Author Topic: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh  (Read 17005 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
Hell of a middle finger to brick and mortars.
beep bop boop

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »
I don't know how the GW guys figure out their strategy here.  It seems like everyone who has already bought a sisters army probably will have already bought the digital codex.  After all, you've sunk $1000 or so into a set of models, and now you just have to pay $30 to be able to play with them again.  No brainer.

So then, who's going to buy a paper re-release of the same codex?   Without a model release, it's certainly not going to attract any NEW sisters players...  I don't get it.

Man, I never understand anything about GW business practices.  I'm sure they have people with business degrees there....just don't see it.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
"So I have been told this will be a codex written to be a battle brother army to the Imperium, meaning yes, it will take up your allies slot. So if you were a little panicked, that Inquisitors would be able to join any allied forces, and still allow for an allies slot, this bit may calm that down.

So what about the Forgeworld Chapter Tactics that we have been looking at (Red Hunters)? It will be updated.

Please remember that these are rumors: A huge thanks to this source in particular, since its so easy for us to get all hyped and misdirected about how this supplement will work.

They were written as "battle brother allies" in witch hunters and grey knights before the allies rules were actually implemented an edition later. Now they'll play that way, requiring a troop etc 

The difference now though is that the troop choice can be the retinue, full of fun stuff, or the retinue can be an HQ choice without taking a slot so that you can take storm troopers. 

It's not a full codex in a sense, you'll find fast attack and heavy support a little light on options. 

It's the first of what will be ally intended codexes which as I explained about a year ago can stand alone, but not with the same breadth as other armies. 

Also, immediately afterward we'll be seeing the Forgeworld forces of the space marines and inquisition to update all those rules as well."
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Not sure how that different from taking coteaz. But ok.

That quote reminded me....possibly kroot would be brought in similarly?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
I think it makes sense for Kroot to be removed as a core part of the Tau codex, and added as a separate mini-army that is battle brothers with Tau and allies of convenience with all Tau's battle brothers.

Also probably makes sense to remove all the straight inquisition stuff out of the next GK book, and make them ally in Inquisition if they want Inquisition.

One thing might really push me over the top in terms of wanting to start an inquisition army:  Assassins.  If there is copious Assassinorum stuff (or even if the GK assassins are present and improved), I'm probably in, at least as a good ally to my Sisters...
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
They're never going to remove anything, it's all going to additive.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
I don't mean that a supplement will come out that says "x unit is removed from y other codex".  I mean that WHEN THE NEXT TAU CODEX comes out, Kroot might not be in it anymore if there's already a "standalone" kroot army.  And WHEN THE NEXT GK CODEX comes out, it might not include the inquisitorial part.

GW has already done this sort of thing before.  For example, Greater and Lesser Daemons used to be in the CSM book, but now that they have their own proper codex, if you're playing CSM you need to ally in Daemons to get them.
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
Uh, sure.  But even if the recent pace was kept up indefinitely (seems unlikely) that would be a long way off. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
Yeah, definitely, very long term thing.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
If the kroot were to break away, they would be new models to cover all the unique kroot tau don't have access to.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
It's impossible to keep up with all these supplements.  I have no idea which ones are available and when they came out because we're never told, I have to learn about it here, via email when someone asks a questions about a new digital book I've never heard of, or when I happen to visit the GW site.

The whole thing is unfortunate.

It's especially unfortunate when a player gets crushed by a list out of digital codex they've never heard about.  I've got to explain to him that it's a "digital only" thing and there's no way I can get it or sell it.  It then sparks a series of questions that I have no good answer for.  It sucks.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Vermillion

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Shinobi Tactics: Your daily dose of Ninja goodness.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
I don't think Tau will lose Kroot. I could see Kroot being made to be a separate supplement as well as being in the Tau codex though. I wouldn't mind using them as allies if they have some better melee abilities.
Good men hear the call; Great men answer.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Could you just ban digital codifies that don't have a physical counterpart? Cause that does suck

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Could you just ban digital codifies that don't have a physical counterpart? Cause that does suck

all that would do is frustrate someone who loves or only has a particular army (sisters for example). Someone shouldn't be penalized by not being able to use the most current rules just because GW sucks.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
What we may have to do in the future for tournaments is allow more time for set-up, so that people can explain what the hell their army is about and answer a litany of questions.