Author Topic: Doubles Tournament Question Re: New IG Codex  (Read 2825 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Doubles Tournament Question Re: New IG Codex
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
I am told that in official GW tournaments that new material is not legal until 1 month after it is released.

Please let me know is you are for or against BG supporting the new IG Codex in the coming Doubles Tournament?

Is forcing someone that wants to use the new Codex to HAVE the new Codex (and not a print out) a week after it's released be cool or not?

Please support your argument.

Also the current ruling on the matter is; "No, the new IG Codex will not be allowed."
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Doubles Tournament Question Re: New IG Codex
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
Argument for:
The new codex fixes issues with the current guard codex.  One of the major ones being kill points which cripple guard players in certain scenarios.  In other scenarios, guard can be out horded by Orks, out gunned by Tau and out tanked by marines (Land raider spam).   

Most everyone playing guard currently have already looked over the new codex and will undoubtedly pick it up when it is released, giving them a week or so before the tournament.  In our community, I trust they will all only field guard if they feel comfortable with the new rules.

Also, anything against GW status quo is usually a good thing.

To sum it up:  Current incarnation of guard suffer greatly with 5th edition rules.

Argument against:
It's new and the community as a whole have not read it yet.

Either way, just be sure to be solid on it.  Old or new.  Don't let anyone deviate from the codex being supported by BG.  As a chaos player, I say let them use it as it will make it a more fair fight.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
I say let them bring the new codex. They'll have less to whine about when they lose.
beep bop boop

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »
I say let them bring the new codex. They'll have less to whine about when they lose.

It's a great point you make, eloquent too. That said, are you sure that you'll be okay not getting an auto-win in Kill point missions won't ruin your day?

I'd like to see the new codex in use, I think I may have already burned my old one :)

I cannot imagine any guard player not being ready to go with that as soon as it's released.

Will it cause confusion problems? I find that unlikely given the amount of noise we've seen surrounding it over the last few months. The store has a copy so anyone curious can start reading now, it's not like we all buy each dex as soon as it comes out anyway.

For my own personal preference, I'd rather it was allowed because, well I play guard, I want to play with the new toys GW want me to buy, and I've waited long enough..!!

When will that decision be made?

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
When will that decision be made?

Cheers,
Alan

Saturday, when I can talk to Derek about it in person.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I appreciate it.

Ravenous

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:36:34 AM »
Bring on the new codex, me and Lee are winning the tourney anyway. It can't be helped

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

It's a great point you make, eloquent too. That said, are you sure that you'll be okay not getting an auto-win in Kill point missions won't ruin your day?

I play Thousand Sons. That's already an auto-win. I really don't need any help from my opponent when my troops are so versatile and undercosted.
beep bop boop

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »
If i play I always win. Reasons:

1. Blood for the blood god, doesnt matter who dies my diety is happy.

2. 10 of my Berserkers close combat ability can match that of a horde of Orks.

3. Im freaken Steve D.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:14:31 PM »

I play Thousand Sons. That's already an auto-win. I really don't need any help from my opponent when my troops are so versatile and undercosted.

You been at the Night goblin mushrooms again??
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
After talking with Derek, we are going to allow players to choose which Guard Codex they would like to use in the event.  Players MUST tell their opponents which Codex they are using and that choice must be consistent from game to game.

It makes little sense to have new, exciting rules available and not allow players to use them.  It also makes little sense to require a Guard player to own the new Codex a week after it is released.

Please understand that we are making this ruling in an effort to work with our player base.  We are doing this due to the proximity of the release and the tournament to one another.

Note:  If both team members plan to play Guard together we would appreciate if both players used the same Codex.  Double dipping seems really lame.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:35:42 AM by Chase »