angels Thread
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
I flipped through the book tonight, didn't get time to read it in depth. But I know others will want to chat.

Here's what I found interesting in my flip-through.

A Terminator squad with Vengeful Strike. Belial. A Space Marine Librarian with Gate of Infinity. This is a squad that Deep Strikes without error every turn with Twin-Linked shooting. Looked like fun.

You have no idea how disappointed I was not to see a Thunderfire Cannon on a Flyer. And while Deathwing clearly has some interesting upgrades, I'm not convinced that they still just don't die outside the city limits of Plasmatown.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: New Dark Angels Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
I think the big deal is the Ability to have both wings in your Army using 1 HQ if the rumours held out.

I haven't gotten to look at the codex yet so I will be watching the thread. I heard the Flyers are Underwhelming very Anti-infantry based. They are not just Space Marines with a couple of different gadgets they have a very unique identity now with both exclusive Termi and Bike units.

I will probably pick up a Codex Thursday if any are left in stock. The Birth of Dragon Wing.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »
I can say BG Plainville has a good stock of new DA codices and models, and I imagine the same would be true for the Abington store.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »
To be honest, I actually got LESS of Codex: Dark Angels than any other 40k army book since Plainville opened.  I still got a ton of stuff, just went lighter than normal.

Here's hoping I'm wrong about this release.  I feel like no one was really talking much about it except for Mike Kachanis.  Meaning... I hope he beats up on people with Ravenwing for a long time.

Based on what I've heard / seen, the book is very powerful.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
I flipped through the book tonight, didn't get time to read it in depth. But I know others will want to chat.

Here's what I found interesting in my flip-through.

A Terminator squad with Vengeful Strike. Belial. A Space Marine Librarian with Gate of Infinity. This is a squad that Deep Strikes without error every turn with Twin-Linked shooting. Looked like fun.

You have no idea how disappointed I was not to see a Thunderfire Cannon on a Flyer. And while Deathwing clearly has some interesting upgrades, I'm not convinced that they still just don't die outside the city limits of Plasmatown.

I picked up a copy from Plainville yesterday morning and i've had a chance to read through most of it. I had pretty much the same thought Ben. No deepstrike scatter is huge and placement from that could be an argument for bringing 2 heavy flamers. Although the first round of shooting being twin linked it probably better used on 2 assault cannons, cyclone missile launchers or plasma cannons to mitigate the gets hot.

Deathwing Knights: I was a little surprised to see space marines with NO guns whatsoever, they do have impressive melee though.

I don't know enough about bikes in general so speak intelligently about Ravenwing so i wont... other than proper use of the grenade launchers the black knights get would be HUGE for assault

The flyers have some interesting new weapons but aren't sold

the biggest thing that jumps out at me is the lack of any special plasma/gets hot rules for the army. i had hoped but my hopes were dashed

Tsilber

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:52 AM »
I think the army is solid, The 2 things i guess i can pick at is

1) we have minimal "anti- flyer", DA flyer is more for ground units. One of them does get strafing run, making it BS5 when firing at ground targets basically, without going into hover mode.  option: Ally GK, 35 hq, 115 (?) strike with psy cannons, 205 storm talon. Option: aegis/quad gun.

2) i can't believe im going to spend $66 for a terribly designed, ugly on the board, AV 10/10/10 model. But its so good....

I wont say much, but look at the bombs, and grenade launcher special rules... There are a lot of combinations and 1-2 punches that could cause seriouse trouble if you get them off.

Dark Angels: Playing chess, while most other books are playing checkers.

-Toddy

andalucien

• God
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
My first impression of the Dark Angels codex is that it is pretty boring.  Basically they took a bunch of existing standard Space Marine units that every chapter gets and made it cheaper for them to get certain weapons.  And gave more access to Plasma Cannons.   Compare it to the last 3 Space Marine chapter codexes... where is the crazy stuff, like the guys riding wolves, the army-wide fast vehicles, the kooky henchmen?   
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
Very happy with this codex indeed.

Actually adding to my first Army after a number of years. It'll be interesting to see what we can work with.

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:47:59 AM »
I like the book and I think its well balanced. Deathwing and Ravenwing have more to them now. As before you can mix the troops now you can have Termies and Bikers as troops. You can go pure flavor with the respective wings, or mix and match them. I like the new units and abilities except I think the Ravenwing command squad isn't worth the points as you get an Apothecary for 3 bikers? I think the fliers are lame. Except the one shot bomb. As for Deathwing the Apothecary is nerfed into not having any sort of close combat weapon but doesn't mean he cant carry the Squad's heavy weapon ;). All in all I think the codex is well rounded and its nice to finally be able to use Flakk missiles.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Like Alan, this was my first army. I was unimpressed with the last codex and shelved the army. I'm really digging the new codex though. I like how they brought back the banner's, and I'm really liking the knights. I'm not sure about the nelphlim fighter it looks like it has potential but it seems out classes by some other flyer's point cost-wise.

I want to run x10 terminator's with Belial. Just need to need to see which are better knight's or the old classic TH/SS. The fact that the knights get the beefed up T5 and there watcher tag along to give them fear and +1 to deny the witch is something to counter balance the low AP on the mace's.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

MM3791

• God
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
Deathwing and Ravenwing look very powerful.

Tharcil

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
Got the book first thing Saturday morning.  I am satisfied with it, I was expecting to be happier. 

Cons: Flyers are terrible and over priced. Deathwing are more expensive. Belial is more expensive (though appropriately coseted with the changes to his gear and stats). Banners much too expensive.  Nothing special regarding plasma or gets hot.  Scouts lost their BS and WS and Naaman didn't get added back in.  Whirlwind did not get a flakk option.  No heroic intervention terminators.

Pros: Everything that is not Deathwing or Belial is cheaper, dev las cannons for  points, thank you!, librarians level 2 for 100, force field generators, split fire/twin linked/mystery turn DWA!!!

The flavor of everything was done nicely.  I think the part where they really missed the boat that still has me stumbling is the need to have 3 RW and 3 DW units.  This could have and should have been done with 2 each with the options for each being upgrades.  The knights are cool for both, but don't have the flexibility of the command squads.  Once you buy troops and command squads there are no points left for the knights, even in a straight DW or straight RW army I can't see using either just yet.

I'm happy to be back with the first army I played, but hardly blown away by what they came up with.  I think it is well balanced and there will be plenty of competitive options, just not impressed by the lack of creativity and diversity from the other chapters and the previous version of the book.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
Librarians can split fire and DWA if they are given terminator armor?

MM3791

• God
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
Got the book first thing Saturday morning.  I am satisfied with it, I was expecting to be happier. 

Cons: Flyers are terrible and over priced. Deathwing are more expensive. Belial is more expensive (though appropriately coseted with the changes to his gear and stats). Banners much too expensive.  Nothing special regarding plasma or gets hot.  Scouts lost their BS and WS and Naaman didn't get added back in.  Whirlwind did not get a flakk option.  No heroic intervention terminators.

Pros: Everything that is not Deathwing or Belial is cheaper, dev las cannons for  points, thank you!, librarians level 2 for 100, force field generators, split fire/twin linked/mystery turn DWA!!!

The flavor of everything was done nicely.  I think the part where they really missed the boat that still has me stumbling is the need to have 3 RW and 3 DW units.  This could have and should have been done with 2 each with the options for each being upgrades.  The knights are cool for both, but don't have the flexibility of the command squads.  Once you buy troops and command squads there are no points left for the knights, even in a straight DW or straight RW army I can't see using either just yet.

I'm happy to be back with the first army I played, but hardly blown away by what they came up with.  I think it is well balanced and there will be plenty of competitive options, just not impressed by the lack of creativity and diversity from the other chapters and the previous version of the book.

I haven't seen the book but it sounds like you don't like that Knights are too expensive.. but from what I've heard Deathwing is uber badass, so I would sure as hell hope they were expensive pointswise. They even sound like they can give GK terminators a run for their money. I look forward to playing against the new Dark Angels.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Azrael in a 50 man blob giving them fearless, FNP (6+), and a 4++ is HILARIOUS.

Also dual RW/DW combos are going to be par for the course;  shoot RW bikers up with teleport homers, and then choose to deep strike the DW in on turn two, and your entire army is up your opponent's nose.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.