Author Topic: Ard Boyz this year?  (Read 8732 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Ard Boyz this year?
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
Hey,

I saw a recent post on DakkaDakka that there is going to be a Ard Boyz on July the 11th. Any one else heard this?

I got a title to hold as the first NE champ  ;D
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Ard Boyz this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
We did run it last year.  I haven't heard anything about it this year though...  It's certainly something to look in to.

Thanks, Jeff.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
What is Ard Boyz?
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
What is Ard Boyz?

Cheese fest.  It's fun though.  It's where everyone breaks out stupidly powerful lists from their codecies and hold nothing back.  Of course Lee just plays his normal broken form of Death Guard.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
So July 11 is the date they're kicking around.  Are we running one at BG again?

It should be fun :)
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
Guard players will have a pretty awesome time with this.
beep bop boop

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
I'm thinking Guard, Daemons, and Orks will be big!
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Ill never touch an Ard Boys with a 6 foot pole unless some one bribes me or something. Mainly it drasticly alters the way the game is traditionaly played in tournaments. Sportsmanship and painting are no longer factors since its all about the wins.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »
Ill never touch an Ard Boys with a 6 foot pole unless some one bribes me or something. Mainly it drasticly alters the way the game is traditionaly played in tournaments. Sportsmanship and painting are no longer factors since its all about the wins.

But that's the point.  You're saying the aspect you don't like of a tournament where it's all about exploiting rules and having the most powerful army is when people exploit rules and create the most powerful army?
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
Ard Boyz is not for everyone. I had a blast when I played in it.

I am a big supporter of Comp in tournament's it is what my group has always been about. What I mean by comp is the old school comp system. This was basically (it was more complex ) a well rounded force with more troops than anything else and a % retriction on wargear. Things have changed and you have to role with the punch's.

I don't have any problems with tournaments I play in because I check what they are all about before I go into them. Not every style of tourney is for everyone, the one I don't like I don't go to (havn't found one yet!)

I had a blast at the Ard Boyz because I knew what the tourney was about and what to expect and had a great time seeing some of the combo's that were used. If I saw some of those combo's in a regular tourney I might have said something to the person, but because it was no hold's bar it was acceptable. Also its hard not to at least try in a tourney where in the second round you get a free 2500 pts army if you win!

Basically tourney's are not for everyone, which is the great thing about the game!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:52:10 AM by jhobin »

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
I have to agree with Rob on this one Steve.  One of the hardest things to cope with in a tournament is sportsmanship.  I mean really I know everyone tries to be fair on grading but if you just got stomped by a guy round two tell me that allows you to be objective when you grade him on sportsmanship, the flip side of that is people just giving every opponent a good sportsmanship score.  Making it very hard to be fair in that category.

I kinda like that ard boyz is about the carnage.  I wouldn't want every tourney to be like that but then again if every tournament was a doubles or something like that we would get bored.  Its just fun to try something new,

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 04:18:02 PM »
I am a big supporter of Comp in tournament's it is what my group has always been about. What I mean by comp is the old school comp system. This was basically (it was more complex ) a well rounded force with more troops than anything else and a % restriction on wargear. Things have changed and you have to role with the punch's.

I was a big fan of comp in the early V3 days.  Today, it is easier to target the independent characters, there are fewer exotic combinations of wargear that get unbalanced, and the rules are generally better in terms of maintaining game balance.

But I still like to see a troop heavy force on the table.  I'd like the rules and codices to be set up so a well rounded collection of basic models is competitive.  Exotics should make the game more fun, but not be required to clobber the enemy.

But then, I'm not an Ard Boyz sort of player.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
I guess im just not a fan. I personaly can be objective when playing some one that kicks my ass. It all depends if my face is shoved in it or not  how they ract to rule calls, and were they blatently abusing the rules of their army. Thats how I rule sportsmanship. Not if I won not if I lost.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
What are the rules for an Ard Boyz tournament?
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
if memory serves me all you have to do is have minimum standard force org filled. Points can vary. I also beleive painting is not even a requirement so you just show up with a list, army and your own codex and play.