Author Topic: Sweet-looking "Metallic" red?  (Read 1570 times)

Mattarias

• The Fire burns forever.
    • Ex Incendia et Flamma
    • Email
Sweet-looking "Metallic" red?
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
Hey BG, I was wondering if anyone knew how to come up with a good "metallic" red color? Something akin to this? I'm unsure how to get a good effect- Washes over metallics? NMM? Something else? Anyone have any suggestions?

I want to paint a metallic red and gold scheme on my Saint, but I'm slightly afraid of messing up, so I'd like to get what I need to do down pat and practice on a few models before I commit to painting her, y'know? Any help would be appreciated!
Ex ignis, lux.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Sweet-looking "Metallic" red?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
I mix my paint.

Use blood red and mix it 3-1 ratio with mithril silver.  To give the red a little deeper tome mix it with boltgun metal.  Then wash with Baal Red to give the red more depth in the creases.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
That just looks like maybe wash over crimsion gore or blood red. If you wanted to make a metallic red you could try mixing a little mithral silver in with blood red see what happens.

GW use to make metallic's for a lot of color's. If you look around on internet you maybe able to find one. I still have a metallic green that GW made in 2nd edition of 40k days

Could try;

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/ps.htm use PS-15 its a spray paint. just prime the model white 1st then metallic red?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:38:38 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
Mithril/Boltgun (depending on the shade you want) plus a color looks awesome.  Probably not that color you linked, but I'd at least give it a try.  I used it with blue to make a metallic boltgun blue and it looked incredible.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Mattarias

• The Fire burns forever.
    • Ex Incendia et Flamma
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
Hm, thanks. I actually tried mixing it with shining gold- came out pretty sweet! If anyone wants the recipe, it's:

1/2 tsp shining gold,
1/2 tsp dwarf bronze (I'd actually recommend more bronze, less gold, looking back),
1/2 tsp blood red,
1 tsp red gore
~1/4 tsp mechrite red.

All thinned, of course. Came out pretty nice. Sorry for the teaspoons, I have this little medicine syringe thing that I use to measure my paints. :P
Ex ignis, lux.