Author Topic: Condititions... murky but clearing.  (Read 3322 times)

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Condititions... murky but clearing.
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
Im wondering If I have been forgotten in the shuffle...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:51:25 AM by Sam Butler »

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Re: Where am I showing up? or is it another week to wait?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Just got this message from Nick.
"Sam, we have not heard from you for a couple of turns. We assumed that you gave up because we never heard or saw you for a long time. "

I will begin by saying I am feeling extremely confused, and frustrated by the experience of trying to take part in this campaign.  The consistent communications and logistical errors have serously drained the potential fun from the experience for me.

the Last week I was in   (Week 6)   I had an aproximately 20 minute discussion with nick about my options...  I had enough points in the bank to either spawn a space port...  then wait a week...   spawn a 2000pt army...    then send it to wherever...  then wait...   the best seeming option was to abandon the planet and try to orbitally insert somewhere else.

I asked to use as my target point the undefended generator on volcanis.

Until I knew where I was going to show up/ and had sucessfully taken a tile My understanding was I COULD NOT BUILD ANYTHING.

As I was in Limbo regarding reappearing, I did not submit any "orders"  as to my understanding I could not order anything done...

Then after two weeks had passed I made the OP here.   I then received what felt to me as a dismissive and insulting pm that seemed to me to convey the message of "oh I figured you didn't matter, and YOU quit."

At this point I am very unhappy.  I am not responding to the PM by PM because I wish to be utterly clear and inform everyone at the same time. I DID NOT INTEND TO GIVE UP ON PARTICIPATING IN THE CAMPAIGN AT ANY POINT.   At this time given the near total coverage of the campaign map  I see VERY little chance of me gaining a viable foot hold anywhere,  but I am still willing to try.

If in the opinion of whoever is running this thing at this point  I would be unwelcome to be involved Please arrange a refund of my money, either in the form of store credit or otherwise.   also if that option is taken I will in all likely hood actively avoid participation in any further organized play endeavors ostensibly administered by the same staff as this campaign, and will need to seriously consider taking part in any other BG organized events given how poorly I feel I have been treated. 

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: SITUATION (CLUSTER MESS)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
Sam,

We are very concerned that you feel as though you've been mistreated. That is absolutely not the intention of the e-mail you received. Having seen more than my share of leagues over the past ten years, I can assure you that it's not uncommon for people to cease participation in these types of events without notice. I myself had figured you must have lost interest since I hadn't seen any participation on the  Storms & Shadows boards since around August 12th. Granted, I haven't been involved with any in-store moves or activity, but from an outside observer, I also thought you had lost interest. The intention of the pm was not intended to be dismissive or insulting, but I think rather of surprise. You are, of course, still encouraged to participate as much as you want and/or can!

I hear what you are saying about the league being on the confusing side, and that it requires a great deal of information sharing. We tried to make that clear going in. We've had some difficult logistic problems on our end from time to time as we tried to get information to people in a timely manner, while at the same time trying to accommodate late turn submissions, incomplete or inaccurate submissions, and other unforeseen complications.

People have asked for a more complex league for some time. This is our first attempt at one. I think we've learned quite a bit and are open to suggestions for the future.

If you still feel for any reason that the league has not met your expectations and that you haven't derived any enjoyment from it, please see me at some point at the store and I will refund your money. Hopefully, you do not feel the need to hold the organizational difficulties posed of running a league of this nature, and dealing with competing opinions and schedules, against Battleground as a whole. I've known you for quite some time now and you have to know that customer satisfaction is something that Battleground takes very, very seriously.

Sincerely,
Derek
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:51:36 PM by Battleground »
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
I myse.f have been experiencing problems. I forgot to submit a turn sheet because of my hectic personal life schedule and have been over looked. I guess I'm going to officially drop so I don't have to keep track any more.

Also I think this campaign was way to complicated for an individual to keep track of everything one can do. I have one square left with a lousy 2k points. There is no point in continuing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:20:55 PM by Grand Master Steve »

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
Campaigns, by their very definition, require lots of committed, personal attention on the part of every player. I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who participated most have a more positive view of the event.

Something "less complicated" is basically a standard league. This was always intended to be something more than that.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I have to disagree based on the map campaign I participated in the old store. It was not as involved as this. If I knew going n what I know now I probably wouldn't have singed up and saved a headache for every involved party.

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Sam,

We are very concerned that you feel as though you've been mistreated. That is absolutely not the intention of the e-mail you received. Having seen more than my share of leagues over the past ten years, I can assure you that it's not uncommon for people to cease participation in these types of events without notice. I myself had figured you must have lost interest since I hadn't seen any participation on the  Storms & Shadows boards since around August 12th. Granted, I haven't been involved with any in-store moves or activity, but from an outside observer, I also thought you had lost interest. The intention of the pm was not intended to be dismissive or insulting, but I think rather of surprise. You are, of course, still encouraged to participate as much as you want and/or can!

I hear what you are saying about the league being on the confusing side, and that it requires a great deal of information sharing. We tried to make that clear going in. We've had some difficult logistic problems on our end from time to time as we tried to get information to people in a timely manner, while at the same time trying to accommodate late turn submissions, incomplete or inaccurate submissions, and other unforeseen complications.

People have asked for a more complex league for some time. This is our first attempt at one. I think we've learned quite a bit and are open to suggestions for the future.

If you still feel for any reason that the league has not met your expectations and that you haven't derived any enjoyment from it, please see me at some point at the store and I will refund your money. Hopefully, you do not feel the need to hold the organizational difficulties posed of running a league of this nature, and dealing with competing opinions and schedules, against Battleground as a whole. I've known you for quite some time now and you have to know that customer satisfaction is something that Battleground takes very, very seriously.

Sincerely,
Derek

Thank you for your Responsiveness D.

I  would love to continue with the campaign,   I just don't understand how to do so at the moment  (specifically what "orders"  I would need to submit to do so.)   I really do appreciate the massive  amount of effort being spent by multiple people to deal with the overall logistics, and complexities of this campaign in addition to running a thriving retail establishment. 

I have had "fun"  in my the part of the campaign so far.  Lots of very bad games (My dice hate me...)  with awesome players... (no seriously the guys I've played as part of the campaign are wicked cool dudes,   heck one of em helped me come to the realization of WHY 40k in general had started to drag for me.) so overall its been an enjoyable exercise.

As you may know I live north of Boston, otherwise I would absolutely be in one or both BG locations very frequently.  As it is, it takes me on average 1.25 hrs minimum each way to reach either location from my home  making "casual"  drop ins somewhat problematic.

As I stated in my above post,   I had expected to show up with a small fleet or army or some such reinserting on Volcanis sometime after I "withdrew"  from my initial planetary position.  After the maximum "interplanetary travel time"  stated in the campaign rules (to the best of my knowledge) I put up the have I been missed post.

I wish I had been asked if I was "quitting"  as opposed to being assumed to have chosen to stop participating without giving any notice.  I as a person would find that kind of behavior inconsiderate at best and down right rude and discourteous at worst.  You know me fairly well, and I absolutely hate quitting.

I had not posted anything on any of the threads on account of not having a reason to do so. (no armies anywhere to fight anybody = no games to set up)  As far as I was aware in order to spawn any new armies I would be required to hold at least a single tile,  which I at the moment do not.

So blank slate...

To sum up I have only one question.

What do I need to do to continue as part of this campaign?

I myself have been experiencing problems, I forgot to submit a turn sheet because of my hectic personal life schedule and have been over looked. I guess I'm going to officially drop so I don't have to keep track any more.

Also I think this campaign was way to complicated for an individual to keep track of everything one can do. I have one square left with a lousy 2k points. There is no point in continuing.

Steve...   Please do not quit the campaign,   You haven't even had the chance to curb stomp me yet. :D

Or   If I may   IF you truly wish to bow out, Let me at least play you in a game first.

Grand Master Steve

Re: Condititions... murky but clearing.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
Alright alright i wont quit if you dont

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »
Alright alright i wont quit if you dont

That's the spirit!   we can both merrily fail together!  :D

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »
fair  enough! will go down in a blaze of glory

Nick Hough

• Heroic Tier Level 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
Hi Sam, happy to see you are staying it! What you need to do is remind me of what you have for forces, unfortunately we did take them down. They were last in space waiting for a destination. Please give me your destinations for them.

You also have a bank of 5200 points to spend. Tell me what you want to build and that part will happen on Sunday, given it is possible based on where you land. 

You could land on the tile that Steve D. is on. If it is ok with Steve, you can guys could play a game this week? I think that could be fun for you two. Up to you guys. Just let me know!
“There are no men like me. There's only me. - The Kingslayer”

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »
Hi Sam, happy to see you are staying it! What you need to do is remind me of what you have for forces, unfortunately we did take them down. They were last in space waiting for a destination. Please give me your destinations for them.

You also have a bank of 5200 points to spend. Tell me what you want to build and that part will happen on Sunday, given it is possible based on where you land. 

You could land on the tile that Steve D. is on. If it is ok with Steve, you can guys could play a game this week? I think that could be fun for you two. Up to you guys. Just let me know!

That could work.   I'll have to look back to week 5 or 6 to see what I had...  I do not think there was much...