Author Topic: Tournament Prizes  (Read 1679 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Tournament Prizes
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:05:02 AM »
So I've run a bunch of 40k / Fantasy events, more card game events than I care to remember, but not more than 1 Warmachine / Hordes event... and that one doesn't really count.

So, I'm looking for opinions here.

Mainly, as players in a tournament would you rather see a larger prize payout in terms of store credit or a much smaller store credit prize and some cooler "vanity" type items like coins or trophies.

Basically, we have to order a kit for our event.  We can choose from 1 of 3 kits.  One kit is super cheap (free) and comes with certificates for the winners, one is middle of the road and comes with certificates and coins for the winners, and the third is a bit more fancy and comes with resin cast trophies for the winners.  There is also the option to pick up faction patches to award to our players.

Sadly, kits 2 and 3 (coins and trophies) come at a cost, as do the patches.  The tournament fees will cover the cost of the kits / patches but will also eat into the store credit prizes we award.

So, what is your preference?  Store credit or vanity items?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Tournament Prizes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
My vanity knows no bounds...  Bring on the trophies...
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
Kit 2, please. The coins are really nice and are one of the iconic parts of steamrollers.
beep bop boop

skavengear

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
i like the idea of putting the trophies up on display in the store with the winners name.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »
Coins is the way to go IMO. I remember Bron's collection. They are quite cool and very classic WARMACHINE.

Faction patches are something anyone can order so I don't see them as a great prize (besides I already have mine).

If you go the Trophy route you should consider getting the trophies and mounting them on a base with brass name plates and displaying at the store so we can use them over several tournaments and still afford coins/whatever.