Author Topic: Post Mortem?  (Read 3173 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Post Mortem?
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:29:08 AM »
Did this happen?  Bullet points, please!  I'm very interested in them.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
Re: Post Mortem?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Hmmm well most everything was fine for me except for a few problems

1. Territory based on planets.
   -As much as i loved how it felt more 40kish, i felt it made things a bit to complicated and dragged things out. When multible people ended up landing on the same spots it seemed to slow the game down and cause problems for the store.
  If anything, i think it would have been a better league if we had been on 1 planet.

2. Hammerfall.
  -As we all saw, it was very hard to get people together on 1 planet to have a nice large fight, mostly due to work.
  If another league were to happen, it might be wise to plan ahead with this. For many planets, set the hammer fall battles dates at the begging of the league so people have 10 weeks to take off those dates.  I believe 10 weeks is more than enough to get 1 day off unless you have a really bad boss. If your afraid of to many battles going on at the same time in the store, set each fight on different dates. Sure it takes longer to resolve but people can plan ahead on what days they need off based on what planets they are on. If you cant think of something else to fit, its just going to be just like this, 90% of the planets splitting. You might as well take out hammerfall if its going to end up like that.

3. Forum threads
  They were a good idea.....for the people who used them. But in the end all it caused was drama and flame wars because one person or another who wasnt on a said planet would comment in another thread and well....we all saw how ugly that got, online and at the store.
   For future it would be best if the store kept one thread per week, and posted all the matchs going down on that one thread.

4. Buildings
   It was an awesome concept, but i felt like you couldve done a bit more with the buildings than what we had for how much they cost. As in, once you had a AA gun, bastion generator or two and starport you really dint have any need or want to build anything else.
   My reasoning for this is, ive seen warhammer fantasy league run a couple of times and their was a lot more options depending on spaces you owned and different types of buildings and recorces.

Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

MM3791

• God
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
The rules were great, I found the "empire management" part to be just as fun if not moreso then the actual games. Warp planetary travel was a really cool feature, and so was the Standard, Wing, and Building components. I think I'd like to see more options for building though(like surface to surface turrets and walls), as 2000pt Standard armies were clearly the most superior & dominant unit to build. A lot of players forfeited battles because it was a waste of time to have an inferior force go up against a full strength 2000.

It is true that Hammerfall fell through, I don't think any games were played. Maybe next time setup a planet specifically for Apocolyse battles and have it open up during the 2nd phase.

My only strong criticism is that BG management of the campaign was not very good at all, constant map errors that take half a week to fix, as well as weekly delays and missed deadlines made matchups frustrating. Response time for questions/concerns usually took a day if not more, I think maybe there should be two employees managing the planets next time.

Once again great ruleset. I know there will be a camp that wants to see more meta stategy empire building and resources types, but that would add more complexity to the campaign. I would be for it if it could be managed a lot more smoothly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:40:20 PM by MM3791 »

Vermillion

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Shinobi Tactics: Your daily dose of Ninja goodness.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
The actual date for the post mortem hasn't been set down yet because those of us who have to organize it have very difficult schedules to coordinate. I actually do think I have a date set, I just need to confirm it before I can release it.

As you can see though,we have no shortage of feedback coming in on it anyway. The actual postmortem will give us a chance to directly address and respond to a lot of the concerns and ideas that are coming our way. And for those who won't be able to make it I'm also going to be putting together a feedback form so we can hear from everyone
Good men hear the call; Great men answer.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
I found the rules overly complicated. I think the buildings were a cool idea, but I didnt care for the wing armies and the fact that the ground armies were always a set amount of points and after a battle were even less. I think if 2 players intercepted each other it should have been up to the players to decide how many points that game should be. It was discouraging to win one game only to have a. Full strength force move in for the kill.

-I think the rules need to be dumbed down a bit

-wing armies should only be used for planetary dog fights, those were fun. No bombing runs etc.

-players should not have to worry about their army size if they have to play consecutive games like mentioned when multiple players landed in one tile, one of those players will come out out top because one player was routed and theft her is weakened from the fight. Which is why I say do away with set point values for armies. Perhaps we just have to spend 2k for an army and don't have to worry about replenishing it. There is virtually no point in smaller armies other then time it takes to play. I think this should also have routing rules looked at again. Once I won a game only to loose the army? That makes no sense.

-buildings are cool IDE stick with them.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »
I think if 2 players intercepted each other it should have been up to the players to decide how many points that game should be. It was discouraging to win one game only to have a. Full strength force move in for the kill.

That's how House Bolton wins all of their battles lol, in Game of Thrones.

I'd like to add that in during a 3 way match, some players would say "oh sorry guys I'm busy this week" and BG would just have the two guys play, then the 3rd guy would come back the following week, with his full strength army and crush the winner of the game that he "conveniently" missed the week before.

Furthermore from a strategic perspective, if I had say 1000 points in the bank and generating 1000 per turn, it makes more sense for me to save my points for that turn while ceding territory to the enemy; so I can throw down a full 2000 the following turn to defend my empire. If I on the other hand, blow the 1000 on a standard army, against the invading 2000 its just like flushing money down the toilet so to speak. So in other words it makes more sense to cede territory and wait a turn, then to try to go all Rambo.

So yea I recommend we take a closer look on how Standard armies function to make the game fairer, perhaps armies less then 2000 can ignore the FOC? I don't know, just a thought.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
Looking forward to that date Paul.

There's some definite rule conversations that need to happen. But I liked that you had to think about how you spent your points and chose when and when not to fight.

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Sam Butler

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
LE Poke...   any Idea when/If this is still happening?