Author Topic: Still trying to get a handle on the 40K rules.  (Read 5947 times)

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Still trying to get a handle on the 40K rules.
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
My tyranids have a 'synapse range'. When am I permitted to measure that range?
Could I measure during movement to make sure I put my guys in range or only when something that is effected by being in or out of synapse range happens?
Would it be during the synapse creatures movement or the effected creatures movement or both?

I am sure I can measure at the start of the non-synapse creatures movement because if it is out of synapse it effects movement. But what about at the end of movement?

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
Re: Still trying to get a handle on the 40K rules.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
You measure to see if it is in Synapse when you go to move them and then when something effects them that synapse would effect. Once you move them thats it, get used to being able to see 6in increments on the table, but only one model out of the unit has to be in synapse for the whole unit to get syanpse.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
So no measuring (of synapse range) when I move the synapse creature correct?

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
correct sir

tyranid warlord

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
Hi
Just keep your synapse creatures with in 6" by eye and remenber Carnifex's
have Ld 10 so you can take them anyware and chomp on your enemy's
Good luck and have fun
Dave and Brandan

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
Why 6"? IIRC synapse range is 12 so a rough 10-11 inches should be fine.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »

because if you keep them within 6" you will never assault out of synapse range.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »

Good thing you don't need synapse in assault.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

tyranid warlord

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:48 PM »
I like to keep them in the 6" range so if the guants do get alittle ahead
I'm still covered
Dave

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »

This seems really, really good.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 11:15:25 PM »

No you dont, unless you lose the combat out of synapse range :-\

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
Many times it is fairly clear that you unlikely to loose on the initial turn. All those extra attacks are quite good. Then you can move the synapse up latter.
Also anything with leaping can charge 12" (ie all hormagaunts). So I am not convinced that clustering that close to the synapse creature is all that useful. It restricts your movement options and makes it harder to get the synapse creature in good cover etc.

Anyway... I have another couple questions.

1. Codex vs. 5e Rules - The majority of the rules in my codex say something like the X biomorph provides the benefit of Y as listed in the core rule book on page (wrong number because it is a different edition).
So far so good. Actually makes sense, which is surprising given who we are dealing with.
Lictors however have a slight anomaly. They have a rule called 'Stealth' which gives them a specific benefit spelled out in my codex. The rule makes no reference to the general rule called 'Stealth' in the 5e book.
So my question is which benefit do the lictors get? The rule book or the codex?
FYI I checked the FAQ and this is not listed... (insert obscene comments about GW)

2. Biovores confuse the $#*! out of me - What size blast template do the mines use... and why/where the heck can I find this information?
I *think* it is a small blast because it doesn't say 'Large Blast' but that does not make a lot of sense because the mines detonate if within 2" of an enemy and that would mean they detonate without hitting some of the time which seems odd.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Many times it is fairly clear that you unlikely to loose on the initial turn. All those extra attacks are quite good. Then you can move the synapse up latter.
Also anything with leaping can charge 12" (ie all hormagaunts). So I am not convinced that clustering that close to the synapse creature is all that useful. It restricts your movement options and makes it harder to get the synapse creature in good cover etc.

Anyway... I have another couple questions.

1. Codex vs. 5e Rules - The majority of the rules in my codex say something like the X biomorph provides the benefit of Y as listed in the core rule book on page (wrong number because it is a different edition).
So far so good. Actually makes sense, which is surprising given who we are dealing with.
Lictors however have a slight anomaly. They have a rule called 'Stealth' which gives them a specific benefit spelled out in my codex. The rule makes no reference to the general rule called 'Stealth' in the 5e book.
So my question is which benefit do the lictors get? The rule book or the codex?
FYI I checked the FAQ and this is not listed... (insert obscene comments about GW)

2. Biovores confuse the $#*! out of me - What size blast template do the mines use... and why/where the heck can I find this information?
I *think* it is a small blast because it doesn't say 'Large Blast' but that does not make a lot of sense because the mines detonate if within 2" of an enemy and that would mean they detonate without hitting some of the time which seems odd.

1. Games Workshop has the general rule that codex rules always supersede the rulebook.

2. Biovores shoot any of the mines that have their own entry, don't they?  You'd put down the spore mine you shot, then follow the rules for that mine.  If the shot landed on an enemy, then it'd work as if the type you shot got close enough to the enemy, based on its own rule.  At least this is how it used to be.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
2. Biovores shoot any of the mines that have their own entry, don't they?  You'd put down the spore mine you shot, then follow the rules for that mine.  If the shot landed on an enemy, then it'd work as if the type you shot got close enough to the enemy, based on its own rule.  At least this is how it used to be.
Yes. The Biovores shoot mines which have their own entry... which references another section... and somewhere it says something about being resolved as a barrage or some such.
They seem very confusing.

Maybe you can look over my codex and explain it to me.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
The biovore mines use the small blast templates, and they count as barrage.   Which just simply means that if the unit is hit and suffers a casualty as a result they must test for pinning.  Also when determining cover you go from the center of the template not the direction the biovore shot from, also barrage can shoot without testing for sight in night fight they just scatter 3d6" instead of the normal 2d6".

You can upgrade the biovores to fire all the mines it just costs more points, you would decide before you shoot the type of mine your launching.  I think there used to be a flame template mine but I think they just simplified it to be all small blast.  I hope that some of this helps, if not sorry.