Author Topic: Hey shwnlyns, let's talk some Cygnar!  (Read 1501 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Hey shwnlyns, let's talk some Cygnar!
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
This might be a better thread than the other one to discuss Cygnar tactics. Welcome to Cygnar.

Courage and Honour!

From the other thread:
I just started a Cygnar list knowing nearly nothing about Warmachine, so I'm looking for a little advise on how to put together a 35 point list. I'm thinking of taking some melee units to lead the way with ranged warjacks behind them, Like Sword knights with a Cyclone behind them or something of the sort. Any thoughts?

First thing to know about Warmachine is play, play and play. It's the only way to really know how any list works and unlike some *other* table top game, this one can't normally win based on list construction. Competency with the game mechanics and faction knowledge is pretty critical. Since the game is so complex, it's hard to know them all just reading about it. Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk Cygnar!

Sword knights are a great cheap unit. Well, the look pretty crappy since they are P+S 10 melee dudes without reach. Decent mat, are pretty fast and ok defensive stats. Sword knights love proper Cygnar buffs and reach warjacks.

They have flank faction warjack so if in combat they get +2 to hit and get another d6 on damage. So... if you line then up with say a Lancer, Stormclad or Centurion already in combat (I mention these ones because they have reach), on the charge, that crappy P+S 10 gets 4d6 on the charge. That will make even a Khadoran heavy flinch and will pretty much crack a beast without a buff up.

When thinking about Warmachine and effectiveness, you can't discount buffs and you need to think in averages. So on the normal 2d6, the average is somewhere between 6 and 7 for how you should be thinking. So that 4d6 we mentioned earlier is an average damage total of 22-24 with a really nice +2 to hit roll which means you will probably hit if it's not a warcaster.

You mentioned you wanted to use them as a screening unit. That can work but positioning is important and you will want them to be buffed properly. If they are in defensive line and have arcane shield (this is where I tell you to call up battleground to put aside a journeyman warcaster for you) on them, they become arm 19 which is great for shrugging off blast damage and Pow 10s and 12s. Remember, you have to meet def and beat arm.

As a screening unit, you will need to consider base sizes and your targets. A large base cannot see over a small base if they want to target a small base. You can always see up, you can't see down is how I remember this one. So you will need to properly position so you have some holes in your lines to shoot through if you are screening.

Cyclones are awesome and are one of the best jacks in the Cygnar arsenal. If you are just building up your list, know that they almost never need focus so they are a prime jack to marshal to one of our awesome jack marshals. The best marshal for ranged jacks that we have is the Arcane Tempest Gunmage UA. All 2 x d3 shots get to shoot like they are gunmages each turn. It's dirty and oh so amazing. Also, covering fire doesn't require focus so you can block charge ranges to single wound models, pow 12s can kill most infantry.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want to get some games in to try some stuff out. Cygnar seems weak at first when facing an Arm 20+ Khadoran heavy warjack until we knock it down, disrupt it and then ignore it until we feel like dealing with it.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: Hey shwnlyns, let's talk some Cygnar!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
Lot of information here, sounds like I need to pick up a few more models and give this thing a go. With so many different units out there its hard to know where to start but its good to know army construction doesn't make or break you.

Do you think it's worth it to by the army book to get  better idea of what all the models in the army do or just wing it, trial by fire kind of deal?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
Most all of the Cygnar units have a use but it's not always apparent so there isn't much that I wouldn't know what to do with save the firefly light jack but even then, it could be useful is marshaled on the sword knights as a cheap reach jack. So maybe trenchers but I think it's mostly that they aren't my style. I got into Cygnar because of the lightning and mages that shoot guns.

The army book isn't necessary and it doesn't have everything since it was put out at the beginning of Mk II. It's great for fluff and tactical tips which work a lot like a FAQ.

The deck is also in a similar vein but is nice to have since you can see all the stats of units pre-Wrath (which was the first expansion post Mk II).

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiCygnar Is a great resource for you as well. It's free so that's nice but it gives a decent general feel for most units. While I don't always agree with some of their thoughts, it will give you a good idea about what unit does what.

kialindo

• Live Life, Taste Death
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
Last night when I was in Abington Rich told me that Squire and I thought he said Reinholt would be great Solos to add to my slowly growing eCaine army..... But I cannot find a Reinholt fig.... help please.

My current fig list is:
Warcasters:  Stryker and eCaine
Light Warjacks:  Lancer, Charger, Firefly
Heavy Warjacks: Ironclad and Cyclone
Infantry:  Arcane Tempest Gunmages with UA and Black 13th

Thanks in advance...

Edit:  Found Reinholdt http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiireinholdt  but any other suggestions would be appreciated ...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:53:58 AM by kialindo »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Epic Eryiss too. ;)

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
When building these guys, I am going to magnetize the arms but do I also have to magnetize all the different heads to represent different jacks or can I just glue one on and call it good?

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • So what're we playing today?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I would just glue one head on and call it a day. Unless they specifically had special properties (which they don't but the Legion heavy kit does) it would matter but for how it looks just choose your favorite head. I do recommend having a single heavy kit dedicated to just 1 character jack because you are supposed to use the entire kit and there are plenty of small details they add (Gallant's book off the top of my head), but aside from the head it's just the weapons that matters the most for magnetizing.
I got a 1!....That's a good thing, right?

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."