Author Topic: 40k Flyers  (Read 1966 times)

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
40k Flyers
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
Hey Guys,
       Question came up today, and I'm not sure I have the way flyers work right. Your thoughts.

Bombing runs say that you take point a. on the table and the point where the flyer ends. The flyer can then make a bombing attack anywhere between the two right?

No the rules for flyers say that they enter at a point of your choice and I'm under the impression that they stay there until their next movement phase. So is it possible for a first turn bombing run?

I thought it was not but....

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Re: 40k Flyers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
I would say one cannot bomb on the first turn arrived, or on the first turn back after disengaging.  The key for me is "Leave a marker in the original position of the flyer and then move the flyer as normal...  Draw an imaginary line between the marker and the flyer's final position.  This is the flyer's bombing run corridor."

If the bomber wasn't on the board the previous turn, there wouldn't be an "original position."

I vaguely recall someone defining an entry point on the table edge, then a stop point anywhere on the table, and using the line between as a bombing run corridor.  This would pass a common sense test, but doesn't sound very much like the rules as written.

I would read it as you originally did, no bombing on the first turn back.  I don't feel the point as beyond arguing, though.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
There is only one way for a Flyer to Bombing Run on the First Turn. It had to have started on the tabletop Turn 1.

Flyers Coming in from Reserve
"When the Flyer aarives from reserve, it can be PLACED anywhere on the table except on top of other models. It can be placed over any piece of terrain, but never counts as being inside it. Note that this is not a Deep Strike, and the model does not scatter." Apocalypse Book Pg 94

All Flyers' entry points are the spot it is placed when it comes in from Reserve, it did not enter from a table edge then fly over 3 ft from said edge, it popped in right where it is placed. Bombing runs require movement from point A to point B, on the turn the flyer arrives it only has Point A.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
There is only one way for a Flyer to Bombing Run on the First Turn. It had to have started on the tabletop Turn 1.

"Flyers always begin the game in strategic reserve."  (Page 94, Apocalypse core rules.)

How could a flyer start on the tabletop Turn 1?  Careful Planning would let one place a flyer on turn 1, but it still wouldn't start on the tabletop.

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
Raven Murder Wing Datasheet, May be deployed OR held in reserve.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
Steve Speaks the truth as I to am an avid flyer user.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »
Raven Murder Wing Datasheet, May be deployed OR held in reserve.

Ah.  That would seem to allow a first turn bombing run.  Without something similar, I would still think not.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »
No you dont get first turn bombing runs. Its turn 2 at best. Read what he just posted!

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »
Thanks Gents,
             I hate to think I'm losing my mind, and now, I've one less piece of evidence to contend with.

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)