Author Topic: Hey... It is Garry Gygax's birthday... that guy was cool.  (Read 3154 times)

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
There is no text here...
seriously.

jbtowers

Re: Hey... It is Garry Gygax's birthday... that guy was cool.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Gary Gygax was many things. He was a visionary, a creative force, a good writer, to name a few. However, Gary Gygax and the word "cool" are two things that do NOT go good together, as in the case of chocolate and peanut butter. For real. Have you ever seen a picture of this guy? Please Google 'Gary Gygax' for images, and check your sources carefully before posting such a comment.

A creative genious - perhaps, but "cool"? Certainly not. There is little doubt that Gary did not see the inside of a woman's under garments well into his 30's, and I am making that a generous estimate based on my great esteem for his roleplaying products. Further more, he has been on the receiving end of more wedgies than all of the junior high schools of both Iowa and Kentucky combined. I believe I saw this in the Guiness Book of Records, '68 edition. [However, this record was broken by Joel Kaputsky of West Agadonga, NY in 1982].

RIP Gary...Tool.
Welcome Comrad! My friends are in the woods!

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
I think he was cool.
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

leap89

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
That is part of what makes him cool. Someone that doesn't conform and does what they love is cool in my opinion.

jbtowers

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
@Jess: Fair enough.

In this undated picture, I still think Gary's uncoolness is sooo obvious.

skavengear

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
he didnt need to have seen them he can have his epic paladin lay as many wenches as he pleases (roll a d20 to see if she receives pleasure)  :P

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
Gary Gygax was cool.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 03:54:19 AM »
You think Gary Gygax and Steve D. are uncool!? Something's wrong here....

skavengear

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
Gary Gygax was cool.

^ Dave Goss likes your comment ^

who said that? jbtowers said gygax wasnt. everyone else is a gygax/D conglomerate supporter  ;)

jbtowers

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »

Technically, the other thread was posing the question of Steve D's awesomeness, not coolness. I also stated my hatred for Steve D, and never really disputed his awesimity or coolosity. However, in hindsight (which is always 20/20), I am willing to back off my stance on Steve D, and declare him "conceivably awesome" and/or "possibly cool". In doing so, for the record, I receive absolutly NO experience points OR magic items for my change in position.

That said, I must remain steadfast in my position on E. Gary Gygax - smart, creative, well-spoken but irrevocably uncool. Oh, and still very undead.

skavengear

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

Technically, the other thread was posing the question of Steve D's awesomeness, not coolness. I also stated my hatred for Steve D, and never really disputed his awesimity or coolosity. However, in hindsight (which is always 20/20), I am willing to back off my stance on Steve D, and declare him "conceivably awesome" and/or "possibly cool". In doing so, for the record, I receive absolutly NO experience points OR magic items for my change in position.

That said, I must remain steadfast in my position on E. Gary Gygax - smart, creative, well-spoken but irrevocably uncool. Oh, and still very undead.

first off, youre posting that gary gygax, the creator of dungeons and dragons, is uncool on the dungeons and dragons boards; second, you state you dont 100% agree steve D is awesome, cool, and etc. on the message boards that love him. you sir, have balls; im not sure if i like or dislike that yet...

jbtowers

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »

"first off, youre posting that gary gygax, the creator of dungeons and dragons, is uncool on the dungeons and dragons boards; second, you state you dont 100% agree steve D is awesome, cool, and etc. on the message boards that love him. you sir, have balls; im not sure if i like or dislike that yet..."

Being a Sir, as you pointed out in your post above, is actually mutually inclusive with ball possession. That said, ball possession is what wins games. I must also add that here in America we are free to express our like or dislike of things like guys named Steve, or Gary - even if one has never met either. I have also willingly down-graded my hatred of Steve D to a status of "conceivably awesome". That is a good will gesture. A bad will gesture would be a middle finger which I have never posed on these message boards, or implied via emoticon.

Last of all, I must thank you for your uncertain dislike. It usually beats out-and-out loathing, and always beats a sharp stick in the eye.

Be well, and keep an eye open for sharp sticks.

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
Gary was married at the age of 20.

Perhaps if he had been a boy scout as well as a gamer he may have not seen them till his 30s.
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.