Author Topic: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations  (Read 17398 times)

Grand Master Steve

Re: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
Agreed Marines lead by a named charecter like Vulcan perform well but vanilla Ultra Marines do not.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
They work just fine without vulcan.  Librarians, in particular, are pretty good. 

im hoping GW will revive ultramarines to be playable again.

Statements like this make me laugh. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
I really disagree unless you take trick poney units Ultras get trashed. I have an entire company worth of Marines and they are inadaqeute. I guess either A. I need some trick ponies like Sterngaurd, or B. I really have no idea how to run my Ultramarines properly.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
Sternguard aren't really a one trick pony. I use a unit in my Lamenters and they pretty much rise to just about any occasion. I love them.

If you aren't using units like terminators, sternguard, or librarians, you're restricting yourself. Just because you can't crush with nothing but tacticals (which I'm not sure is impossible) doesn't mean the codex is suffering.
beep bop boop

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
Sternguard aren't really a one trick pony. I use a unit in my Lamenters and they pretty much rise to just about any occasion. I love them.

If you aren't using units like terminators, sternguard, or librarians, you're restricting yourself. Just because you can't crush with nothing but tacticals (which I'm not sure is impossible) doesn't mean the codex is suffering.

Thats the problem, those units are good, while the rest dont meet or atleast work out as well once the new 6th codex's came out. everything else is getting weaker and weaker with the release of new codex's. Hell, very few people use any fast slots except for fliers, and before fliers came out it was the same
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »
Doesn't Calgar have a 2+/4++ when in terminator armor?

With my Carcharodons, I found 6th to be almost better for them in some ways considering the only vehicles I would ever take were drop pods, dreadnoughts and assault rams. I'm a whore for terminators and well...

Now with 6th, I can drop the expensive ram and take a stormraven and a storm talon and now be better off. Terminators are the bees knees, even tactical ones are.

/shrug.
Speculations:
I would speculate that marines would stay the same price because now ATSKNF is actually better.
Flakk missiles will be everywhere a missile launcher is
(hope) chapter tactics will still be a thing
Still have the cheapest / "best" terminators in the game
More special characters
Another flyer
Some more special anti CSM stuff because of fluff
Vanguard vets not being able to assault turn they come in
The base marine is good but everyone likes to forget that ATSKNF is pretty awesome.
I am pretty sure sergeants will be "free" like in the CSM dex.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
I have a Librian in Termie armor, maybe ill use him  more. Im also going to invest in termie squads for my ultras. I just wish my Tactical Squads didnt rely on the elite units as much. A price drop in Tac Marines would be very nice much like the D.A codex. That will allow more room for Elite slots.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Doesn't Calgar have a 2+/4++ when in terminator armor?

/shrug.
Speculations:
I would speculate that marines would stay the same price because now ATSKNF is actually better.
Flakk missiles will be everywhere a missile launcher is
(hope) chapter tactics will still be a thing
Still have the cheapest / "best" terminators in the game
More special characters
Another flyer
Some more special anti CSM stuff because of fluff
Vanguard vets not being able to assault turn they come in
The base marine is good but everyone likes to forget that ATSKNF is pretty awesome.
I am pretty sure sergeants will be "free" like in the CSM dex.

Yes Calgar keeps his Iron halo so he has 2+/4+ save in his Termi Armor

ATSKNF is in every Marine Codex including Dark Angels and they had a Point Drop on Tactical marines. I wouldn't mind even just getting the part of taking only 1 Heavy or Special Weapon under ten models.

Terminators are Awesome I won't disagree. Are they the best Terminators in the game? Yes, I can see them being the best they just end up being specialized for that cost.

I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
Resurrecting this thread a bit for some new Space Marine rumors

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/07/40k-rumors-space-marine-minis.html

The codex is not Ultramarines heavy. There will be a much broader spectrum of Chapters.

There will be supplements for the more famous chapters: Ultramarines, Imperial Fists and White Scars, and Raven Guard were all mentioned. White Scars are the first out the gate.

The cover of the new dex has apparently got Sicarius on the front, while the White Scar Codex has a bike squadron racing towards the enemy.

Expect to see loads of new weapons and squads. Possible inclusions are:
-Land Raider Terminus (4 las cannon sponsons)
-Larger form of Terminator
-"Big Kit" is a massive Dreadnought that is similar to an oversized Contemptor

Regarding the "larger terminators" - these models are described as being similar in aesthetic to the curving shapes of both the Contemptor and Tau Stealth suits. Bigger than current Terminators - but smaller than a Dreadnought.

Regarding the "big kit" - this model has been described as being the "lovechild of an existing Dreadnought, and a Contemptor - but ENORMOUS.  It has also been described as a "Knight" with the following old EPIC images hinted at:

Can't wait to see what this new Dreadnought monstrous creature is going to look like, of course it's probably going to be $120 bucks just like the Eldar one.

The larger terminators sound interesting, maybe they're the terminator devestators that have been talked about forever, or maybe something assaulty

There were some other rumors a while ago about Rhino variants like a "Medic" rhino and such.

All these rumors about SM supplements give more strength to SM coming out in september/october, but i don't know where Black Templars are going to fit in since they've had a lot of rumors recently saying their codex will drop this year.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
Just saying, the space marine codex is fine.  Par the course, tac squads and a few things will get point reductions.  Then they'll be even better.  There is a reason we compare everything to the codex/units.
Tiger's Den founding member

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »
Just saying, the space marine codex is fine.  Par the course, tac squads and a few things will get point reductions.  Then they'll be even better.  There is a reason we compare everything to the codex/units.

Oh i agree it's a perfectly viable codex now but it does need an update, i'm looking forward to...

Units getting a price cut as they are currently some of the most expensive in the marine world

ICs making units troops instead of them being "scoring" ie sternguard

the new toys in the form of the aforementioned super dreadnought and super terminators

The new supplement books have potential as well, everyone seems excited for the Tau one, i haven't heard much about the Lyandon one for Eldar. There is also one hitting for CSM soon

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:11 AM »
This is from a while back, but here's a take on Space Marines that served Ben Mohile pretty well:

BEN MOHLIE 1000pt List
Librarian: Null Zone, Gate of Infinity [100]
Assault Terminators: 10 terminators, all TH/SS [400]

Troop 1:
10 Marines, meltagun (5), missile launcher (free), Sgt. with Power fist (25), combi-melta(10), teleport homer [225]

Troop 2:
Scouts: 5 scouts, telion, missile launcher [135]

Transport 1: Rhino(35)    dozer blade                           [40]

Thunderfire Cannon: [100]
Total 1000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEN MOHLIE 2000 pt List
Vulkan He'Stan                                                  [190]
Librarian: Null Zone, Gate of Infinity, combi-flamer    [115]

5 Assault Terminators: TH/SS  [200]
Dreadnought: twin-linked auto-cannon, twin-linked auto-cannon [125]

Troop 1:
10 Marines, meltagun (5), missile launcher (free), Sgt. with Power fist (25), combi-melta(10) [210]

Troop 2:
10 Marines, flamer (free), missile launcher(free), Sgt. with Power fist (25), combi-flamer(10) [205]

Troop 3:
10 Marines, flamer(free), missile launcher(free), combi-flamer(10) [180]

Fast Attack 1:
Land Speeder: (50) heavy bolter (free), typhoon missiles (40)  [90]
Fast Attack 2:
Land Speeder: (50) heavy bolter (free), typhoon missiles (40)  [90]
Fast Attack 3:
Attack Bike Squadron: 2 attack bikes with multi-meltas           [100]

Heavy Support 1:
Land Raider: extra armor (15), Multi-Melta (10) [275]
Heavy Support 2:
Thunderfire Cannon: [100]

Transport 1: Rhino(35)    dozer blade                           [40]
Transport 2: Rhino(35)    dozer blade                           [40]
Transport 3: Rhazorback, twin-heavy bolters [40]

And here's his 1850 list from a couple years ago.

Granted these are 5th edition lists, so things have changed quite a bit, but I figured it couldn't hurt to offer them up.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 07:25:40 AM »
The biggest change to that list is really rule changes for Transports. Marines need to leave the Rhinos to capture objectives, if the Rhinos are destroyed by Turn 3 anyway. For Marines, I think the list is still solid, translated decently well into 6th.

With the current codex, Drop Pod Sternguard are probably the way to go, especially at 2000.

So much AP 2 these days.... what's a Marine player really supposed to do?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
I hope the god empra will protect us from an awful baby-carrier monstrous creature.

Seriously, the dreadknight is an awful model.

Also, MCs that are robots... It's as if GW hates CSM / has no internal company conversations.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
New Stuff!

Up for release in September is the new Codex: Space Marines.

- There will be 7 Ltd Ed varients. 6 of these will be covers for First Founding chapters, whilst the 7th will have Black Templars on the cover.

- New weapon family: Grav weapons. I believe these wound against the armour save (so terminators would be wounded as if they had a toughness of 2).

- First Founding chapters will be getting a substantial section each to themselves, so hopefully this can be looked as as Codex: Space Marines instead of Codex: Ultramarines. This will also show in a rule called Chapter Tactics, for which the effects depend on the chapter being played.

- There is a new armour type that at first glance looks to be somewhere between a terminator and a dreadnought - looking more closely, it appears to go over the marine's power armour however.
- This new armour can be armed in 2 ways, depending on the user. The devastator version has either a bolter array or missile launchers mounted on the chest armour, whilst the gauntlets can be armed with heavy bolters, lascannons or grav cannons. The assault version has a bolter array or frag launchers mounted on the chest armour, with assault drills mounted on the gauntlets.

- There are 2 new AA tanks. One tank veterans will already be familiar with as the Hunter, armed an AA missile launcher. The other tank mounts 2 tri-barreled turrets instead.

- There is a new tactical squad. Lots of options as you'd expect, but of particular interest will probably be the grav pistol and grav rifle.

- A new plastic Sternguard veteran squad.

- A new plastic Vanguard veteran squad.

- New plastic characters: a captain, a librarian and a chaplain.