Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament - 3/30/2013  (Read 8173 times)

steelforge

• Heroic Tier Level 2
Re: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament - 3/30/2013
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
I would vote against a painted policy.
Here's why.
I want to play Space Wolves in the 1850.
I created my new 'leet list.
It requires 9 Combi guys.
I do not have 9 combi guys.
I checked my bits box.
Lacking the legs and torso, I need to go to BG to get stuff.  Additionally my list needs another transport.
Thus I am going to buy a Blood Angels box set.

If I were required to play all painted, I would play Tau and buy nothing.

-Gundam John

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
Battleground currently has zero plans to require painting in any of the "normal" events we run.

Here's the list of events where we've required painted armies:

The Megabattle (once a year)
The first 500 point event (the 2nd didn't have the requirement)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
Aw no Forge World? I was planning on having my minotaurs ready for the Event :(. Oh well! I will use my old reliable Ultramarines 4th company. Are any other abington regulars going? Due to my poor sleep cycle im going to try to get a room at I think a nearby sister hotel and have to pay practicly nothing for it.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
There's a Hoilday Inn Express like 4 min and 10 min away from the store, Steve.

There's a regualt Holiday in like 9 min away too.

Everyone that plays in this event is also invited to join us for TableTop Game Day afterwards.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »

There's a regular Holiday Inn like 9 min away too.

Everyone that plays in this event is also invited to join us for TableTop Game Day afterwards.

Dan Bunker

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »
Does this count towards an invitational? is there an invitational this year?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I have not made public mention of what my plans are for the Invitational this year.

Here's a glimpse...

Invitational Qualifying tournaments will likely resume in the summer.  The year will likely span something like May - May or August - August.

It's just really, really difficult to plan an event that people can attend at the end of the year.

We are almost certainly going to split the two events this year as well.

2x 16 person events.  Win - Loss (4 rounds), 1 day.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »

There's a regualt Holiday in like 9 min away too.

Im making Arrangements at the Holiday Inn Mansfield which is 3.72 Miles away so I dont have to drive the morning of and risk falling asleep behind the wheel.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Here's the latest in what I'm thinking in terms of "by the book" scenarios (thanks, Ben).

Adepticon style scoring.

mission: emperor's will + big guns never tire (Emperor's Will Never Tires!)
deployment: vanguard strike
5 objectives, nova style
primary: emperor's will (the objective in each deployment zone)
secondary: three objectives in the middle "no man's land"
special rules: heavy support options count as scoring for all objectives

mission: the scouring + purge the alien (Purge the Scouring Alien!)
deployment: hammer & anvil (maybe)
6 objectives, placed by players (per scouring)
primary: the scouring (we can provide players with paper to keep track of objective values, highly suggested)
secondary: purge the alien (kill points)
special rules: see missions

mission: the relic + crusade (The Relic Crusade!)
deployment: dawn of war
5 objectives. 1 objective, dead center of board (relic). players place other 4.
primary: crusade
secondary: relic

Tertiary will be slay the warlord, linebreaker and first blood at 1, 2, and 3 points a piece.

I may throw in the point differential in an effort to get some variation cooking.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »
With emperor's will never tires; does this mean there will be 8 objectives on the table?

Purge the scouring alien; will each player have 3,2,1 point value objective to place or will they placed than random per book?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »
Thanks for letting us know what you were thinking for missions, Chase.

primary: the scouring (we can provide players with paper to keep track of objective values, highly suggested)

While even numbers is better than odd numbers places, it's still not great.  You'll find things like the gunline army putting all their objectives on the back line, while the more assaulty army can't. 

I really would prefer that half or all of the objectives be static.  Or not hammer and anvil.  H&A is probably the worst deployment to let people place objectives on.  I like H&A, generally, just not when people get to place.

IN Big guns and scouring, are killing Heavy or Fast, respectively, worth extra points?  That would affect my list choices, a lot.    That's why they make them worth a victory point in those missions, so you don't just load up on them.

Tertiary will be slay the warlord, linebreaker and first blood at 1, 2, and 3 points a piece.

Rotating through which ones are worth the most points?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »
With emperor's will never tires; does this mean there will be 8 objectives on the table?

Purge the scouring alien; will each player have 3,2,1 point value objective to place or will they placed than random per book?
Emperor's Will Never Tires, 5 objectives total. 1 in each deployment zone (primary), 3 in the middle (secondary).

Purge the Scouring Alien. It would seem wise to have objectives placed first, with players alternating, and then roll for deployment. I'd like to see the 4,3,3,2,2,1 scheme in play.

Overall, I think it would be nice to modify the book missions as little as possible, since so many people have argued their value. It'll make a nice theme for the day, at least.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »

Nope, just 5.  Vanguard deployment should make this very cool.

Primary you're playing Emps Will, where heavies score.
Secondary you're fighting for the 3 in the "center" (no mans land in between the respective Vanguard DZs), where heavies can score.

I'm a huge fan of this mission.

They will be determined at random, as per the book.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:31:08 AM by Chase »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »
I really would prefer that half or all of the objectives be static.  Or not hammer and anvil.  H&A is probably the worst deployment to let people place objectives on.  I like H&A, generally, just not when people get to place.

IN Big guns and scouring, are killing Heavy or Fast, respectively, worth extra points?  That would affect my list choices, a lot.    That's why they make them worth a victory point in those missions, so you don't just load up on them.

The Scouring was meant to complement the Hammer & Anvil deployment. Fast Attack scoring units should keep players on their toes, regardless of where objectives are placed.

If old VPs end up here, maybe those units can be worth more, or each Heavy/Fast unit destroyed can count as an objective toward tallying up the final score for those respective missions? It wouldn't be impossible to adapt that principle.

I feel if a player loads up on Heavy and/or Fast choices, they are likely to find their lists imbalanced for other missions. I personally never thought it was a good idea to make these different slots scoring units, but this whole tournament concept is "by the book" as much as possible.

If there wasn't a full house, I'd suggest running VPs out of the book, by the book. But there has to be a greater deal of variance in scoring for this event, based on expected attendance. Adepticon style has to date served BG well.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
Thanks for letting us know what you were thinking for missions, Chase.

No prob.  It's similar to what we had going on in that other thread.  These were Ben's and super close to what I was going for previously.

While even numbers is better than odd numbers places, it's still not great.  You'll find things like the gunline army putting all their objectives on the back line, while the more assaulty army can't.

I'm not super worried about this.  It's a book mission and has book mission issues.  The number of points each objective is worth will be determined randomly. 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 is likely what we'll go with.

I don't really want to mess with the book mission ideas too much for this event.  I agree that Hammer and Anvil is likely not ideal for this scenario.  I am reluctant to use H&A in this event unless we modify it (which I don't want to do.)  This is mainly because I may go to 40 players and the store would be very congested at that point.  H&A might be too awkward.

Good feedback.  Maybe we could make them worth double towards the point differential?

Rotating through which ones are worth the most points?

Yes.