Author Topic: hardcore morheim league  (Read 22936 times)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: hardcore morheim league
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
Tim,

We are planning on starting up this league on the 1st, around 6pm I would believe is a good time.  If you are already to go just show up that night and there will be a $5 dollar entry fee, and that night I will go over how the league will break down.  If you feel like you need to get in touch a little more with the game just let me know, also there are plenty of players around the store will to help you test out a band that your thinking about using.

gladiator7907

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
i just started so i just need to touch up maybe go over a couple of the more complex things. is there a day besides thursdays youre there?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »
dave,

if your asking when I'm around the store?  It varies, some weeks are better than others.  I am always there on tuesday nights but I have D&D from 6 to 9.  But, usually tues-thurs and sundays are good days to find me down there.

gladiator7907

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
im actually all set im just deciding between skaven and carnival for my warband can you give any tips or advice on each?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
skaven are a little more forgiving a warband to play, you have access to cheaper troops and a few hero choices.  Also their spell casting is done by a non warband leader, so fairly easy and cheap to replace should the need arise.  The strength of the skaven is in their numbers, they have one of the highest warband sizes in the game.  Making them easy to over whelm an opponent with larger numbers of weaker models.  They also excel in speed, just about everyone in the skaven army is high in initiative and in movement. 

The down side is their leadership, they start at a 7 leadership and that is their max.  So it is fairly easy to force them to run if you can get them to take a rout check.  Also the low leadership hurts them in fights against fear causing units.

The carnival is a hard warband to describe, their strength some would say is in their nurgle's rot.  That ability can cripple a warband in a campaign.  But that doesn't help you in the games your play during the league (what I mean is that it doesn't help you win the fight by inflicting it, it helps in games that follow by weakening the units toughness), so I find it less than helpful.  They also have tainted ones, which are like the mutants of the possessed, only they can not take more "gifts/mutations" after creation.  This makes them expensive to outfit if you go crazy with abilities.  The rest of the warband is fairly straight forward.  The brutes hit stuff hard, the deamons are all deamons, and the brethren are then so you have a henchman that can gain exp.  Which is the downfall I think of the carnival, not many of thier units get better after games because they don't gain exp.  Which makes them great to start but causes them to pale in comparison to henchmen of other bands around your fifth or sixth game.

its really up to you what you "like", because sadly in mordheim no band is perfect.  If you excel in something you tend to be weaker in another area.  Or you can be average across the board.

gladiator7907

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
is there that many leadership tests really? just for fear and rout but isnt there a skill which gives you fear they can take and they dont rout till late due to numbers. or am i missing some horrible flaw to the skaven?

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
fearsome is the skill you are talking about, it is a strength skill.  Only the black skaven and the assassin can take strength skills.  Which leaves the rest of your warband testing on a 7. 

No, there are not a ton of leadership checks you have to make in the course of a game.  But, there are a few, and those few can cost you a game.  Rout, All alone, Fear, stupidity  all these are based on your leadership.   Its not a big weakness to the army, but I would hate to hear someone pick up and army and start crying three games in that there is no way fro them to win because of some weakness the army has.  I'm just tryin to give you the whole picture about the band.  Skaven are good but don't expect to walk over your opponents, some games are going to be an easy win for them but not all games.

Ask Riley, he is using skaven.  And he won alot of games, but when it came down to fighting the bigger models the skaven sometimes fell short on damage dealing.  But, against other teams it was a walk in the park.

gladiator7907

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »
really? i thought skaven were good at damage. i think i just gotta fin a day this week after school to come and try the bands out with someone. i dont mind losing (my magister had more wounds than any other character). i have the skaven, possesed, and carnvial. id do possesed but i ended up going crazy with the possesed that i only had 2 possesed and one magister in the entire warband.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 06:09:40 PM »
Just a reminder:

I have talked with Derek about starting up a new league on Thursdays nights, that seems to be the least active night currently.  There will be a 5 dollar entry fee, and we are going to decide the winner based on a best of score at the end of a set week period.  There will be random pairings every week.  I would like to try and do two games a week but depending on the amount of players we get that can be established on the first night.  Games will not need to be played on the Thursday, but must be played before the following Thursday meeting.  If players can not make it down for any reason we can use the message board to establish communication and organize the games.

We will kick this new league off on October 1, any questions you can catch me in the store before that day or the day of.  Bring you warband ready to go by 6 o'clock, if you are going to be later please let me know so I can plan accordingly and try to get everyone matched up.  We will be using the standard warband creation of 500 gold to start (barring and special rules that alter that for a specific warband.) 

The same warbands are allowed as the last event we did, anything from the rulebook and other bands as list on the GW website as legal.  I will have all rules reguarding these bands available for players.

P.S. for those of you that don't know me already, I'll be the guy that everyone is having a great time hanging around in the store.  ;)

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
Hey,

I was looking around trying to pick a warband and I saw the Beastmen Raiders,  are they an option?  i was thinking of going down to the store and getting a beastherd regiment for the league but I didnt want to waste the money if they are not an acceptable warband.

thanks
Tim

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
Hey, Tim.  Unfortunately I can't answer the question myself.  I will direct this to someone who can though, in an effort to get you answer to you asap.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
sorry tim,

I was busy the past few days and just caught your post, to help you a bit with your decision here is the list and a litte about the forces.

Players Handbook
Humans:(Reiklanders) 12" leadership range, +1 BS for their Marksmen
           (Middenheim) Captain and Champions start with Str 4 instead of Str 3
           (Marienburg) This warband starts with a bonus 100 gold.

Cult of the possessed: band of cultists and mutants, you get to make your own mutant!
Witch Hunters: A human band that hates the mages, they get access to guns and warhounds (a nice cheap henchman.)
Sisters of Sigmar: Bad ass Nuns with whips and some big hammers, they got a blind chick that gets to re-roll misses (Ironic)
Undead: Lead by a Big Ol' vampire, this warband is full of guys that cause fear.
Skaven: Ratmen, they are fast as the dickens.  Low Leadership scores though. Fun special equip too.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:41:19 AM by jesterofthedark »

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
Orc& Goblin warband: Its orcs and goblins, squigs and a troll Oh my!. Orcs tend to be tuff, but the animosity rules can screw you on an important turn.
Dwarf Treasure Hunters: Dwarfs are tuff and slow, they also get extra treasure after each fight, but god are they slow.
Osterlander: A variant human band, have some drunkards but nothing great I think
Averlander: these guys can take a ogre as a henchman, so there ya go.
Kislevite: Norsemen with a trained bear, the leader gets one piece of gear at half price.
Beastmen: Beastmen, another strong and tuff band.  They are a bit pricey depending on how you build the group (minotaur is costly but a Brute) They are fast too, I think the only big draw back is that they start with max stats.  Which makes them strong early but as other bands catch up I think they may lose power.  Also, they can not use hired swords and lack any real ranged attacks.
Carnival of Chaos: This is a Nurgle worshipping band, much like the possessed you can make your own stinky tainted one.  This band is fairly straight forward, deamons never get better but are good for the cost.  The spells are ok, and you can get some range weapons if you need too.  I think the big thing here is that tainted ones get real expensive.

Tim, I myself got all I needed to start a beastman band out of the regiment. 

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
thanks alot for the post,     that was very helpful.   but seeing them all listed out makes it so hard to pick one,  they all look cool!

thanks again
-Tim

Cylonis

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Heyas.  This is Tim, the one who plays vampire counts (which Bill murdered if that helps).  I was going to be there tonight for the league but I got called into work since apparently my coworkers all manage to get sick at the same time.  If there is an extra spot I would like to be included and I will be there later tonight, but not until 9:30 - 10.  I'll have the entry fee and stuff so if there is a spot I can play a game tonight, just late.  If not...well I'll be sad but will get over it.  :P