Author Topic: [Abington + Plainville] Halloween MONSTER MASH - 10/31  (Read 7269 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: [Abington + Plainville] Halloween MONSTER MASH - 10/31
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:34 AM »
Wait, FMCs aren't MCs?  Huh?  :o  (serious)

Unless they're somehow not MCs, they're legal.  I might be very wrong, but if they remain airborn their ability to kill stuff is greatly reduced, right?  These events are almost entirely about killing things, although this one does penalize dying all the time.

Technically, no they aren't MCs, cuz they have their own entry in the "unit types" sections, same way as bikes aren't infantry.  "Jump" and "jetpack" are modifiers to other unit types, but "bikes" and "FLying Monstrous Creatures" are their own thing.  So for instance, you can have jump infantry, and you can have both Jump MCs and Jepack MCs (Riptides) which are MCs, but FMCs are not MCs any more than bikes are.  Again, technically.

Classic RAW vs RAI, you can only assume that if it came up in a FAQ whether Jaws of the WOrld WOlf affected non-swooping FMCs, they'd say they would, but atm, if you follow RAW, it doesn't.

Anyway, no, Chase, I don't think remaining airborne reduces a FMCs ability to kill stuff much, at least not if they brought their guns.  Arguably, they can do more dmg with Vector Strike.  Now, they have to come down to charge a unit, but then you have the problem that they can charge who THEY want, WHEN they want, but no one can charge them first.

I don't think I'll attend this event, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think if you allowed FMCs it would be very, very unbalancing.  I get that it's not really supposed to be that balanced an event to start with, but there just wouldn't be any point in playing a non-FMC. 

That said, a lot of the cooler "MCs" are FMCs, like the bloodthirster, so I'd probably just let people play FMCs as jump MCs.  Then they'd still have a pretty big movement advantage, but they wouldn't just be untouchable the way actually Flying would make them. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 02:32:37 AM »
Oh man...  It's never easy.   :-\

I didn't realize the F in FMC was an official thing.  I suppose I view it as something similar to "Tank" and "Armored Tank."

Anyhow, I do like the suggestion to treat all FMCs as Jump MCs.  Are there problems there that aren't obvious?

I know it makes me look completely retarded to post an event that's very much incomplete, so thanks everyone for making suggestions.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
Oh man...  It's never easy.   :-\

I didn't realize the F in FMC was an official thing.  I suppose I view it as something similar to "Tank" and "Armored Tank."

Anyhow, I do like the suggestion to treat all FMCs as Jump MCs.  Are there problems there that aren't obvious?

I know it makes me look completely retarded to post an event that's very much incomplete, so thanks everyone for making suggestions.

I think that's fine.  This is supposed to be a goofy-ass roll dice and see what happens kind of thing.  And I'm bringing the goofiest-assiest-roll-diceist thing I can think of.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
Daemon Prince + Black Mace + multiple unit assault = hilarity

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Daemon Prince + Black Mace + multiple unit assault = hilarity

What's really hilarious is when other monsters smash and double him out :)

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
Iron Arm FTW

andalucien

• God
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Watch out guys, I'm bringing a Tomb Spyder.

With a repair claw.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
Watch out guys, I'm bringing a Tomb Spyder.

With a repair claw.

My. God.
beep bop boop

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »
I was thinking about this Flying MC thing a bit, and I'm going to spitball the options as I see them.

1) Do nothing. Rules are rules, and GW clearly intended the game to support this type of event.

or

2) No flying MCs.

or

3) Flying MCs can assault enemy Flying MCs if both units are in the air. Flying MCs in the air cannot assault ground units, and vice versa.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
I was thinking about this Flying MC thing a bit, and I'm going to spitball the options as I see them.

1) Do nothing. Rules are rules, and GW clearly intended the game to support this type of event.

or

2) No flying MCs.

or

3) Flying MCs can assault enemy Flying MCs if both units are in the air. Flying MCs in the air cannot assault ground units, and vice versa.

i won't be there so i don't have a dog in this fight (woof) but my opinion is rules are rules, just let anything in.

Whats a flying MC going to do? get a vector strike in at unmodified str? more mobility sure, but they need to land if they want to assault anything

Dreadknights will be jump MCs and able to get some extra movement and a once per game teleport

Riptides will be jumping away from assaults after shooting

you take one card out and the whole house of cards collapses, just let everybody bring whatever and see what happens

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
Jason's in for Option 1. :)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
I am in for option 1 otherwise I won't be able to play.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
this gives me the perfect excuse to model a deamon prince I have been wanting to do for a while. I want to make a model based off Baren Harkonen from Dune. Question has always been on my mind though. Which chaos god? I mean with his eating babbies and want of beuty, thats Slaneesh, his bloated and disgusting form, Nurgle, His Rage, Khorne

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »
this gives me the perfect excuse to model a deamon prince I have been wanting to do for a while. I want to make a model based off Baren Harkonen from Dune. Question has always been on my mind though. Which chaos god? I mean with his eating babbies and want of beuty, thats Slaneesh, his bloated and disgusting form, Nurgle, His Rage, Khorne

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malal

DO IT.  YOU WONT DO IT.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
I vote Option 1. That being said; I am bringing my flying hive tyrant no matter what because I never get to use him and I want to make alien screeching noises (you have been warned)!