Author Topic: Danger Planet Games Closes its Doors End of April 2009  (Read 2249 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Danger Planet Games Closes its Doors End of April 2009
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
I know this thread is about a different store but thought it pertinent enough to share here.  Hopefully it is okay.

As of the end of this April Danger Planet Games in Waltham will be closing at its current location of 36 Spruce Street.  The economic climate has forced this closure and the owner and staff are hoping to re-open at a different location soon.

I share this because some of you may have played at events there (such as tourneys) and also because this is the 2nd or 3rd gaming store in the area that I've heard closing/going out of business in the past year.  There was Game Haven Hobbies and also another further south who went out.  This recession (I'd call it a depression but supposedly we're not there yet) has put a strain on many people and businesses.

Although gaming tends to be "recession proof" (as they say) because when times are tough people purchase things like board games for continuous family entertainment instead of renting films, going to the theatre, or going out to eat, the fact that DP and Game Haven have or are closing is proof that even supposedly recession proof areas are not as safe as we thought.

Lastly, I know things have never been better at BG for Derek, Beth, and Chase but our continued support and patronage can only make things better.  Thank you Derek, Beth, and Chase for all you do to make BG one of the corner stones of Massachusetts gaming and for making me feel welcomed all those moons ago when I trailed behind Steve D into the store.  You guys have helped me to form new and lasting friendships with many of the regulars and for this I'm especially grateful.

I can't wait until the new War at Sea set releases so I can drop some of my saved cash on something besides wedding preparations.  And, let's hope that Danger Planet is able to find a new home soon for the benefit of their patrons.  It is nice to think that everyone has their own version of BG somewhere.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Danger Planet Games Closes its Doors End of April 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Don't light the funeral pyre yet.

Brian and the rest of the Danger Planet crew are resilient.  The community there is strong.  The reason for the store closing at the end of the month is because of the building being sold and the new owners having other plans.   Sure the recession, economic downturn, what ever you want to call it is having it's effects but DP is doing the right thing by evaluating the situation, clearing stock and pounding away that cash for a move / reopening.
http://www.dangerplanetgames.com/dpnuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14874

Danger Planet was my gaming home for a while before I started to go to Battleground more frequently.  I spent many a Thursday night playing 40k there.  I know it seems like it's the end for DP but there is still some hope considering it is a renter's market (sort of).  I'll keep the faith until it's all final.  Brian is an intelligent man and will figure it out.  When he says it's over, it's over. 

Until then, DP takes a bit of a break to restructure. 
He sells off the stock to clear out the store. 
He is keeping the terrain, tables, fixtures and everything that is irreplaceable.

I'll lament the loss of DP when it is really dead, just not the passing of it's current incarnation.

Jonathan is right though, support BG and be grateful for what we have here.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »
There's no doubt in my mind that Brian and the staff of DP will move on and recover from this in a new location.  He is absolutely a resourceful guy and equally as wonderful as Derek and everyone at BG.

Some of the best news I heard is when he said they are not selling or getting rid of any of their terrain.  As much as I'd love to personally acquire some of it I am much happier knowing they are keeping it for a re-opening.

The fact that it is closing at all sucks because for the people up near me DP is their Battleground.  I'm just glad BG isn't going through what they are.  But, it will give them a chance to put a new perspective on things.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »
I was also very sad to hear about the closing of Danger Planet. Our two communities have often shared some quality gaming together in the past and hopefully will be able to do so again in the not too distant future.

I've always felt a camaraderie with DP, and in particular the owner, Brian. Danger Planet opened about a year before Battleground, and in my scouting for other stores in the state, DP was at the top of my list for stores that were "doing it right."

Coincidentally, Brian and I both worked together at another company a few years before we decided to open our own game stores. We didn't work together long enough to get to know each other (we were on different shifts), but it's funny to think that we were both daydreaming about our identical future plans while working at the same company. It wasn't until years later that the connection was made that we both worked together.

I'm sure that DP will be able to find a new home if that's what their plans intail. They have a strong and loyal community and good people at the helm. I wish them the best.

And furthermore, to Jonathan and Rich, thank you for your kind words and continuous support. Battleground is lucky to have people in its community like yourselves and I am lucky to be able to call you both friends. Battleground is doing well, and there are plans in the works to make things even better. The next few years should reveal some great new changes...

And thank you to everyone else as well. Through your support and enthusiasm we will continue to bring you the best possible game store we can!

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax