Author Topic: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh  (Read 16987 times)

Grand Master Steve

Re: whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:22 AM »
I still wish an inquisitor can get a Rosarious for 20 points

andalucien

• God
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
So, my codex just updated itself.

Interesting situation for a tournament organizer.  These codex have rules changes that are getting rolled out over the course of a week or so.   There is no announcement or changelog that describes which changes were made.  So, you could put on an event, and after folks submit their lists, an update to the e-codex can come out, which invalidates their lists.   

Some people who show up will simply have a different version of their rules than other people, and there will be no way for anyone who hasn't gotten the update yet to even know that another version of the rules exists at all.   Furthermore, if you HAVE gotten an update, there will be no way to look at what the rules WERE at any point in the past, so, for example, you wouldn't be able to say "for this event we're using the version of the rules as of January 25th" - after people's e-codexes update, they no longer have any way to know what those rules were (other than their own memories).

Also, depending on whose e-codex you look at to investigate a question, you'll get a different answer (depending on whether the person was an early recipient of phased update rollout or not).

Interesting times, eh?
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
Reminds me of the Chaos 3.5 codex.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Hmm, actually the iTunes store does have a changelog.  It says I'm on version 1.1, and indicates a couple of changes, which I actually DIDN'T notice - like that Karamazov was changed to be able to use his orbital strike every turn.  But the changelog doesn't mention that "Power Weapons" was changed to "Power Swords" on the Henchmen, which is really a huge change (really it should even effect how you model your guys)... so, that's kind of even worse than no changelog.

I think that if they DID actually take advantage of the electronic format to errata these codexes at predictable (and not-too-frequent) intervals, and were rigorous about mentioning changes in the changelog, the move to digital could be a good thing.   But if they do it like this, it really keeps the game at a "just-for-lols" level... maybe that's where it's supposed to be, but I always want it to be something more :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:50:46 PM by andalucien »
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
Yup, it's very much like they don't take their own game seriously.

Also, anyone with an ePub or mobi file  still have the old rules. How could they not bother to put out an errata?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
It's a shame b/c I think that the last few REAL codexes have been amazing, and are decently balanced against each other:  Daemons, Tau, Eldar, Space Marines  (except for a few power level mistakes - 2++ rerollable saves and Wave Serpents basically).   But the supplements and digital stuff are obviously just thrown-together much more quickly and are much crappier.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
btw, what did they change, Matt?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
I've noticed

- psybolt ammo works on heavy bolters and assault cannons
- Karamazov's orbital bombardment can be used every turn
- crusaders and death cult assassins can only have Power swords

... and probably some other stuff I didn't notice (changes aren't highlighted or anything).

... and....

I just opened iBooks to check this, and it alerted me that there's another update!  Downloading as I type....

andalucien

• God
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
It was updated, but I can't tell what (if anything) changed.  There's no new version in changelog.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
I want to use these rules to do a narrative between imperial forces and an Ork Whaag!