Author Topic: Hey guys newbie looking to learn  (Read 2822 times)

Quincymagicguy

• Email
Hey guys newbie looking to learn
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am a newbie looking to learn how to play magic.  I have been playing the game on my iPad and find it addicting.  I am getting the hang of it but I am still confused about enchantments and some card wordings.  I just purchased two Journey into Nyx starter deck to play for real.  Is there a good day to go to the Abington store to learn how to play ?  I would be able to go at night since I work  during the day.  I saw on Tuesday there is a commander day is that a good day to learn?  Any help would be appreciated.

The Hutch

• Email
Re: Hey guys newbie looking to learn
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
Hey Quincy magic guy,
Commander is fun but in my opinion can be the most complicated. You're on the right track though buying the current set. I would like to teach if we can work out the details. I work M-F until 3:30 my apartment is always open and our complex has a "common place game "room building also. Or at the store but my wife has the car a little latter than ideal most nights but I could make it work.

I find myself as a player getting better by regularly attending Friday night drafts, you don't need anything but some money and you will regularly get new often good cards and play against at least 3 people.

I am in weymouth, I just moved recently and could use friends anyway! Email me or txt 978 877 2121

Quincymagicguy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »
What's up Hutch.  Thanks for the offer but I would rather start out playing at the battle ground store.  I can probably be there around 6:30 7

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »
I can go over the rules, basics of how to play, and some more advanced strategy with you.  I regularly play on Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday and Friday, though I miss one day each week.  I am at the store from about 5:300 till 11.  If you have any question my name is Chris Curtin and the person behind the counter in Abington can point me out.
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

Quincymagicguy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
That's awesome I'll probably be in around 630 7 tomorrow

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Quincymagicguy

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Had an awesome first time playing magic at battleground abington last night.  Met some cool people and learned a lot can't wait to play again.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Awesome to hear!  The community in Abington is great.  You're definitely in good hands.

Very glad your experience was positive.  :)

And now some shameless plugging:

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and tumlbr.  It's the absolute best way to keep up with what's going on at the stores.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Quincymagicguy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
Anyone going to be in abington today around 230 or 3 to play a few games of magic?

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
I can poke my head in.  Ultimately I'm headed to Plainville for midnight prerelease antics though.  See you in an hour.
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

Quincymagicguy

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Awesome I'll be there in like 30 min