Author Topic: [Plainville MA] "ARMOR WAR" 1250pt 40k Tournament - 10/26  (Read 9840 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] "ARMOR WAR" 1250pt 40k Tournament - 10/26
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
We're talking about ruins, here, which are none of those things. 

Tharcil

« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Fun event + nitpicking before and after the fact, about lots of details = missing the point?

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
Guys, guys... I think I know what everyone is trying to say here. We need to build and outer-space helicopter.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »
The missions were posted earlier in this thread.  There was no mention of where and how to place objectives / other things other than what you can see there.

If people asked Sam about what was okay and he gave an answer, I think going with that was probably the reasonable and right choice.

The real issue is people no-call, no-showing.  I guess I don't quite understand why someone would email me to register, then email me their list the week of the event, and then no-call, no-show.

TONS of people drop from every 40k event we do.  It's life and it's totally fine.  A lot of the time I'm adding and dropping people the night before the event.  It's just a total bummer when we plan to have an odd or even number of people and then it changes, without anyone knowing, that morning.

For this event I got in touch with the guy who had the round one bye and told him he didn't need to be here until 1230.  He was fine with that.  Unfortunately, someone still got hosed....  And it was a new'ish player too.  LAME.

There are pros and cons with having a ringer.  I won't get into them here.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »
Results:

Here's a look the winning lists from this weekend.

Nate's Blood Angels

Matt's Space Marines

James' Space Marines
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:11:24 PM by Chase »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Awesome things to see:

Land Raiders in the top 2 lists.

Dev Centurions in the 3rd place list.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »
It's actually really nice to see Blood Angels doing well again, I hope it wasn't JUST because of mephiston, maybe Nate can tell the tale.

I really liked this tournament, it allowed people to have fun with models they might not have used for a while.  I'm not exactly a comp sorta guy, but....let's face it, the meta has become a bit monoculture lately, so much so that my Tau are divergent just because they don't have 2+ riptides or 3 Missile squads.

Maybe we could have more tournaments with fairly random restrictions (well, cinematic and thematic, but game mechanically I think they will be random)?  Just to shake things up, have people bring lists they wouldn't otherise.  I'm think less comp and more "list turbulence".

Like I said, I really liked it, but I did have one criticism -- I think it was a mistake that First Blood was not present in these scenarios at all.  Yes, I understand people don't like it, but it's about the math.  I heard that something like 86% of wins at NOVA were people who went second (I could very well be misremembering, but anyway, it was high).  I'd argue that was probably because first blood was minimized as much as it was.  Basically, first blood counters both the fact that most missions are objectives, so it's better to go second.  I understand why people don't think it's fun....that doesn't keep it from being good for game balance. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
A space helicopter is impossible, but we do need an island of wayward kitties.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
I do expect some future flavor-driven tournaments like this, with some very basic comp-style limitations. It doesn't matter where the idea comes from, but if either Chase, Sam or I like it, it'll get the old college try.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »
I do expect some future flavor-driven tournaments like this, with some very basic comp-style limitations. It doesn't matter where the idea comes from, but if either Chase, Sam or I like it, it'll get the old college try.

i loved the idea of the tournament and wish i hadn't been working. Hopefully if BG does another one of these in the future they can pull in more than 14 people

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
I figured we'd get somewhere in the 15 player range.

I'm told that at least a few of the Thursday guys would have liked to play but couldn't make it for whatever reason.

Chances are good that we'll do it again.

Nate278

« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
Thanks Bill!

Mephiston did help a lot in the tournament, but I would say the biggest thing for me was using my two assault squads in reserves and deep-striking them down on the targets that could actually hurt my Landraider. The Landraider in all three games only lost two hull points in total, so that I would say is a big reason. But Mephiston drew most of the fire and survived all but one game with full wounds left.