Author Topic: So, what's next?  (Read 1478 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: So, what's next?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
agreed, which is probably why only like 4 people committed last time.
Somewhere in the forums is a long thread about why the last league failed, because to both Chase and I at the time the failure was incomprehensible. I can guarantee that thread will be read again before anything new is officially attempted. :)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
agreed, which is probably why only like 4 people committed last time.
Somewhere in the forums is a long thread about why the last league failed, because to both Chase and I at the time the failure was incomprehensible. I can guarantee that thread will be read again before anything new is officially attempted. :)

boom

http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=3692.0

andalucien

• God
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Interesting stuff there.

So, I've never done a warhammer league before, but I've witnessed many league-like game structures fall apart, and seen exactly 1 succeed.

The one that succeeded was a Magic the Gathering league where about 20 guys at a store agreed to "start over", go back to basics, buy a starter pack, and 2 boosters, and trade at will with each other only from among those cards, just like when the game was young and overall resources were limited.   We recorded games played within the "bubble" and had a ladder system.   Similiar to the ladder system you see at like Racketball clubs).

It worked because the organization was so loose.  There was no one time when you had to be at tthe store.  You could play as much or as little as you wanted but obviously to maintain your spot on or climb the ladder you had to play a decent amount.   Games were self-arranged.    This all made it very resistant to any sort of real-life encroachment / scheduling type issues.  Some people became disinterested, and this had little effect on the people that were still interested. 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Tharcil

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
Interesting stuff there.

So, I've never done a warhammer league before, but I've witnessed many league-like game structures fall apart, and seen exactly 1 succeed.

The one that succeeded was a Magic the Gathering league where about 20 guys at a store agreed to "start over", go back to basics, buy a starter pack, and 2 boosters, and trade at will with each other only from among those cards, just like when the game was young and overall resources were limited.   We recorded games played within the "bubble" and had a ladder system.   Similiar to the ladder system you see at like Racketball clubs).

It worked because the organization was so loose.  There was no one time when you had to be at tthe store.  You could play as much or as little as you wanted but obviously to maintain your spot on or climb the ladder you had to play a decent amount.   Games were self-arranged.    This all made it very resistant to any sort of real-life encroachment / scheduling type issues.  Some people became disinterested, and this had little effect on the people that were still interested.

The above and comments from the other thread ring very true for me. Requirements to play or meet regularly are my biggest concern.  I'd love to see something where it is more of a ladder standings that is based off of win to loss percentage than number of games played, maybe with an adjustment for more games played, or different brackets for number of games played. 

Also, with regards to a map to track territories and holdings, I would love for it to accommodate where people can play whomever they want however many times.  Maybe an option to fight over a specific location gives the bonuses or a specific scenarios to encourage people to play against new players, but still allow for none location games on the map to affect the the standings.

This is something that I could commit tons of time to, but not scheduled pre-set times or a required weekly event even.  Something with this kind of flexibility would keep me interested for a good while. 

Also, very willing and able to help with the organization, map locations ideas, narrative, illustrations, custom painted models or help with scenery for map locations.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
Looks like the last one failed due to poor communication and organization. Abington BG ran a very successful league that I attended in 2005, it was the structure that I explained in my last post.. there is a "league day" but like I said if you can't make that day then you and you're oppenent can schedule a different day in the same week. Honestly if you can't commit to 1 day(of your choice) per week then you shouldn't even be thinking about joining any league. If you make it so disorganized that you start allowing players to choose how many games they can play, then whole thing will unravel pretty damn quickly.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
There's nothing to worry about as far as a league goes.

When the time for a league comes it'll be set up and run pretty much exactly how the last one would have been, which takes into account almost every single request in this thread.

Here's how to run a successful hobby-game league:

1) Have a cool idea and cool rules that force people to make choices they perceive as having value.
2) Have at least one community "alpha" and/or employee involved, interested, and garnering excitement from the beginning.
3) Have structure but be flexible.

The last league was missing number 2, which is probably the most important.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel