Author Topic: Farsight supplement questions  (Read 2612 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Farsight supplement questions
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
So i picked up the hardcover and right off the bat it's a bit different from the digital version as the digital has actual point values and rules (as seen here)

The hardcover book doesnt have this, it just tells you what each member of "the 8" has for wargear and makes you price it out on your own. I've heard 1 or 2 of "the 8" are actually cheaper than they should be wargear wise in the digital codex but i haven't gotten around to doing the math.

My main question is as seen in the digital version Farsight still has his old warlord trait, and since the hardcover version makes you use his entry in the Tau codex that means he has his old warlord trait in that as well.

But taking a Farsight detachment has a new list of warlord traits you have to use, so my question is...

A: does he get his old warlord trait AND a new one if the Farsight Supplement is your primary and he's your warlord?

B: does he use his old warlord trait?

C: does he roll for a new warlord trait in the supplement book?

an article in 3++ seems to think he gets 2 warlord traits

http://www.3plusplus.net/2013/07/farsight-enclave-tau-supplement/

but i'm interested to see if anyone ran into this at NOVA, or had any thoughts on this subject.

I don't want to plan my stratgey around one plan only to get to a tournament and find out i'm cheating

thanks in advance

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
Re: Farsight supplement questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
There is a FAQ for the book...sadly it does nothing to address the Warlord Traits question.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3520198a_Farsight_Enclaves_v1.0_OCTOBER13.pdf

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
There is a FAQ for the book...sadly it does nothing to address the Warlord Traits question.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3520198a_Farsight_Enclaves_v1.0_OCTOBER13.pdf

yah i saw that yesterday, completely worthless FAQ and i've no idea what the 5 blank pages that say blood angels attached to the bottom of it are about lol

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Farsight uses the warlord trait from the main tau book.  Same as the 8 use signature systems from the main tau book.  They're all just from an older time. 

All of the 8 I cost-checked had the exact cost as the individual components.  (I only checked 3 or so, including O'Vesa) They should cost less, as most of their armaments are fairly inefficient combos, but they don't as far as I can tell.  Shame that the printed book doesn't list the total cost....that's just make work with no purpose.  Are you sure it's not somewhere else in the book? 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
All of the 8 I cost-checked had the exact cost as the individual components.  (I only checked 3 or so, including O'Vesa) They should cost less, as most of their armaments are fairly inefficient combos, but they don't as far as I can tell.  Shame that the printed book doesn't list the total cost....that's just make work with no purpose.  Are you sure it's not somewhere else in the book?

i've read it cover to cover, there's exactly one page that has any point values on it and it's the page that has the Farsight supplement signature systems on it

Farsight uses the warlord trait from the main tau book.  Same as the 8 use signature systems from the main tau book.  They're all just from an older time. 

True some of the 8 use signature systems from the main Tau codex but others use signature systems from the supplement (ie O'vesa has Earth Caste Pilot Array, and Brightsword has Warscaper Drone)

That raises another question though,

from the FAQ
“When choosing a Farsight Enclaves army with Commander Farsight as its Warlord, you may take Farsight’s Commander Team instead of Farsight's XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team. The Commander Team is an HQ choice that does not take up a Force Organisation slot and consists of up to seven battlesuits chosen from those listed on pages 38-39. They must be equipped exactly as described; the Signature Systems rule above does not apply to them. They can take no other options. Each of the Commander Team models is Unique and has the Independent Character special rule.”

I take this to mean you can have multiples of the same signature system? (ie you have O'vesa with an earth caste pilot array and a generic Riptide with the same?)

As much as i would like Farsight to have 2 warlord traits i doubt that's the rule as intended, and with that half ass faq from GW i doubt we will get an answer any time soon.

But since it says "a farsight enclaves warlord can either roll on the warlord traits table in the BRB or on the table below" I'm Just wondering how NOVA, FOB, DaBoyz or Templecon has/is planning to rule on this
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:41:29 PM by PhoenixFire »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
SCs don't roll for Warlord traits atll.  I think that Farsight uses his same trait from the Main Tau book is pretty iron-tight.

from the FAQ
“When choosing a Farsight Enclaves army with Commander Farsight as its Warlord, you may take Farsight’s Commander Team instead of Farsight's XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team. The Commander Team is an HQ choice that does not take up a Force Organisation slot and consists of up to seven battlesuits chosen from those listed on pages 38-39. They must be equipped exactly as described; the Signature Systems rule above does not apply to them. They can take no other options. Each of the Commander Team models is Unique and has the Independent Character special rule.”

I take this to mean you can have multiples of the same signature system? (ie you have O'vesa with an earth caste pilot array and a generic Riptide with the same?)

THAT is the main question people are wondering about, and it was a question ever since the digital copy came out.  Everything else is pretty clear.  As far as I can tell, the FAQ didn't actually clarify anything.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
SCs don't roll for Warlord traits atll.  I think that Farsight uses his same trait from the Main Tau book is pretty iron-tight.

from the FAQ

THAT is the main question people are wondering about, and it was a question ever since the digital copy came out.  Everything else is pretty clear.  As far as I can tell, the FAQ didn't actually clarify anything.

Yah, pretty much all the FAQ did is spell out that you need Farsight as your warlord to have access to "the 8". i wonder how that major GTs have been handling the signature system thing...

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
NOVA ruled that you could have one of a signature system "per detachment" so you could have a farsight commnader, then an SC from the farsight detach that had it as well.

Personally, I don't think that's right.  You get one per army, that's it. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
"they must be equipped exactly as described; the Signature Systems rule above does not apply to them"

What does the Signature Systems rule say?
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
Any character in your army that may select Signature Systems may not select from those
listed in Codex: Tau Empire, but may instead select from the Signature Systems of the
Farsight Enclaves (opposite), at the points cost shown.

That.  Please note it DOESN'T say the signature systems rule from the main Tau book doesn't apply.

Smartass. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:12 AM »
Any character in your army that may select Signature Systems may not select from those
listed in Codex: Tau Empire, but may instead select from the Signature Systems of the
Farsight Enclaves (opposite), at the points cost shown.

That.  Please note it DOESN'T say the signature systems rule from the main Tau book doesn't apply.

Smartass.

So if that's the rule, then that's the one that doesn't apply.  It says nothing about removing the one per army restriction.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

steelforge

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
Bennet: "Please note it DOESN'T say the signature systems rule from the main Tau book doesn't apply."

Where does it say that it applies?  It's rather easy to find things texts don't say.

"Any character in your army that may select Signature Systems may not select from those listed in Codex: Tau Empire. but may instead select from the Signature Systems of the Farsight Enclaves, at the points cost shown.  Not that XV104 Riptides in your army may select items from the Signature System of the Farsight Enclaves."

So take your Pen-Commander from the Tau book and buy Farsight to get his Pen-enabled Bodyguard.

Super expensive for two Pen-systems but legal according to the rules, unless you'd like to cite actual written rules.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Bennet: "Please note it DOESN'T say the signature systems rule from the main Tau book doesn't apply."

Where does it say that it applies?  It's rather easy to find things texts don't say.

"Any character in your army that may select Signature Systems may not select from those listed in Codex: Tau Empire. but may instead select from the Signature Systems of the Farsight Enclaves, at the points cost shown.  Not that XV104 Riptides in your army may select items from the Signature System of the Farsight Enclaves."

So take your Pen-Commander from the Tau book and buy Farsight to get his Pen-enabled Bodyguard.

Super expensive for two Pen-systems but legal according to the rules, unless you'd like to cite actual written rules.

Still does not specifically override the one per army rule.  This is like saying I can take an Iron Hands Chapter Master with the Shield Eternal, a White Scars ally with the Shield Eternal and since both are "Chapter Relics" and I have different "Chapters" I can have two, although it specifically says "one per galaxy".

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

I have no idea who you are, so it's weird for you to use my real name, but if you are going to do so, please spell it correctly: "Bennett".  "Bennet" is some frenchie weird frenchie name.  Also, I usually go by Matt. 

Anyway, what Jared said.