Author Topic: A tale of X number of gamers  (Read 9133 times)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: A tale of X number of gamers
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »
Hey quick question, or rather two....

Are there any rules for army composition below the thousand point mark?  If there is not should we alter it, say require only 1 troop, up to 2 heroes, and 1 special no rares?

Also, can we think about the rule:  Loser buys a round.  I mean, winners always drink free right??

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
I don't mind the composition restriction. Of course it may be a bit late in the game so to speak to be adding this in now..

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Alan

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »
just thought lowering the limits of stuff might make it easier for people to make a list without spending most of their points on core choices.

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »
That seems pretty legitimate...

One thing that I believe was a pretty good idea was for extremely small games (200-500pts) the warbands had some pretty interesting rules.

Unit sizes were dropped significantly...
US 1 only need 3 models to make a unit
US 2 needed at least 2
US 3 only needed 1

In order to purchase upgrades and command models the units needed to field their minimum unit size however.

Obviously this would be far too small for such larger game in comparison but that may be something to look at.

Also in those smaller games you could field up to 2 special and one rare (I think), but say you didn't want a rare choice you could use that rare to field another special. (Which I am totally in favour of because I don't like any of my rare for Empire :P)

Theres also a points limit on characters anything under X amount of points you could only field one character with a total cost not exceeding X points.

I believe that the number of core should stay the same though. We can't all be High Elves ;D

Would everyone like to try a Warband sized game league-type-thing? It would definately allow a lot of new people the chance to play a lot of small fast paced games while not going too overboard.
For a little while anyway. Maybe the first 2 or possibly 3 weeks we could use those rules and once people get acclimated into their army and how they feel then we up the points some.

Thoughts on any of the following?

I would like to try and come to this but my work schedule may interrupt. I will come as often as I can however.

Ben

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:28 AM »
http://www.warfan.net/Warbands.pdf

Heres a link to the Warbands rules.

They are a bit dated as they haven't updated them for a while, but they should do.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 08:07:39 AM »
I can work with this, though it would only really impact the first month. After that it'd be status quo.

What do the rest of you think? It's late in the game so if (Like me) you've only worked on full units and would rather keep going chime in.

Also for timing, how does 2pm Saturday sound, painting and playing? Still up for options.

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
I've decided to wait for the beastmen book to be released and use them instead. I have a 2000 pt army of the old beasts(mostly unpainted) and really want to get them going again. So since the book isn't out til next month I won't be able to make it this weekend(couldn't do this weekend even if I went with the elves). I might stop in to see how everything is going but won't be able to stay long.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
i will be at Arisia doing security this weekend so i will not be there
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 01:51:27 AM »
Bill, Cookie and I get out of DH @ 3.  I've personally got my 500 all done up. Rather Stick with the normal rules.
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
Bill, Cookie and I get out of DH @ 3.  I've personally got my 500 all done up. Rather Stick with the normal rules.

Cool. So around 3 ish would be better.

Cheers,
Alan

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
since its this week I say just go with the book rules and play it as an under 2000 list I guess.  Saves time and energy.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »
since its this week I say just go with the book rules and play it as an under 2000 list I guess.  Saves time and energy.

Fair enough, both are valuable :)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »
Alan,

Is the plan to play missions from the book or just a beat stick game every week??  I know with 500 points this would be a pain depending on the mission.  But, I honestly believe that missions may make use assemble armies that are versatile to play with as opposed to just how quick can I fit that big model in my force. 

I.e.  A giant would rule at this point but if you took one your army would be the gian and a hero with a core (probably a bad core, whether it be small or just really weak space filler).  Missions would get us to put together forces that favor and all comers situation. 

Take it as it is, beat stick is always just a good time and as such I endorse it in all its forms.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Alan,

Is the plan to play missions from the book or just a beat stick game every week??  I know with 500 points this would be a pain depending on the mission.  But, I honestly believe that missions may make use assemble armies that are versatile to play with as opposed to just how quick can I fit that big model in my force. 

I.e.  A giant would rule at this point but if you took one your army would be the gian and a hero with a core (probably a bad core, whether it be small or just really weak space filler).  Missions would get us to put together forces that favor and all comers situation. 

Take it as it is, beat stick is always just a good time and as such I endorse it in all its forms.

Missions make sense,
              Even home made scenarios are good if people have them. For 500 points, depending on how many people are around we could do things like king of the hill or maybe a team game.

Let's spend some time on Saturday working out what we want from February, and maybe we can get creative :)

Cheers,
Alan

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
I wont be able to make it tomorrow, an old college teammate is coming to visit and wants to go to our alma maters bball game, and i feel obliged to go with him. 

I did get my 500pts painted and ready, ill post a pic when i figure out how.  Good luck to everyone, I hope its a fun day, and I cant wait till next month and 1000pts.

-Tim