Author Topic: Irish tradition  (Read 1672 times)

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
Irish tradition
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
my physics teacher right now moved from ireland to america in 1981 and he was talking to us on st. patrics day about how cornbeef and cabbage actually is not an irish tradition somehow it was made up in america and called an irish tradition from the americanized irish...
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Irish tradition
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »
my physics teacher right now moved from ireland to america in 1981 and he was talking to us on st. patrics day about how cornbeef and cabbage actually is not an irish tradition somehow it was made up in america and called an irish tradition from the americanized irish...

He was being nice.  I had an Irish woman (recently move) say in a very angry tone "That is an ENGLISH dish, not Irish."  Corned Beef and Cabbage are about as Irish as anything starting with "General..." is Chinese cuisine.

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:39:21 AM »
This surprised you? Welcome to America, we want to be everything else while being nothing at all.

brennanpjbren

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
Sorry guys, corned beef is Jewish.  American Irish were looking for something close to Irish bacon that was affordable and their Jewish neighbors introduced them to it.  Remember this was a time when Irish immigrents looking for work were greeted with "Irish Need Not apply" signs,  my brother actualy has an original sign in his barn to remind us of where we came from. 

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »
This surprised you? Welcome to America, we want to be everything else while being nothing at all.

All I want to be is AMERICAN. *Salute*
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Commissar Grey

• God
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »

St. Patrick was Italian.....well, a Roman Britain who was enslaved by the Irish.