Author Topic: New Dark Angels Thread  (Read 7061 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Re: New Dark Angels Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
I had the same thought with Azreal.

The biggest hurdle I have with the knights is not there cost, its those mace's. It's the AP that has me being iffy on them. I think they have the potential to be better at x10 than a TH/SS squad. I also think you take Belial and arm him to the squad so with knights a TH/SS would probably be best but with a termy TH/SS lightning claws all the way. I'm gonna test both squad's I have a feeling knights are going to edge them out especially with all the special rules you can lair on them.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
I would point out that Str 6 and AP4 is statistically better than a Str 4 ap 3 at killing everything except T4 marines.  The ability to make them ap 2 is really the best of all worlds.....were you sad you'd only be able to utterly wipe 1 squad a game, the others you'll only dominate? 

Fun thing is, is you can always soft pitch it on your turn, leave a few left (if they don't run) and then burn the AP2 to make sure you wipe them out on their turn and can charge the next.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Also dual RW/DW combos are going to be par for the course;  shoot RW bikers up with teleport homers, and then choose to deep strike the DW in on turn two, and your entire army is up your opponent's nose.

I actually think this is a good thing, as it will potientally change the focus of the meta back towards important assault and counter assault units.. instead of 6th ed shoothammer.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
It's also kinda, like, the whole idea behind the army.  Why else did you think every single Raven wing has a teleport homer? 

MM3791

• God
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
Yea I was complementing the codex design, not the army list.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
I like the idea of the RW/DW complimenting each other, only if your taking 1+ DW units. Belial is the less risky choice if your going with a single DW unit also makes heavy flamers more attractive with the vengeful strike rule and no scattering.
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
I noticed on other forums for pure deathwing army ever one says OMG take Librarian. What about him makes him worth taking over a Chaplain in terminator armor? Also they say you NEED minimum 2 Land Raider Crusaiders. Thats a huge point sink if you ask me. With the new Belial Rules and how he doesnt scatter, and has a teleport hommer is that necessary now?

MM3791

• God
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
I noticed on other forums for pure deathwing army ever one says OMG take Librarian. What about him makes him worth taking over a Chaplain in terminator armor?

Probably for the Divination powers if I had to guess..

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
The ibby is the cheapest MEQ equivalent yet, but yeah, I'd agree that deathwing probably needs those powers less than most. 

I'm a Landraider enthusiast, but at the same time haven't had the guts to use them at a serious tournament in 6th.  I dunno, could be good, but yeah, deathwing are pretty well equipped to Deepstrike when and where they want in the enemey'd face, and that is a heck of lot cheaper.  I'd....probably just do that. 

Tharcil

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
I noticed on other forums for pure deathwing army ever one says OMG take Librarian. What about him makes him worth taking over a Chaplain in terminator armor? Also they say you NEED minimum 2 Land Raider Crusaiders. Thats a huge point sink if you ask me. With the new Belial Rules and how he doesnt scatter, and has a teleport hommer is that necessary now?

The librarian is always better because, prescience is almost always better than hatred and because of the significant cost difference between the two.  Land Raiders got a big boost in survivability...at a cost so running two of these is a surprisingly expensive concept.

Belial can't use his own homer.  The homer must be in the board before the start of the board in order to be used.  What you can do, is have other terminators or speeders tag off of him on subsequent turns. Great for an allies list too, Vanguard Vets coming in on turn two off the homer when Belial comes in turn 1 came to mind since I was running the VV in the last tournament.  I'm sure there is potential for much more than that....

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »

The librarian is always better because, prescience is almost always better than hatred and because of the significant cost difference between the two. 

With Eldrad on the table, you might feel differently.  Plus, Deathwing gets twin-linked shooting when they DS, anyway. 

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a libby with the knights as well. combo'd with admantium will they would get a 4+ deny the witch, that's also putting more point into a point heavy unit as well
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:02:37 PM by jhobin »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
I certainly don't think the libby is bad.  But I also don't see how it's "must take".  Internal balance is a good thing, people. 

Tharcil

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
I certainly don't think the libby is bad.  But I also don't see how it's "must take".  Internal balance is a good thing, people.

Not a must have, agreed.  But still a great choice. I actually like the librarian better with a lascannon dev squad, give them a force field generator, night vision and an auspex rather than with the terms.  A little expensive, but incredibly reliable and you don't have to concern yourself with placing them in cover or anything.  I'm planning on taking this for my half the army that must be deployed while the termies deepstrike. 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
Yup, that sounds like a great combo, absolutely.