Author Topic: Scum and Villainy  (Read 2069 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Scum and Villainy
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:04 AM »
So I been interested into jumping into X-Wing Miniatures. My time schedule has been a little messed up recently but I have some spare income now so I can join in. I was curious how many people have been playing the Scum Faction now that its out and if anyone could point out where I should get started with them.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Re: Scum and Villainy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
I've never played scum, but people seem very excited about the IG 2000. I wouldn't run two like a lot of online lists, but it looks like a good ship. Other than that, the most wanted box is a good deal, and the Z-95 isn't bad when you fly it with the dead man's switch illicit.

It's hard to say what's going to be good, and I would just fly whatever suits your play style. whatever you decide to go with, good luck and enjoy, the game is pretty sweet.

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
Was at a small tournament yesterday where first and second both were S&V (the 2nd place player was flying to IG-88s). Scum is popular, perhaps less so competitively due to it being new and people still being comfortable with their Rebel or Imperial lists.

If you're just getting started with the game you're going to need the base boxed set which comes with all of the maneuver and range templates as well as asteroids and the rules...most will recommend buying two of them, only do that if you have an interest in flying Rebels or Imperials...a scum player will not need more X-Wings or TIE Fighters.

For the faction you'll want "Most Wanted" for sure. not only does it provide 3 ships but also gives you dials and cards for two previous ships, the HWK-290 (previously Rebel only) and the Firespray-31 (previously Imperial only).

That being said, X-Wing is packaged differently than most miniatures games. There are cards that come with just about every ship that all of the factions can use and, while you can certainly play one faction, you're going to want to be picking up a bit of everything.

For example, in wave 6 (the current wave) you will find the "Starviper" which is a ship that can only be flown in a Scum & Villainy list but, there is a wonderful card that you can only get with the Starviper, "Autothrusters", that has a great benefit to Rebels and especially to Imperial players who enjoy flying Soontir Fel (gilding the lily).

The good news is that it is still cheaper than other miniatures games (has been for me anyhow) and you need not worry about painting & assembling models or gray areas in the rules. X-Wing is a very tight game and the community is fantastic.

One thing is for certain about X-Wing...while there are popular "net" lists that are great, there is certainly more of a variety of lists compared to other miniature games I have played. So, to shwnlyns point...fly what suits your play style.

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
Erich did a great job of summing up where Scum and Villainy stands right now, and I echo his comments. The X-wing community is still trying to find out what Scum has done to the Tourney scene, but one thing is for certain - it has shaken it all up!

I think that new Scum Players would be wise to invest in two copies of Most Wanted. This gives you two Y-Wings and four Z-95's. From here, everything is really tailored to your tastes, but in order to take the most advantage of your Most Wanted Kits, I would suggest that at least one Slave-1 (Firespray-31) and one HWK-290 be added to your shopping cart.

Everyone's play style varies, so try some things out. The Aggressor (IG-2000), Starviper, and Scyk Interceptor all bring wildly different things to the table.

Be the positive change you want to see.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
Thanks for the Response I do already have the core set so I am good there. I bought it a while back to read over the rules and everything. I may head up to the store tomorrow to pick up a few pieces and the Most Wanted set depending on the news about my car and getting it fixed.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:45:32 AM »
Pat, you'll love the community.

ps.  Move closer.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel