Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament - 3/30/2013  (Read 8171 times)

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
Re: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament - 3/30/2013
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
Personally I would vote for a 100% painted policy.

Totally understand why it's not always possible though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:44:38 PM by Erich »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
The Plainville community is still quite young. We're edging toward the possibility of 100% paint. Plus, edition changes and new codices, all that leads to a lot of desire to play and not enough time to paint properly. I understand that quite well.

King of the Elves

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »
Whenever I play, I try to have all my models primed. It at lease shows that I am planning on painting them, and I would be 100% towards a painting requirement as well.  Maybe for the next 500 point one???

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
As noted in the previous Invitational thread, I think it would be amazing if that particular event had a 100% painted policy.

As for the "regular" events, while I would much rather play against a painted force I think trying to track and manage any percentage-based policy would be far more work than it is worth.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
There's quite a few reasons why we don't require any models to be painted or primed for (the vast majority of) our tournaments and events.  Some have been touched upon in this thread.

The largest contributing factor is that I want our tournaments and events to be as accessible as possible to as many players as possible and as many army designs as possible.  It is my belief that tournament attendance would drop if a painting requirement was implemented and that's worse for everyone involved, including the people that don't play or are discouraged because of it.

For instance, I don't ever plan to tell the 15 year old (or college kid) that he's got to paint the 90 orks (or guardsmen) he's got before he can play in a tournament / event.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »
Whenever I play, I try to have all my models primed. It at lease shows that I am planning on painting them, and I would be 100% towards a painting requirement as well.  Maybe for the next 500 point one???

Yeah, it is about progress. A player may not have a fully painted army for tournament A, but show up for tournament B with several units painted and then, tournament C with even more. That's great as it shows a desire to get a fully painted force on the table. We all know it takes a long time to paint an army.

Please though, enforce WYSIWYG and fully assembled models.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:23:06 AM by Erich »

Thefallen

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
Im just curious as to why people can't use 40k approved FW units. Excluding titans and superheavys most FW stuff is pretty balanced (pts to power wise). The ”40k approved” stuff isn't overpowered or broken.  The fill the gaps for some armies.  Not to mention it could help balance the older codexes to the newer ones. Not to mention that players might be able to stand up to and possibly beat those super cheesy net-lists that the WAAC players love so much.
Just curious . Im not trolling.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Im just curious as to why people can't use 40k approved FW units. Excluding titans and superheavys most FW stuff is pretty balanced (pts to power wise). The ”40k approved” stuff isn't overpowered or broken.  The fill the gaps for some armies.  Not to mention it could help balance the older codexes to the newer ones. Not to mention that players might be able to stand up to and possibly beat those super cheesy net-lists that the WAAC players love so much.
Just curious . Im not trolling.

I know Adepticon allows Forgeworld and has a huge list of what is allowed. I'm not sure how many other big tournaments allow it (NOVA, etc)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:20:52 PM by PhoenixFire »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »
Im just curious as to why people can't use 40k approved FW units.
Because stores that encourage people to spend money elsewhere rarely stay open. :)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »
I have my doubts on how much it would really matter.  What percentage funds spent on BG plastic minitures would really get spent on overseas resin, instead?  A very small  fraction, I imagine.  Most FW is bought by senior gamers more for the visuals more than anything else, using the associated rules is just a bonus. 

At the doubles tournament in abington, how many FW models were there, even?  I had one HW model, which if I wasn't allowed to use as his FW rules I often use him to be Farsight or something else. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
I think it's probably a lot more than most people would initially consider.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
I think it's probably a lot more than most people would initially consider.

I doubt it.  I mean, I know for me, you would get a lot more money out of me RE: Eldar if I could take FW stuff. Otherwise I am not doing the army. I haven't done a different one because I am not doing that either.

How many FW armies are exclusively made from FW models? Hardly any.  Which means they have to buy regular GW stuff, or adding to an army that most people here would have bought here.

There are two situations, people who buy a splash model to supplement their force(IE most people), and people who are going to spend the money to make a mainly FW model army(Older gamer with enough money to do so).   The first situation isn't a problem, shit, it might even sell more GW stuff for you because the local meta will change.

Why stop at Forgeworld chase?  Why not ban the Sporepod that Bill or I bought for our Tyranid army since GW doesn't offer one.  Make it so the only legal sporepod is based on a space marine drop pod so I could possibly buy it here.  I use alternative models in my Fantasy armies(much easier to do than 40k), things that are not availible for sale at BG, should they be banned? 

Seriously, the people who are going to buy/use FW are typically gamers who are heavily invested in the game. People who are heavily invested in the game, have a strong interest in BG doing well as it is the healthiest game store within like 3 hours, and constantly runs the best events. 

Most of us already buy through you despite easy opportunity to buy them cheaper on the internet.
Shit, if it would help I would buy FW through you AND pay you shipping (even though larger orders are often shipped for free), so the store makes a little.  Do you have to follow suggested retail for FW? I would gladly buy a FW item/book that is in the store and a 20$ "Soda" if that is what it takes.

Perhaps we should make this a separate discussion?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »
That wraithlord farseer guy makes and eldar army, man.  I would totally play an eldar army just for wraithlords and bikes.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
I am with Keith on this one.   You know that I often play armies that are heavily non-GW models...  but I still pay the tourney entry fee (and buy some of the paint etc) from Battlegrounds so I'm still being a customer. 

And actually... this might sound absurd but it might illustrate the point... If you were to charge an extra $10-15 on the entry fee for a tourney if the player wanted to include any Forgeworld models, I'D PROBABLY PAY it.  And not only that, I'd be happy because now I get to bring my ForgeWorld to a tournament!   
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Thefallen

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
Well my mortis dred I built was purchaced at bg.. 1 aegis dline and a dred. thats $80. I spent at BG and if I could use FW rules I would buy two more. that's $160. I would spend if FW rules get included in future turni's.