Author Topic: [Abington MA] Battleground 40k Doubles Event - 2/16  (Read 8921 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: [Abington MA] Battleground 40k Doubles Event - 2/16
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Brad a rule already applies to that... see below.

Super Heavies, Super Heavy Flyers, Gargantuan Creatures, Apocalypse Formations, and Strategic Assets are not allowed.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
MUhaha me again...

quick question because I am not familiar with FW units

7. Forge World / Imperial Armour / Horrus Heresy units AND ARMY LISTS **ARE** allowed in this Doubles event, however each unit is considered unique (0-1) and may only be taken once per Team.

If FW army lists are allowed wouldnt that mean units couldnt be unique?  What if the FW list only has 1 type of troop? 

I only ask this because like I said I am not familiar with FW stuff at all and was curious.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »
Instead of arguing about essentially how far off the established path any particular bit of rules or fluff, I'll just say this:  Even Forgeworld did not intend Horus Heresy to be used with normal 40K.  They inteneded all their regular stuff to be used that way (or some with apocalypse) but Horus Heresy is meant to be it's own thing.

Where and when did they say this? It has been said by FW that they did intend to have it played with people's existing armies as well as new ones.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
MUhaha me again...

quick question because I am not familiar with FW units

7. Forge World / Imperial Armour / Horrus Heresy units AND ARMY LISTS **ARE** allowed in this Doubles event, however each unit is considered unique (0-1) and may only be taken once per Team.

If FW army lists are allowed wouldnt that mean units couldnt be unique?  What if the FW list only has 1 type of troop? 

I only ask this because like I said I am not familiar with FW stuff at all and was curious.

I considered this possibility.  I was hoping that there would be at least 2 troop choices per list, which would force their hand.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
So, the really gross things in the Horus Heresy books (Titans, Primarchs, etc.) are all in the "Lords of War" 30k Force Org. Slot.  There is no 40k "Lords of War" force org. slot.  So, perhaps the tournament could just enforce that restriction.  Speaking from experience, the rest of the stuff in that book isn't too terribly broken.

Exactly.

Edit:  To be fair, I definitely got a little lucky on this one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:55:38 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
Dude you have to tell me your source for inner knowledge of Games workshop! We need to get more updates on rumors man!!!
Where and when did they say this? It has been said by FW that they did intend to have it played with people's existing armies as well as new ones.

It kinda says it on Pg. 148 of the Horus Heresy Book one.  "The armies for these games should be taken from the Space Marine Legion Crusade army list, and then later, "they are intended to be used with the Age of Darkness army selection rules."  It then goes on to specifify custom missions, warlord traits and all that.

I mean, they're fairly clear that this is an entirely separate game, mostly using 40k rules but apart from it, like apocalypse.  And these units aren't even part of any of the standard codexes!  It is it's own, entire codex unto itself!  Everything else from forge world fits nicely in the Tau codex, or Orks, or whatever.  Or maybe something like Death Corps of Krieg that is really just a reorg of IG. 

Again, it's really super clear these units are not meant to be played with "normal" 40k.  You can't even use normal 40 k units with these guys when playing a Horus Heresy game.  You have to use a Legion Tactical Squad, instead of something normal.

Eh, whatever.  I do not care enough to make as big a deal about it as it has apparently become.  You are right that probably is not all that unbalancing, at least if you can't bring Primarch's et all.  But it is quite silly, even nonsensical. 

Normal foregeworld, I have no problem with, especially when we aren't trying to be serious.  I have quite a bit of FW Tau myself.  But HH is not for normal play any more than super-heavies, titans and strategic assets are. 

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »
So, the really gross things in the Horus Heresy books (Titans, Primarchs, etc.) are all in the "Lords of War" 30k Force Org. Slot.  There is no 40k "Lords of War" force org. slot.  So, perhaps the tournament could just enforce that restriction.  Speaking from experience, the rest of the stuff in that book isn't too terribly broken.

Exactly.

Edit:  To be fair, I definitely got a little lucky on this one.

Heh, Brad Powers, luck augmenter, at your service.
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
Dude you have to tell me your source for inner knowledge of Games workshop! We need to get more updates on rumors man!!!

It kinda says it on Pg. 148 of the Horus Heresy Book one.  "The armies for these games should be taken from the Space Marine Legion Crusade army list, and then later, "they are intended to be used with the Age of Darkness army selection rules."  It then goes on to specifify custom missions, warlord traits and all that.

I mean, they're fairly clear that this is an entirely separate game, mostly using 40k rules but apart from it, like apocalypse.  And these units aren't even part of any of the standard codexes!  It is it's own, entire codex unto itself! 
It's kinda weird man but I didn't see any Paladins in the Chaos Space Marines codex.
Everything else from forge world fits nicely in the Tau codex, or Orks, or whatever.  Or maybe something like Death Corps of Krieg that is really just a reorg of IG. 
Death Corps of Krieg have different stat lines of IG.  I mean, WS4 and no vendettas seems like a big deal?  More than just a reorg of IG.
Again, it's really super clear these units are not meant to be played with "normal" 40k.  You can't even use normal 40 k units with these guys when playing a Horus Heresy game.  You have to use a Legion Tactical Squad, instead of something normal.
Like a drop pod? That's normal, right?
Eh, whatever.  I do not care enough to make as big a deal about it as it has apparently become.  You are right that probably is not all that unbalancing, at least if you can't bring Primarch's et all.  But it is quite silly, even nonsensical. 
You seem a bit exasperated by the topic at hand.
Normal foregeworld, I have no problem with, especially when we aren't trying to be serious.  I have quite a bit of FW Tau myself.  But HH is not for normal play any more than super-heavies, titans and strategic assets are.

These aren't super heavies or strategic assets, so how are they unlike any other codex? It's not like someone is painting them post heresy colors and trying to game some sort of advantage.

I'm just trying to empathize with your position, you dig?

Junker

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

Thou doth protest too much. Its man dollies dude. Relax

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
Thou doth protest too much. Its man dollies dude. Relax

HA MAN DOLLIES I LOVE IT
beep bop boop

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 12:31:46 AM »
It's not even the same game.  Seriously.  WTF.

King of the Elves

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »

No-one is making you play. You could just not enter and not have to deal with flying bikes and amazing models. Your choice dude, I for one could really care less.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 03:38:26 AM »
And so the trash talk between communities begins...  LOL I love it!!!
I want everyone to know for fact this is not an issue between the Plainville and Abington communities.

I'm not even sure why there is an issue.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »

You use the 6th edition rule book to play with the stuff in Betrayal. Alan Bligh says so in his interview.

Are we talking about the same game or are you pulling my leg.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »

I'll take you to friendlies after the tournament if you do your homework.
Tiger's Den founding member