Author Topic: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread  (Read 33195 times)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:02 AM »
lol, glad to see this conversation hasn't devolved into a name calling contest of those without super heavies using the term chessy and those with them to label the titan less whinners.

I think a fair choice may in fact be to allow only one super heavy for every player on a team.  That way 5 team memebers= 5 biggies.  That would kinda of make it even, because I am pretty sure there will be players on both sides that could field more and players on the teams that don't have any.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:01 AM »
I think a fair choice may in fact be to allow only one super heavy for every player on a team.  That way 5 team memebers= 5 biggies.  That would kinda of make it even, because I am pretty sure there will be players on both sides that could field more and players on the teams that don't have any.

I feel a bit singled out. :(
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 01:16:40 AM »
lol, glad to see this conversation hasn't devolved into a name calling contest of those without super heavies using the term chessy and those with them to label the titan less whinners.

Cheesy Pen 15's what now?

I agree with you in Theory Kevin, but when it comes to board layout that is where we will start to hit a snag.  The problem also becomes those who do NOT have the super heavy vs those that do.  Am I trying to scratch build something?  You bet I am but if I cant play it I will not be disappointed, modeling is half the fun.

Also it will be more like 10-12vs 10-12 again if not more.  Though I cant wait for you to bring out the rocket again, I have a surprise for it!

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

I feel a bit singled out. :(

You...?  never.  :P
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 02:54:39 AM »
it is a bit discouraging to face a superheavy when you dont have your own. But i have to say watching most of an army get thrown by Kevin's big Mek thingamajjiger was fun
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »
it is a bit discouraging to face a superheavy when you dont have your own. But i have to say watching most of an army get thrown by Kevin's big Mek thingamajjiger was fun

If I get my way, most Imperial forces will find a titan backing them up next megabattle.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
And if I get my way, Chaos will have a couple Titan Hunter Squadrons as well.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
I should throw everyone for a loop and buy/speed build/paint those Grey Knights I have been thinking about.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »
Then maybe this time we will have Grey KNights that come to fight Demons this time not necrons :P

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
/\/\/\/\/\ EDIT:  OH SNAP!

Original post:
Ok, no one have a heart attack. The guardian of the skull throne, the lord of the bloodthirsters will be making an appearance.  I was just kidding.

On the topic of superheavies.

This is apocalypse, not combat patrol.  Let's not be sissies but at the same time, let's all show we are not compensating for other areas we lack.

One way to outline it-
Different tiers of superheavies.  Not all superheavies are created equal.
Malacadors, Macharius, Brass scorpions are lesser superheavies and cannot compete against a Reaver Titan.  

I saw a pretty good list written up which I will borrow and post up here in a bit.

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
im gonna bring alot of superheavies this time, provided im on chaos again (using orks) but if all the imperials switching over make the imperial side down a lot, im gonna have to go imperial. regardless, the imperial side will have alot of superheavy backup. a know more than one baneblade with be there, rob will have at least 4 or 5 titans, most likely a warlord by then. if the teams are balanced on superheavies, player by player balance is irrelevant.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
It was chaos that was lacking in players last game.  The few coming over to the disorder side shouldn't tip the boat so much.

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:36 PM »
My opinion on superheavies would be that if you can justify bringing them then go ahead. None of the, I have 2 tanks so i think i should bring a baneblade BS. Or, my small marine scout for decided to join up with a titan... Yes its fun to have big stuff, but when the big stuff is the majority of what you have then it's not so fun and pretty lame for everyone else, and doesnt make much sense. Games that take into account fluff and theme are so much more enjoyable and cool.

Also as cool as superheavies are there are so many more vehicles/tanks/monstrous creatures/models, etc... that are not superheavies and just as cool if not cooler than most superheavies, people should take a look through the Imperial Armour books.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:33 PM »
If I could field an armored company of all the strange FW variant Leman Russes, I would in a heartbeat without superheavies (except maybe a Stormsword).

Buuuut, I can't.  So I'm hoping we can come to some sort of agreement over superheavies that let's me use my titan legion. =] After how, how uncool would it be to not use it?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »
Rob, you have 6 months to do it.  Make that excuse 5 months from now.  :P

I agree with Dave's sentiment about the fluff requirements for superheavies and I don't think there were any real eggregious violations of fluff last time- save for the redeemer force going after the necrons.  ;)