Author Topic: Are Necrons the army for me?  (Read 4081 times)

rockplant

• Email
Are Necrons the army for me?
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »
i have two armies atm sisters and ig
But i am getting sick of them.
I have never played anyone with necrons in battle i have the codex and i read but reading is not the same as knowing how they fair in battle.

i have simple questions like
how to they do in combat?
how does the self repair do in a battle? it sounds like 50 50
does summoning troops work as good as it sounds?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Are Necrons the army for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
Necrons seem to be hit or miss.  People like them, think they are quite good, and seem to do pretty well with them.  Other people dislike them, think they aren't very good, and do not do very well with them.  I guess it depends.

With that said, I am not very qualified to answer this question.  I have seen hundreds of games played but haven't played one myself.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions in detail.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
i have two armies atm sisters and ig
But i am getting sick of them.
I have never played anyone with necrons in battle i have the codex and i read but reading is not the same as knowing how they fair in battle.

i have simple questions like
how to they do in combat?
how does the self repair do in a battle? it sounds like 50 50
does summoning troops work as good as it sounds?

The feel is of a 1950s horror movie.  The aliens keep coming, are hard to knock down, and they keep getting back up.  In the original incarnations they were slow and pondorous.  They just formed phalanxes that slowly advanced.  Getting near them meant you took a lot of shots.  They originally didn't have a lot of close combat forces, so some armies could rush in and fight on their own terms.  However, exchanging fire with them at range was problematic.

More recent Necron have more mobility.  A monolith can move units around, and can pull units out of close combat so the enemy can be shot.  There are some half decent close combat forces.

The horror movie aspect sometimes used to come from a different angle.  They have a lot of special rules.  Some players used to ask how GW could come up with such horrible rules.  I haven't heard this very much of the most recent version.  They have respectable overall power and are competitive, but they are not over powered.  You don't see play to win folks migrating to Necron.

The big question is why you are growing bored with Sisters and Guard.  I sometimes get sick of armies when all battles become too much alike.  Some GW armies are very focused, have firm themes, demanding that you play the army the same way every game.  If all units in an army are more or less alike, you have to build your tactics around the common "what we do well."  If one does that too much, there isn't a lot of variety in the games.

My first two armies were Eldar and Chaos.  The Eldar have a wide variety of highly specialized troops.  You can play many different styles.  When I started Chaos, I could mix fast demons in light armor, shooters in heavy armor, and masses of cultists in no armor.  Such diversity allowed me to build flexible balanced armies, or allowed me to created a highly specialized army that the other guy across the table might not have seen before.

Necron....  Most of the armies are pretty much alike.  They play pretty much alike.  There are more options than there used to be, but the units that break the standard Necron mold are expensive in points and are in elite, fast and heavy slots, so one can't really take enough of them to break the mold.  There is only one troop choice, so one ends up playing a game that optimizes how to use the troops.  Said troops are incredibly tough, but are otherwise fairly routine.

Or that's my opinion, anyway.

rockplant

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
well i like cheesy 50 horror movies
I'm getting sick of sisters and ig cause the style of fighting i set up both army. like my sisters are set up as a tank killer army, and my ig is like a range defend army. i could buy new models or i could just buy a new army i rather get a new one.
I like the idea of necrons cause most of the troops have 5T and they look like they do well in close combat.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
Does having a good win/loss ratio matter to you? Necrons have it tough in 5th edition now that vehicles are much more resilient when it comes to glancing hits.

If you're just playing for fun, you might find that necrons play somewhat similarly to sisters in that they're best at close/midrange firefights. However, they have a harder time duking it out in close combat than sisters do.

My advice if you want it? you have two shooty armies, why not go for a CC one?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
They're terrible in hand to hand.

Only a few choices have toughness 5, none of them are troops.

Necrons are a finesse heavy army right now. Due to the age of their codex, many rules do not work as intended, thus they need a very skilled general behind them to do well. Here are some of the reasons my Necrons have stayed on the shelf lately:

1. Lack of reliable mobility: Despite the Veil of Darkness and Monoliths, it can be difficult to move around the board in a timely manner. In 5th edition's objective based missions, you can often find yourself struggling to succeed with slogging troops.

2. Poor tank hunters: With the changed to the vehicle damage tables in 5th, the Necrons gauss weapons got a lot worse. No longer can a squad of ten fire at a Leman Russ and hope for a few 6's to destroy it. You need to rely on the expensive Heavy Destroyers or waste the Monolith's ordinance blast on a vehicle. Even then, AV14 vehicles will give you nightmares unless you take a C'Tan, who still has to catch them.

3. Expensive units: Overall, point costs have gone down in newer armies. As the Necrons have not received a new codex, they have not had their points scaled back. You're paying more points for lower quality troops.

4. Close Combat Vulnerability: Necrons were designed in 3rd edition, when hand to hand was more forgiving. Now that its fairly brutal, Necrons get taken to town pretty easily. With no way to rack up the wounds, or even make a decent dent, they tend to lose combat by a whole lot and flee.

All that being true, Necrons are certainly playable and maybe you'll like them a lot more than I did. However, I don't think you'll see a huge difference in play between them and your other armies. Necrons are, at the very core, a shooty army with a fairly repetitive game plan.
beep bop boop

rockplant

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
like i dont know any strats for them
reason i said 5t cause i was gonna stack immortals cause is seems to be like a good bet

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »
All that being true, Necrons are certainly playable and maybe you'll like them a lot more than I did. However, I don't think you'll see a huge difference in play between them and your other armies. Necrons are, at the very core, a shooty army with a fairly repetitive game plan.

Ian makes an interesting point here.  If you want a change of pace from largish shooty armies, you might want to try a small elite close combat army.

The downside is that there are already a surplus of marines floating around.

rockplant

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:34:18 AM »
i do not like sm and choas tho
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:36:24 AM by rockplant »

Ravenous

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:20:54 AM »
small? elite? close combat?

sounds like a genestealer topic to me :P

rockplant

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 01:39:31 AM »
small? elite? close combat?

sounds like a genestealer topic to me :P

ya i was hoping immortals were like genestealers
my buddy plays bugs and i have tasted the claws

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »
i do not like sm and choas tho
There's your problem.  You're a man with taste.   ;D

rockplant

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
i would play demon hunters tho even tho they are sm but im not made of money if you know what i mean

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
I play exclusively Necrons and do like them, a lot.  Mostly because I like the look and feel of them.  I like their fluff and the ancient (almost Cthulhu) aspect of them.  Even so, things have gotten a lot tougher for the Necrotyr since 5th ed.  I went from being the bane of all vehicles to basically a space marine army without a lot of heavy weapons.  That being said I have been able to adapt a little, three squads of three strong wraiths with a lord (w/destroyer body and warscythe) has brought back some of the fear to the army.  That being said, rumor has it that there is going to be a new codex in the next year or so.  I know I'm waiting with baited breath for it.  My sugestion is that; if it's the look and fluff of the army you like you can start collecting and painting now while waiting with the rest of us Necron players for the new codex, or hold off until its out to decide.  Though, once the new codex is out, there will probably be the usual "new codex-itis" and you might have to get in line with all the other new Necron players that will likley pop out of the woodwork. Starting now would at least give you a head start to panting and experience using them.
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 01:38:10 AM »
theres a lot of non marine or chaos armies that get sneezed at. Tau, Dark Eldar, Witch hunters and specific chaos cults dont get played often any more.