Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 8778 times)

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »
right now i'm going throu the 13 isssues of "Knights of the pendragon" i got from an ebay auction the other day.;   yes it is comics, and yes they are Marvel UK.  BUT they were written by Dan abbnot back in 1992 well before his gaunts ghost series.

thou i am going to start re-reading the game of thrones series as the latest part book 5, Dance with Dragons will be out before the end of the year (i'm not holding my breath) Goerge RR martin is not known for his being able to keep to time tables.
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Dark Angel Cadaver

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Myspace
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »

EDIT - Seriously, the Dark Tower series.

I too am reading the Dark Tower series (Stephen King is a great author)
Im also reading Death's Messenger wich is a Warhammer novel but i forget by who, after i finish that book i plan on reading either Angels of Decent or that other Dark Angels book....

Bob

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
proposed T11 standards for FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet)....

Yeah, its about as much fun as its sounds...
Some examples of the documentation I have to digest here if you are morbidly interested
http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/bb-5/08-116v0.pdf

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
Well,
        A few Things have just closed. I finished Cornelius Ryans A bridge too far last week. Great book, given my current mode on airborne Guard this was kinda interesting. Heres' what happens when light inf meet lots of tanks...

Sandworms of Dune, yes it's all finally over, I suppose I should try and re-read the entire series in chronological order now. But not this week.

Now I've just started Day of battle. Concerning the allied invasion of Sicilly and Italy, looking good so far, who new the Americans accidentally shipped tons of Mustard gas shells to the invasion fleet.. That could have screwed things up  :-[

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »
I came across something that I think may be a fun way for people to find other books that you may like to read.  Since this is a thread on reading I figured it is safe to put it here.

But, before I continue there's a bit of disclaimer/preamble to give.  Most of you don't, but some do, know that I'm Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees for the Dedham Public Library (my local library).  Its an elected position that oversees a lot of things (million dollar budget, tons of trust funds, large staff, etc).  I just found out about a cool new database that we got a free trial to for all of July called Books and Authors.

The thing I think you guys would like is a feature of that database.  If you go to Books & Authors then click (who, what, where, when).

You choose what you want (for example Warlord and Roman Empire) and it'll tell you what book(s) fit your requirements.  In this case we get The Man on the White Horse. 

I've been playing around with it and it gives some neat suggestions I'd never think of otherwise.  Thought I'd share the info.  Feel free to test it out as much as you like.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »
I was reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley but since the summer has started i seem to have come to a pause in my reading. Im also workin on The Art of War by Machiavelli, but once again summer seems to have gotten the best of me.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »
I was reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley but since the summer has started i seem to have come to a pause in my reading. Im also workin on The Art of War by Machiavelli, but once again summer seems to have gotten the best of me.

I read Brave New World this year for English.  I didn't really like it.  Frankenstein, which we read at the same time to cover the topic, I loved.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
I'm currently on Book 4 of Steven Erickson's Malazan series.  I'm not sure how many books are even in the series, but it's awesome in it's detail and characterization.  Easily on a par with George Martin's Game of Thrones series.

I'm also re-reading all of H.P. Lovecraft's stories that I have.
"Oooh, it looks like the Russians are burning"
   -- Chase

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »
I'm still enjoying the Starkey book, I'm reading it leisurely, but I'm also really into the Monster series by Naoki Urasawa (a graphic novel).  It is a pretty interesting suspense story that also looks at the inner machinations of mankind.  What makes a person a monster?  How do we transform into one and what are the results?

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 04:14:58 AM »
I'm almost done with a great nonfic called Leisureville.  It discusses retirement communities, one in particular in Florida called The Villages, that is an eye opener.

Seniors are giving up lots of freedoms to live in these private gated communities and then do nothing, it seems, but unprotected sex (seniors are the #1 fastest growing group of people getting STDs), drink, party, and play golf.

I recommend this for anyone wanting a good nonfic title or a chance to see what your parents/grandparents/you (not too far down the road) are in for.

Dark Angel Cadaver

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Myspace
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
Just finished Garth Nix's Seventh tower 1-3 and now am starting Descent of Angels.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
I am reading the new Horus Heresy book, it has space battles and word bearer's

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »
I am on page 2 of the prologue of book 1 (Eye of the World) of Wheel of Time.  Is it supposed to be so dry so fast so soon at the start of the first book of the series?  Will it improve if I stick with it for a few chapters?  Please say yes.

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
I am on page 2 of the prologue of book 1 (Eye of the World) of Wheel of Time.  Is it supposed to be so dry so fast so soon at the start of the first book of the series?  Will it improve if I stick with it for a few chapters?  Please say yes.

I think the first book has some action in it, but I don't recall when it starts.  That being said, I don't exactly condone starting the series.  Its entertaining for a bit, but parts of it are slow and dry.  I believe one of his billion page books covers one day. 

Just finished Garth Nix's Seventh tower 1-3 and now am starting Descent of Angels.

I didn't like Descent of the Angels much.  It didn't cover what I was hoping it would cover.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »

Wheel of Time is good for maybe 4 or 5 books and then it just starts to hit sucksville bordering prolongedtown.

It was milked after the 5th or 6th book to make $$ and really was terrible

As for Eye of the World, it has some exciting points and gets better by the end with some intense combat.