Author Topic: ARCANE LEGIONS - from Wells Expeditions, the founders of WizKids  (Read 2162 times)

Madshadow

• Arcane Legions
    • Email

Hello,

My name is Mark Chase and I worked at WotC for 5+ years on Magic the Gathering and Duelmasters (Japan). I recently started working with some old friends, the original founders of WizKids.

Their new company is called Wells Expeditions, and their first major release is called Arcane Legions. It will be on store shelves (including Battle Ground- I'm sure) in September.

Arcane Legions is a collectable mass-action miniatures game that allows players to simulate large scale combat with fast game play, customized units and intuitive mechanics in a mysterious alternate history.

I’ve joined your forum not to spam you with an ad for our new game, but to let you get a first look at it, and to actively participate in your group, answering any questions you might have. If there is interest here I will share news, photos, and anything else worth seeing as it becomes available.

One thing I want to make clear is that Wells Expeditions is not looking to convert the existing miniature players. We are looking to increase the miniature player base by producing a product and play experience that is more suitable to the masses addressing costs, ease of play, and time commitments. We anticipate the bulk of our player base to be casual, all around, hobby gamers.

From a press release:

Arcane Legions is an all new game system for 2-6 players with easy to understand rules and fast-paced, engaging game play.  Field massive armies, command hundreds of figures, and win epic scale battles in under two hours.  The unique formation base system of Arcane Legions allows you to easily control your armies in discreet units.  By placing figures into specific formation positions, you select the unit’s combat capabilities.  As a unit takes damage, figures are removed from the base, reducing the capabilities of the unit.  With Arcane Legions there is no need for cumbersome tape measurements or any bookkeeping.  Movement and combat is fast and deadly, using an abstracted movement system and a simple dice-off combat mechanic.

For the first time ever in a collectable game, players are able to design their own tournament-legal game elements.  As a member of the online ‘Centurion Club’, you can create custom base units by selecting figures for the unit and designing the base card, all the while calculating the unit’s point total in real time.  Custom base cards are stored in an online database under a unique serial number and can be printed out and used in all Arcane Legions games.  The database can be accessed from any web browser (including iPhones) to check the authenticity of any custom card.

Most collectable games are expensive because you end up buying figures you don’t want or care about.  Arcane Legions offers separate products for each faction so that you can choose to purchase only the faction(s) you are interested in.  All the common figures have been removed from Booster Packs and are sold separately so that you don’t end up purchasing the same figures time after time, and the sets were designed small, so that by purchasing only eight Booster Packs you are guaranteed to get all the figures in any given faction.

Completing your collection has never been easier, or less expensive.  The Starter Pack offers 110+ plus figures, rules, dice, bases, and base cards… everything needed for a two player game for only $35!

We were at the GAMA Trade Show a couple weeks ago in Las Vegas showing a prototype version of the game to retailers and distributors, and everyone who looked at it was impressed with the detail of the figures (true 25mm), the game mechanics and movement tool, the tournament legal customizing, and the price. Many people have told us it was the best new game at the show.

We'll be at Origins next month where players will get their first chance to play the game, and we'll have it ready for the public by GenCon in August.

You can get more information at www.arcanelegions.com,
and at our Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75699686635&ref=mf.

These photos are of prototypes we had at GTS, the final figs will all be pre-painted, except the common scubs which will have color tempo prints on shields and banners.

Arcane Legions is a great playing game. It’s easy to learn but has all the depth of strategy required by the most sophisticated gamers. It will be getting a lot of attention in the next few months - for good reason!

Take a minute to check it out, and join our Facebook group if you like.

I'm really curious what everyone at Battle Ground Games thinks of it, and will be happy to answer any questions - either on here, or on the Facebook page.

Thank you for allowing me to join your forum and share Arcane Legions with you.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:51:42 PM by Madshadow »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: ARCANE LEGIONS - from Wells Expeditions, the founders of WizKids
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:09 AM »
This seems interesting...

The idea to allow players to create custom anything seems cool... but how do you intend to keep the game balanced properly?  Do you plan to use a formula? (this is something Wizkids has had problems with in the past)  Any idea what the subscription fee will look like?  It seems like I will not be able to customize my units unless I have a subscription to the Centurion Club.

The theme is in line with what a lot of our casual gamers are interested in.  September, huh?  Interesting indeed...

:)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:46:35 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Madshadow

• Arcane Legions
    • Email
Re: ARCANE LEGIONS - from Wells Expeditions, the founders of WizKids
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
Hey Chase,

When a player creates a custom base card online he can assign any special attributes to it that he wants to.  Using essentialy the same engine that we use to balance the cards he can get as tricky or as crazy as he likes, but everything comes with a cost...

It will cost $3 a month to be a member of the Centurion Club. Among other benefits, membership will allow you to create as many custom cards as you like. There will be a virtual library of all the available characters that you can pull from and add to bases, watching the point totals adjust with the addition of every character / ability. You will also be able to keep track of all your own figures online. Among other benefits will be the opportunity members have to purchase larger limited edition premium playable resin figures. These will come out one per month, rotating through the factions. So there will be three per faction available per year at $30 each (Mercenaries count as their own faction).