Author Topic: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh  (Read 17006 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »
What we may have to do in the future for tournaments is allow more time for set-up, so that people can explain what the hell their army is about and answer a litany of questions.

a little extra enforcement on lists would be awesome as well. I know myself and others are a little tired of running into the "my list is on my phone" or "my list is in my head"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
People are supposed to have copies of their list on hand.

Every tournament post has the following in it.  I know that no one really reads the event posts, but....

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least TWO copies of your army list
-Rulebooks are required as are any additional books you need
-Pen and paper
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Looks like I'll need to add a point to each mission for having a physical list.

Why are things with events getting more difficult lately?  You'd imagine they'd get easier over time.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:01 AM »
to be honest, i really hope they make paper backs just not for sisters but all future armies. Granted digital is fine, but im sure a lot of people prefer to have a book to use. I myself prefer a book because a book wont break when it gets dropped, stepped on, sat on of buried in my car
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
also if by chance they make a sisters book, chase put one on held for me. Ive always wanted to build a small sisters army but the rules were to old and BG dint have much for models when i was a kid
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

andalucien

• God
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
For the record, I would also prefer a physical codex if both print and digital were available.

Chase I sympathize with your point that codexes and supplements are coming out too fast and do not flow through the retail store.  I suppose it places a large burden of work on store staff to obtain copies of everything (buy them from GW without the ability to sell the item?) and understand the implications...   It seems kind of nice to someone like me who really only plays 1 game and is constantly fiending for more stuff to come out and read about, but it's different for a game store who needs to support various games (many of which you DO sell all the pieces for) and is already on constant information overload.  It would become very difficult for you to "set the tone" yourselves when it comes to maintaining a healthy competitive play environment and you would need to have the players "self regulate" more... don't know how it will end up exactly.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
It seems to me that codexes, themselves, should not really be a source of revenue, anyway, it should be a loss leader for the models. 

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »
People are supposed to have copies of their list on hand.

Every tournament post has the following in it.  I know that no one really reads the event posts, but....

What You Need to Bring with You:
-Your (hopefully painted) miniatures
-At least TWO copies of your army list
-Rulebooks are required as are any additional books you need
-Pen and paper
-Dice and templates
-Tape measure
-Something to transport your army from table to table

Looks like I'll need to add a point to each mission for having a physical list.

Why are things with events getting more difficult lately?  You'd imagine they'd get easier over time.

Is there anyone that really isnt bringing copies to tournaments? 
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
It seems to me that codexes, themselves, should not really be a source of revenue, anyway, it should be a loss leader for the models.

For GW, sure. Definitely not for BG.
beep bop boop

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
thw only reason i mentioned the ban is because Chase said earlier that some one gets their ass kicked from a digital codex and there is no way to double check.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
You can check the rules, Steve, but it requires a player looking at a digital document that they've never heard of on someone's phone or iPad and then just taking it as fact.

It doesn't sit well with people.

I'd imagine the average 40k player hears about a new codex somehow.  I don't imagine the average 40k player hears about the digital supplements.

I can PROMISE you that I couldn't list all of the supplements with any confidence whatsoever, and that's largely because I'm not concerned with them (I can't sell them).
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
You can check the rules, Steve, but it requires a player looking at a digital document that they've never heard of on someone's phone or iPad and then just taking it as fact.

People will have to get over this.  its not like people making their own PDF with GW watermark/copywrite is going to happen.  you'll see 3d printed models become commonplace first.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 06:43:58 PM »
Wait Keith until you see the Angry Marines Supplement I am going to use in the next tournament.  ;D
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

I'd imagine the average 40k player hears about a new codex somehow.  I don't imagine the average 40k player hears about the digital supplements.

I can PROMISE you that I couldn't list all of the supplements with any confidence whatsoever, and that's largely because I'm not concerned with them (I can't sell them).

The not sitting well with people part was the reasoning for my idea. I wouldn't like if I were at a tourney, asked some one if I. Can see their rules, and they hand me their  iPhone.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
People will have to get over this.
Or BG simply wouldn't allow at tournaments the supplements they cannot sell, which people also would have to get over.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
People will have to get over this.
Or BG simply wouldn't allow at tournaments the supplements they cannot sell, which people also would have to get over.

That gets complicated too.  If the new sisters codex (digital only) is banned, does that mean the OLD Sisters codex is legal at BG only?
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.