Author Topic: Clue, Yes I'm Serious  (Read 1907 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Clue, Yes I'm Serious
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
I know it may have the stigma of a child's game or worse a family game.  However, Clue is one of my favorite board games of all time.  I was looking for my copy for the past four years, couldn't find it, gave up, and bought a new copy while shopping for my cousin's birthday.

Would anyone be interested in a game?  It has been ages since I played, there's a new version out, and I'm sure there's new rules.  But, it could be fun.  Wednesdays, after War at Sea, are my best night.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: Clue, Yes I'm Serious
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:59:57 AM »
It's been a while since I played Clue, but I always loved it. If the timing is right, I'd definitely be up for a game this or another Wednesday.

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Re: Clue, Yes I'm Serious
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:15:56 AM »
I played tonight with my mother, her favorite game, and they changed the rules on me.  I knew they updated the game.  No more conservatory and whatnot.  Got rid of the Edwardian feel and modernized.

But, I was surprised by the other changes.  There's new room names, of course, and new weapons.  Also, the playing pieces are different than before.  They are a translucent piece of vertical plastic.  I'm used to the pieces that looked like they belong in Sorry or even the ones shaped like people.

On top of that there's a new level of strategy in the game.  Each player, depending on who you pick (Col. Mustard, Prof. Plum, Ms. White, etc) gets a personality card.  This gives you a 1 use per game special action.  Each personality card is different.  Some let you get a 2nd turn, others let you swap cards with players, etc.

On top of that there's another deck of cards.  Whenever you roll a ? on your dice or land on a ? space you MUST draw from the deck.  It has Clock cards, the first 7 are safe and on the 8th you are killed by the murderer...the cards are recycled after that happens.  Plus other cards that give you benefits.  You can keep as many of the beneficial cards as you want and then play as many as you want in your turn.

When you move into a room and say "I think Prof. Plum did it in the Hall with the pistol" you move the people and items into that room as before.  This is not the accustion (when you check the packet to win the game).  If another gamer's piece is moved into the room as part of your "Rumor" (new name) they MAY draw from that other deck of cards.  The risk is they'll get the 8th Clock card but the benefit is they may get one of the good cards.

Also, it is official that you must go to the center (now called Pool) of the board to make your accusation.  They made the minimum number of players 3, I remember it being 2 before but I was little, and I believe that is about it.

It was a lot of fun and it ended fast.  I can see it being played in 30 minutes but naturally longer with a bigger crowd or people needed re-adjustment to the new rules.  All in all a great buy and I really enjoyed playing.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes