Author Topic: TOurnament mission design news: new official GW missions for specific armies  (Read 1383 times)

andalucien

• God
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=22200010a&_requestid=85857

----------------

Warhammer 40,000 Altar of War: Chaos Space Marines

Altar of War missions provide all the information required to play games inspired by the battlefield tactics of the different Warhammer 40,000 armies. This book contains six brand-new missions which you can use instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook if you or your opponent has a Chaos Space Marines army, allowing you to wage wars of vengeance, launch a dreaded Black Crusade, or simply unleash indiscriminate carnage on your unsuspecting foes.

Warhammer 40,000 Altar of War: Dark Angels.

Altar of War missions provide all the information required to play games inspired by the battlefield tactics of the different Warhammer 40,000 armies. This book contains six brand-new missions which you can use instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook if you or your opponent has a Dark Angels army, allowing you to hunt the Fallen - traitors of the Chapter's ancient past - or unleash the elite Deathwing and Ravenwing on your foes in all their devastating glory.

------------------

So, this tells me that GW did not intend their "eternal war" missions to represent all of the things everyone needs to think about when designing missions for a tournament (if tournaments were even a part of their thinking at all when they chose the book missions).   

Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
... if tournaments were even a part of their thinking at all when they chose the book missions.

I would doubt that very much. Otherwise, they would have written the rules with the same intent.

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
The rules are honestly pretty good, and more balanced than people credit.  Albeit with some embarassing editorial issues which more attentive companies like Privateer or WotC would never let pass.

These aren't a new concept; a couple of years ago they did a whole book of army-themed missions.  They were generally regarded as fun in places but a complete crapshoot in terms of balance.  Some obviously hadn't had any playtesting at all.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
The Planetstrike missions were amazing and terrible at the same time.

AMAZIBAD.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
... if tournaments were even a part of their thinking at all when they chose the book missions.

I would doubt that very much. Otherwise, they would have written the rules with the same intent.

The book missions are more balanced than anything else I've seen.  Except maybe Keith's templecon missions. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
The book missions are more balanced than anything else I've seen.  Except maybe Keith's templecon missions.

Maybe you should see more things?

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!  BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

These missions def look pretty sweet!  Maybe not for a tournament, but there are those weird people that play for that other thing? ...fun?  yeah, those creeps.

I like how the mission posted is for the two newest books.  Hopefully everyone gets one like in the third grade.
Tiger's Den founding member

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email

Maybe you should see more things?

Maybe you should show me something balanced. 

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
Maybe you should try to win instead of bitching

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
I know it's fun to dump on Matt, but the book missions are honestly pretty darn good.  The main flaw to them, IMO, is that they have objective placement after deployment zones are determined.  Of course, that also forces people to build to be aggressive, as you need to be able to deal with it if your opponent has the majority of the objectives placed 6" from his back table edge.  Which, come to think of it, may be intended to actually make the edition a bit less shooty.   

Certainly there are lots of other balanced and fun missions out there.  Though usually wacky thematic missions aren't balanced.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
I know it's fun to dump on Matt...
Actually it's not fun. I see it as an obligation. Silence implies consent and agreement.

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Is this where you tell me to "clear the corners, rookie", or where I tell you that your hands look plenty dirty to me? 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
I know it's fun to dump on Matt...
Actually it's not fun. I see it as an obligation. Silence implies consent and agreement.

Y'know, dude, I have been trying not to pick a fight with you. Silence implies trying to be a better man.   

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Is this where you tell me to "clear the corners, rookie", or where I tell you that your hands look plenty dirty to me?
This is the part where I get my hands dirty.

Y'know, dude, I have been trying not to pick a fight with you. Silence implies trying to be a better man.
Matt,  you'd be better liked if you took that attitude while playing.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
Lets all just hug it out. 

OR....

Beat the hell out of each other.

Or OR....

Shoot boltguns at each other like true men of the future.  Nothing like s4 ap5 shots to spell out brotherly love!