Author Topic: Lock and Load  (Read 2784 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Lock and Load
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Did they address their absolutely TERRIBLE production situation at all?

It's worse now than it's ever been...
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Neldar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
Re: Lock and Load
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Yes.

All I got was a vague "it's going to get better" answer.

They know they have a bottleneck that hasn't been getting better.

They also told me that the breakdown of the models should be improving soon to make assembly and stability of the new models better.

The options in the Prime Axiom for example are really cool and the ability to use the new flight bases on it is really nice.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
It's unfortunate that it's been happening for years with no signs of stopping.  I really, really hope it's going to get better VERY soon.  It's the PERFECT opportunity to capitalize on GW's colossal fuckup's this year. 

More and more players are asking about WM/H, but when you can't even stock some of the starter boxes or rule books (let's not even mention the models), it's extremely disheartening all around.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
What'd GW do?
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Rofel

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »
Basically they made it incredibly difficult/profitable for local game stores to stock "less popular" models, forcing players to shop from GW, they banned the international shipping of GW products, except for the UK who can ship to anyone, and the usual yearly GW price increase.

Yea, PP, step it up so Chase can take my money with shiny new models.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
Also, move up the date on convegence, seriously, ive been working my @$$ off this summer, and i finally find myself with enough money to actually pick up a whole faction at once, but now they make me wait =(. On that note, Chase, is it possible to reserve some cyriss items for when they arrive?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:39 AM »
I plan to get a shitload of CoC.  If you know what you'd like, definitely let me know.  Unfortunately, the way PP works these days is that you either get the model the day / week it comes out or you wait 3+ months before the distributors get it back in stock again.  (I'm looking at you eMorvahna and pretty much everything else released in 2013 or anything that people like to field).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:08:20 AM by Chase »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:15:01 AM »
Basically they made it incredibly difficult/profitable for local game stores to stock "less popular" models, forcing players to shop from GW, they banned the international shipping of GW products, except for the UK who can ship to anyone, and the usual yearly GW price increase.

Yea, PP, step it up so Chase can take my money with shiny new models.

This and they flat out destroyed the Tau release.  I had ZERO new Tau stuff until 3 weeks after half the country.  Eldar was better but not perfect... Heavily allocated.  Their fill rates went from 100% meaning I could expect to get 100% of whatever I wanted to order to about 70% (PP is about 40%, on a good day, pooling the resources of the two largest distributors in the country and factoring in all of their warehouses).

If PP was anywhere near a 100% fill rate their game would be at least twice as popular in Plainville.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »
Here's a quick example of what it looks like trying to order Cryx stuff from Alliance.  Notice the "warehouse stock".  Y means they have it in that warehouse.  N means they don't.  It's also worth mentioning that they only ship to me from non-east coast warehouses if my order is "large" and I've got a certain dollar amount coming from one or more of the other warehouses.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
Chase, to be fair, I won't mention other names here but do you think it could be a straight up distributor dropping the ball / being jerks here? Since they are too lazy to ship it out from x warehouse even if it exists sounds like bad management on their part. If that's the case, it's more than just PP not producing enough to meet demand.

I am pretty certain that the models I have been waiting for (the lions share of a Rhulic faction) are available at online stores. I just find it distasteful to go that route. ;)

Also, it's not just the new releases flying off the shelf, I can't get stuff that's been out for years because the distributors don't have it. Stuff people don't even want. I can promise you there is a surplus of Rhulic jacks out there. No one wants Rhulic jacks, just me and maybe Steve D.

I do agree with the new releases being a problem but I wonder where the problem is. Is it producers in China for the plastics, is it PP not commissioning enough, is it the distributors thinking it's 5 years ago? I can tell you, it's not my local game store as they are the only ones who are straight up with me on the matter.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
Chase, to be fair, I won't mention other names here but do you think it could be a straight up distributor dropping the ball / being jerks here?

I'm not 100% sure.  Every time I talk to them on the phone I ask them when they expect a PIP restock.  They always give one of two answers.  They say:

1) Well the plastic kits get restocked a lot faster than the metals.  They sort of just roll in, a few different SKUs every couple weeks. (if this is the case it's never significant enough to make the "Recent Restocks" section of their daily emails)

2) I'm not exactly sure.

Since they are too lazy to ship it out from x warehouse even if it exists sounds like bad management on their part. If that's the case, it's more than just PP not producing enough to meet demand.

I hate that I know they have stuff I want and they won't send it to me.  The required order amounts and minimums from each warehouse are in place to protect them against having to pay to ship 1 blister across the country, I guess.  ACD is a lot better about this than Alliance, but it's still not great.

I have no idea what it costs them to ship things, but I'd love not to have to deal with the restrictions.

I am pretty certain that the models I have been waiting for (the lions share of a Rhulic faction) are available at online stores. I just find it distasteful to go that route. ;)

Oh definitely!  Some of the online stores have things most of the time, which is frustrating for obvious reasons.  :)

Recently there have been small discussions about taking our WM/H stuff online.  It would take up a relatively small amount of space and allow an opportunity to safely order a lot of product as it's released in an effort to not run out of it right away, which is what you're seeing these other guys do.  I'm betting they don't have stuff in stock because they reorder it from somewhere all the time, but because they ordered 50+ kits upon release and have 20 left over to get them through the 3+ months until they can order again.

Obviously we'd start "small time" and try to cater to the region (people that know about the stores) and try to become "the guys who always have what we want."  Host more events, offer event pickup, buy add space online, etc.  Who knows?

I do agree with the new releases being a problem but I wonder where the problem is. Is it producers in China for the plastics, is it PP not commissioning enough, is it the distributors thinking it's 5 years ago? I can tell you, it's not my local game store as they are the only ones who are straight up with me on the matter.

I think it's got to be a combination of all of these things.  Maybe the plants in China are just super, super backed up, maybe it's because the PP release schedule is "too saturated", maybe it's PP not making enough stuff for release (or evaluating growth properly), maybe it's the distributors not demanding more and more each time in an effort to play it safe in a poor economy, who knows?

I do try to be as transparent as possible with everything.  The late spring - early summer seems to come along with a boom in WM/H activity and interest.  I've got people asking me for models on a daily basis right now, and it's SUPER frustrating to check if I can order it and almost always have to tell them "no."

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
hmmm online warmachine, that would be great! I always prefer to buy in store for various reasons and like you said, im sure there would be a much larger WM crowd if people had easier access to the models. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how would an online WM/H store work? and what is stopping it from happening?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
It would work just like any other online store would work.

Both BG locations would have some product on the wall and then at the Abington location we'd end up with a small amount of "warehouse" space where we'd keep a stock that is our online inventory.

We currently sell Magic cards online.  We'd list the WM/H stuff in the exact same way and offer the same shipping options.

What's preventing it from happening?  Time and money, the same two things that prevent everything / anything from happening.  :)  There's also lots of other things that factor into it too, but I won't get into that stuff here.

If it happens it's unlikely to happen right away.

Neldar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
This is a service I would utilize when my local places are out of stock.

kialindo

• Live Life, Taste Death
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
I would use this service assuming a Pick Up in Store option was available to make sure I could get a model I wanted if I knew I was not gonna make it in for a couple of days.