Author Topic: Endless Nights  (Read 7690 times)

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Endless Nights
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »
Hi gang.  This is a general information thread for my 4th edition campaign.  The idea will be to play this game when scheduling or whatever other problems prevent us from playing in Ben's game.

The setting will be my homebrew world, called Auris, which I've been revamping off and on for the past several months.  Because the system we're using is D&D 4th ed., big changes to the world aren't wholly necessary.  We'll be learning about the place as we go along.

First off, I thought I'd include basic game information including house rules.

What People are Planning to Play
AJ:  Human Ranger
Rick:  Human Wizard
Steve:  Tiefling Warlock
Ben:  Dragonborn Paladin
Tom:  Human Cleric

Ability Scores
You can use a standard array or a 22 point buy, which as we know are equivalent.  I'll probably add up your points before we start, so you might want to be sure your math is correct.  I reserve the right to mock you openly if your scores are off.  (And I'll make you fix your scores too.)

Shadow Levels
This is a concept introduced to me by a friend and one I like a lot.  Every level you earn in one of my campaigns earns you a shadow level.  Basically, you can use shadow levels to increase your power level should you roll new character, trading your shadow levels in for character levels on a 1 for 1 basis. 

What does this mean?  If your 6th level fighter dies (or you just can't see any reason to continue adventuring with him), then you can create a new 6th level character.  You could also create a 5th level character and bank one level if you wanted.  This rule takes the sting out of death if things go south, and sometimes they do go south!

Who's Pitching the Tent?
Sometimes players begin to chat in OOC banter.  ("Didja see the Sox game last night?")  I used to feel this was the fault of the GM, but these days I feel it's just something that happens.  I've seen players break off for OOC banter during the strangest times...the minute they finally find some important thing they were looking for, right as it's their turn to make a move in combat, etc.

I don't plan to punish people directly for this.  However, I have a house rule concerning people who engage in a bit of side talking.  If something is going on in game and you begin a side speech, other characters are free to continue acting while you're distracted.  In game terms, while you're talking about the Sox your characters are busy arguing over who's turn it is to pitch the tent, brush down the horses, fetch water, or whatever. 

The reason I made this house rule is I often see 80% of the party actively gaming while others are engaged in side conversation, then the two who are in their side conversation hear something that interests them and expect to jump in immediately with their action.

("Wait, WHAT?  The rogue slipped into the princess's tent?  Well...I was GUARDING her tent!")

No, you were busy complaining about how sore your feet were to the other party members and the rogue is gonna get busy.  I might let you roll with a penalty to notice the rogue slipping into the tent, but if you're not really paying attention to the game, I'm going to assume your character is likewise distracted.

In combat situations things can get pretty intense and I know some players carefully weigh their options in combat.  However, we want to keep things moving forward and players who suffer heavily from Analysis Paralysis will eventually be forced to move or forfeit their turns.  For this particular house rule, I ask that you don't worry too much.  I'll give you plenty of warning before I skip you in combat (generally I do a slow countdown before I move on).  To be honest with you, I haven't had a problem with this for years...players generally spend a few moments weighing their options and then move decisively.  My cousin, however, was the WORST person in the world for staring blankly at his character sheet for minutes on end, so I had to start doing this to prevent him from wasting everyone's time.

One Reroll Per Game!
I'm a terrible roller so I usually institute this house rule.  You get to reroll one die...any die you like...once per game.  You can also use this one reroll to force me to reroll one of my dice.  This
is in addition to any similar metagame powers you might have due to your character.  This reroll must be BETTER than the original roll, so you can prevent a natural 1 or force a 19 into a 20, whatever you like.  If you're forcing me to reroll my die, then my roll must be WORSE.  I'll make public what I rolled before rerolling the die.

I won't make it a point to remind you of this rule after the first few sessions, so don't hesitate to remind each other.  This rule is a good way for players to have success when they want it, but I've seen it save some lives when players force me to reroll my dice.  When I'm cackling over a critical hit and Sir George of Tank is on his last legs, better make me reroll.

Quest Cards
To help the players remember quests and game goals, I'm going to be distributing quest cards.  You'll have the quest written there as well as the XP amount you gain for finishing the quest.  In addition, I plan to let players trade in quest XP to get a second chance.  Sacrificing the XP from a minor quest will allow you to give one player an additional reroll for that session, or force me to reroll a die.  Sacrificing the XP from a major quest allows each player one additional reroll chance.  These chances disappear at the end of the gaming session, so it's better to only use it when you really really need it.

The only limitation I'll place on this is players need to agree unanimously on when XP should be sacrificed.  Also, the quest must be a currently active quest, so if for some reason a quest becomes irrelevant and I forget to take back the quest card for it, that doesn't mean it's a free reroll!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:58:17 PM by Guu »

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Re: Endless Nights
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »
Races
All of the races in the PHB will be considered standard.  The flavor of the races differs somewhat, because this is my homebrew campaign.  Religion differs significantly from what's in the vanilla PhB, and I'll provide details on that in the post below, if you're interested.  (And you should be interested if you're wanting to play a cleric or Paladin.) 

The individual races are laid out in brief below:

Dragonborn
Dragonborn trace their lines back to the great dragons.  Once, all dragonkin were immortal, but death tainted the ancient blood and the Dragonborn came into being.  Dragonborn in the world of Auris were also once masters of a great and boundless empire stretching across most of the known world, but they lost their civilization in a great war with their immortal kin.

Dragonborn have a tribal society, making lives for themselves in trackless wildernesses far removed from the other races.  Those of them that choose to live among Humans or other civilized races are considered odd by their kin but are tolerated.  All Dragonborn await the return of their king, who they believe will be resurrected during the hour of their greatest need.

Dwarf
Dwarves aren't much different from that old classic Dwarf vintage.  They live in mountain holdfasts, some neighboring the kingdoms of other races and others in far-flung wilderness areas.  While the Dwarves have many kingdoms, all Dwarves acknowledge their great king Gam who makes his home distant Mount Graybrow.  If you want to play a Dwarf, chances are you come from the mountain nearest to the human kingdoms, the ancient mountain of Everspring, where king Gurlin rules.

Eldarin
Rather than hailing from the Feywild, wherever the hell that is, Eldarin are from the realm of dreams.  It's not worth getting into here, but you can read more about dreams and the nature of reality in the religion post below.  Abilities of the Eldarin are identical to those of vanilla D&D, they are simply beings from the world of dreams who have entered the waking world.  Their ancestral home is a stronghold known as Evenwood, an almost mythical city where the lines between dreams and reality become blurred.  WHAT they are exactly is a matter of some debate.  Some say they are the souls of departed mortals returned to the world to aid their old companions in these troubled times.  Others say they are the guardians of dreams, sent to make sure the barrier between the world of dreams and the waking world is never breached.  Whatever the case, the Eldarin aren't giving away any information.

Elf
Elves are virtually identical to their vanilla counterparts.  They have many kingdoms stretched across the forests of the world and pay no homage to any particular liege.  Your Elf may come from a large city in the forest or a small village.  Logically, your elf would be from the Vernos Woods, a huge forest near the eastern boarder of the human lands.

Half-Elf
Again a race largely unchanged.  Sometime, somewhere in the past, your daddy (or mommy!) was lucky (or unlucky!) enough to procreate with one of those haughty elvish types.  Half-Elves make a lot of sense given the current state of the world, where human refugees seek new homes among the other races.

Halfling
Halflings are the most cosmopolitan of the civilized races and they practice open trade between the various races and factions across the world.  No Halfling ever met anyone he didn't like, and no Halfling ever liked anyone without offering them a good deal on a barrel of pickled herring.

Human
Humans have three kingdoms that we need to concern ourselves with:  Stormfall in the south, Middenplain in the east, and Hammerscore in the north.  Stormfall remains a free confederacy of kingdoms lead by General Rael. 

The kingdom of Middenplain was conquered by an army of living dead around 10 years ago and is currently ruled by a group of powerful magicians under the direct command of their master, the Dead King, Karoth.  (Characters wishing to be from Middenplain should be prepared to write a lot of hardship into their backstory.) 

Finally, Hammerscore is a kingdom currently at war with undead in Middenplain to the south.  Hammerscore is located in the northern Anvil Mountains and the humans there are organized into a loosely tribal society ruled by a council which meets once a season near the falls of Everspring mountain.  The campaign will actually begin in the Hammer mountains, so it's not a bad option for players wishing to be human.

Tiefling
Tieflings trace their bloodline back to Mandau Roth, a human who made a pact with the gods of blood and hatred.  He traded his immortal soul for the power power in the waking world.  Mandau cut a bloody path across the human lands, waring with the Three Kingdoms until finally they banded together to cast him out.  He established his own kingdom of Talon on the Dragonjaw Plateau.

Tieflings are seldom trusted in human lands and many of the civilized races dislike them as well.  Some Dragonborn have seen fit to work with Tieflings and have settled in Talon.  More often than not, Tieflings trade and do business with the monstrous races in the north.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:01:59 AM by Guu »

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:54:49 PM »
The Nature of Reality and Magic

The Waking World and Dreams
The Waking World is the world each of us knows, where physical objects exist and are constrained by basic laws that we all take for granted.  However, the Waking world exists as a prison for the conscious mind.  For the dreamer, reality's only limits are the constraints of imagination and the will of the individual to create it.  It is a place unbounded, where physical laws no longer hold sway, a land of magic where anything is possible.

Not even the gods can touch the world of dreams, though they hold great sway over the waking world.  Only those lesser races who possess intelligence and sentience may freely cross over and touch the paradise that exists beyond the physical, where the desires of the soul are a mere thought from being reality.  Most people consider dream to be the true reality and the Waking World to be only a cruel parody.

Why then, do people simply not spend all of their time asleep?  That has to do with the nature of death.  For the righteous, the innocent, and the merciful, the Goddess of Mercy, Aili, will send one of her nightingales to guide the departed spirit beyond the Waking World to live forever in the realm of dream.  All others are doomed to roam the Waking World as a dead spirit, forever constrained to the prison of reality while lacking the power to shape it.

Magic
Magic is the power to shape and change the waking world, to bend the laws of reality to the will of the conscious mind.  This is done by speaking Truths, the secret words of dream.  To perform magic, one need only speak those Truths needed to affect the desired change.  Tell a rock it's really a fish, and speak it with Truth, and the rock BECOMES a fish.

Magic seems easy enough to accomplish, but the problem with Truths is they're always changing. Much as the Waking World is a place of constant change and fluctuation, Truths and the words to speak them are as fluid as the nature of the physical realm.  A Word of Truth that existed five minutes ago might be an altogether word now. 

How then, can the aspiring wizard know which words to use and when?  How does one learn the Truths needed to change the waking world?  Most magicians rely on their departed ancestors, spirits who know the roads between the Waking World and Dream.  Keeping on good terms with those who have gone before you is the most reliable means to make sure magic works for you.

GAME NOTE:  I'll never use this particular requirement as an excuse to screw your character over.  It's simply a flavor aspect for my world.  However, if you play a magic user type of character, I'd like you to put a little thought into your dead ancestors.  You should have at least one of them who keeps you up to date on Truths.

Divine Magic/Divine Power Sources
Divine magic works in a similar manner to D&D.  Your character has a patron deity and has been granted the power to reshape the Waking World on the god's behalf.  The gods themselves know nothing of Truths.  In a way, they *are* truths, physical manifestations of the Dream in the Waking World.  Their power to influence their areas of interest are almost limitless.  If you play a divine power source character, one of the gods (or a servant of the gods) has transfered that power to you.

The Human Kingdoms - Adventure Awaits!
Ten years ago, the human lands were overrun by an evil beyond ancient.  Karoth, the Dead King, marched upon the human kingdom of Middenplain and slaughtered the royal family Idlebrand.  For ten years he has consolidated his power, establishing relationships with Hammerscore to the north and Stormfall to the south while his minions have replaced the ruling families in all major fiefdoms.  Karoth sits upon a throne of cold stone in the shadow of Idlebrand castle, his dead flesh untouched by wind or cold.  Now that his rulership of Middenplain is complete, rumors whisper of coming war, of armies of dead and living marching in conquest.  It is a time of blood and shadow.  A time for heroes to make themselves known.

Our game will start in the human kingdom of Hammerscore, which lies in the northern Anvil Mountains.  Characters will begin play in the town of Ironfold near Mount Fist, a place famous for high quality iron and steel as well as skilled metalworkers.  Your characters arrived just before or during the winter and have been in town waiting for the spring fall.  You may have come to the town to learn something of smithing or mining or you may have come to town to study a bit of forgotten mountain lore.  You could also be there because you're simply on the run, looking for a safe haven far from Middenplain.  Whatever the case, think about a reason for your character to be in town.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:58:45 PM by Guu »

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:55:24 PM »
Religion

Akea, the Weaver who Spun the Thread of Dreams
Akea, the Weaver, the All Mother, creator off all things.  She is the departed goddess who makes her home in the world of Dream which other gods cannot fathom.  To her children, the living races possessing sentience and intellect, she gave the gift of sleep and the power to touch that which lies beyond the Waking World.

In the beginning, all races were immortal and the pain of death was unknown.  Akea looked upon the various races of Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Dragons, Orcs, and otherwise and feared them.  In giving them the power to touch dreams, the All Mother felt she had created an engine for her own destruction.  If the living races of the Waking World could touch upon the stuff of dreams, the day could come when they gained knowledge of Truths and with that knowledge challenge the power of the gods, or even the Weaver herself.  Rather than face this eventuality, Akea departed the Waking World, withdrawing from the physical realm to hide within the endless, unfathomable depths of Dream.

The All Mother is known but few people openly worship her today.  She has departed and answers no prayers.

Moiras, the Wolf, He who Watches, the Night Caller, Time
Moiras is the god of death, the one who gives importance and meaning to time, the master of the living who gave them the gift of mortality.

Moiras and his sister Moira were the twin gods of night.  When Akea's thought first gave rise to the world, there was no sun.  The twin gods Moiras and Moira held court beneath the eyes of the endless night.  While Moira was the master of the beauty of darkness and the clean light of the silver moon, Moiras was given over to the mysteries and secrets that lay concealed in the fathomless shadows. 

From the beginning, the god Moiras looked upon the All Mother and loved her.  Rather than being her servant, he strove to be her equal so that she might one day return his love.  Moiras strove to create, to give form and function to his own desires as a means to bring him closer to the power of the Weaver.  When Akea left the Waking World for Dream, hatred turned in Moiras’s heart, hatred for the living, contempt for those who had driven away his only love. 

Moiras knew Akea’s fear:  that the living would one day gain the power to challenge the gods themselves, that they would learn the Truths needed to change the Waking World.  Their potential, after all, was unbounded by any constraint.  Understanding this, Moiras developed a plan.  He would give measure to the endless night and eliminate the threat of the living by ending the gift of life. 

He spoke to his children, the wolves, lovers of the moon and shadow.  He promised them a place by his side and a life unending if they would help him with his task.  Some of them listened, and he wove his shadows about them so cleverly that no living thing could outrun them, no barrier could hold them back.  Moiras set his wolves to hunting, and in their jaws the living first felt the bite of mortality.

For each thing that lives one of Moiras’s wolves records a time and a place.  When the wolf comes for you, your time in the Waking World is ended.  Moiras’s name is whispered fearfully by those who feel that death is near, but he is an uncaring god. It is said that he can be bargained with and death can be put off for a time, but no one knows what possible offering could move the Night Caller.

Moira, the Nightshade
Twin sister to Moiras, Moira rules the night now that her brother has other duties.  She is the master of the moon and its cycles, controlling the tides and knowing of things hidden in shadow.  Moira is often quiet, making few problems among her godly kin and enjoying the quiet worship of nocturnal creatures.

Rumors abound that Moira has a darker side, a master of secrets things forbidden, but heresy is usually dismissed as idle ramblings at the local pub.

Aili, Finder of Lost Children, the Child, the Innocent Judge
Aili is the child goddess of mercy, innocence, and forgiveness.  Where she came from is unknown, but she seems singularly detached from all the other gods.  She is a protector of the weak and a master of roads and doors, ever able to find the path and aid the lost.  Her symbol is the nightingale, and it’s said she sends her birds to soothe away the pains of the righteous, the innocent, and the pure.

Moiras, the Night Caller first gave measure and meaning to time by bringing mortality to the living.  The death god made no plans for the souls of his victims; for him it was enough to have ended their power in the Waking World.  The spirits of the dead were forced into a sham of an existence, wandering the world without friends or an ability to feel physical objects around them.  Many of them gave over to despair, and their tears of hopeless frustration were more than the Child Goddess could bear.  Aili sent her nightingales to sing away the pains of the departed and lead them along hidden paths to the Dream that lay beyond the Waking World.

Aili’s name is invoked at funerals and it is said that the presence of a nightingale near a sick person’s bed bodes well for a speedy recovery or a safe journey to the afterlife.  Healers keep nightingales and leave them near their sickest patients to sing away their pains.  While a popular god with temples in all cities, Aili is seen as inscrutable.  She alone among the gods seems to know the way between the Waking World and Dream, and how she can keep this secret to herself is a mystery.

Yalel, the Master of the House, the Father
Yalel is the master of the house of nature, and an untidy house he keeps.  It’s said that every river, every puddle, every field, every blade of grass, every mountain and rock and tree and leaf has one of Yalel’s children to look after it.  His moods and the rules of his house are as unpredictable as the wind and rain, and Yalel himself may at one time appear to be a winsome youth or a wizened old man.  He’s been known to shift genders on a whim, and legends of him seducing and coupling with mortals abound.  Indeed, in this fashion many of his uncountable children are reputed to have come into being.

While all of what is mindless in creation bows to Yalel’s will, he has never been known to force his house to conform to any desire save his own.  Praying to Yalel for rain or more sunshine is as fruitful as praying to the rocks in the field that they should move before the plow.  Yalel never plays favorites, obeying his own whim and heading the words of no other.

Raga, the Fire-Bearer, Granny Maker
Raga is the god who gave the gift of fire to the living.  Once a child of Yalel, she whispered to the rains and storms, letting her nourishing showers fall where they were needed with proper time and measure.  To punish her, her father cast her from his house, locking her youth away beneath the roots of the world, forever cursing her with the form and strength of a feeble woman in the winter of her years.

Rather than despair, Raga turned her thoughts to the living whom she had long done her best to nurture and help.  She showed them how to make fire, giving them means to light the unending night blanketing the Waking World from the beginning.  She showed them crafts of wood and stone and taught them how to fashion what they needed from the bounty of her father’s house.

Raga is highly regarded by all civilized races and respected today even by her estranged father.  Even the smallest villages have a shrine erected to this important goddess and all sane craftsman begin their day with a silent prayer to the old woman who first put tools into their idle hands

Rie, the Dawn, the Daughter, She who Lights the Way
Rie is the daughter of Raga, whose mortal lover Kelvir was the greatest craftsman ever to live.  So great was his skill that he built a boat from Raga’s tears with sails woven from threads of her gray hair.  He sailed his boat to the root of the Waking World and bargained his skill at craft for the youth and beauty of the woman he loved.  When Yalel found Raga’s youth missing, he flew into a blind rage and covered the world with the most horrible storm ever seen.  For three score days the rain and lightning never ceased until finally Kelvir said goodbye to his wife and boarded his boat to sail to the very edge of the waking world, where Dream and reality meet.  Yalel’s storm searches for him there still.

Raga grieved for her loss, but she poured all of her love and care for Kelvir into her daughter, giving over the gift of youth.  When Rie was born, so great was the joy of the Waking World itself that the darkness withdrew before the first sunrise.

Rie is a goddess with beauty unmatched, appearing to whomever views her as an ideal vision of womanhood in the prime of her life and in full command of her destiny.  Her eyes glow with the warmth and genuine compassion she feels for all creatures that walk beneath the sun.  Even bitter Yalel is not immune to her pleas for mercy, and so mortals who seek relief from the ravages of nature always appeal to Rie to speak on their behalf, for the goddess herself is a child of Yalel in many ways and only she seems to have any power to move him.

Rie is the goddess of the sun, of harvest and food, of bounty and friendship.  Even the most meager peasant hovel holds some small shrine dedicated to her worship, and her name is invoked before breaking bread by all but the most uncouth beggars.  Guidance from Rie and is sought whenever arguments can’t be settled, and the union of marriage is joined in her name.

Strom, the Old Poet, the Standard Bearer, the Old Campaigner
Strom is the god of battle and strength in arms who is said to have sprung from the brow sweat of the first warrior who ever fought for the sake of fighting.  Strom has many disciples among the military elite and general soldiers who believe that speaking the Old Poet’s name before battle is a sure road to victory.  Strom cares little for individual lives but spends his days seeking new means to battle, besting every opponent by whatever means can be had.

Strom’s form is always that of a battle hardened veteran in either male or female form.  He is said to roam the earth freely, moving from battle to battle and offering his services as a mercenary for a few coins whenever the battle is about to be joined.  For this reason, most swords for hire don’t bother showing up for a battle until the last possible minute.  A mercenary who times his arrival properly is hardly ever turned away.

Kachi, the Bloodletter, Blood Goddess, Goddess of the Hidden Knife
When Moiras’s first claimed a living victim, Kachi rose from the blood of the fallen.  She is the insane god ever thirsty for the blood of mortals.  Every drop of blood that is spilled is Kachi’s doing, from the kitchen knife that turns in a chef’s hand to the blood spilled on battlefield swords.  Kachi is ever thirsty, but she does not desire and end to all life.  Her perfect world would see all that lives bound and constrained so that she could carve them carefully, savoring every drop of precious fluid as it flowed across her knife.

To speak her name is to draw her attention, and thus no one seeks her mercy.  To avoid her one must simply take the proper care, stay out of trouble, and treat all blades with respect.  Still, there are those who do her service, offering their own blood and the blood of others in exchange for the power to wound, to pierce flesh deeply and bathe their steel in steaming blood.  Such worship of the Blood Goddess is forbidden in civilized lands.

These represent some of the most important gods in brief.  I have details to add about some lesser gods and evil gods, but for PCs I think these are the ones you should bother knowing about.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:56:36 PM by Guu »

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
Things I forgot

Saved because I always forget them!  What did I forget?  I DON'T KNOW IT'S A MYSTERY!!

Channel Divinity Feats
There are more of these feats than I currently have gods detailed.  However, two characters have access to the channel divinity class feat so I'm adding my house rules for the Divinity feats for their gods.

You must of course have the Channel Divinity class feature and worship the relevant god to access these feats.

Channel Divinity:  Raga's Resolve
Encounter*Divine
Minor Action          Ranged 5
Target:  You or one ally
Effect:  The target gains a +5 power bonus to Will Defense until the start of your next turn.
Special:  You must take the Raga's Resolve feat to use this power.

Channel Divinity:  Aili's Mercy
Encounter*Divine, Healing
Minor Action          Ranged 5
Target:  You or one ally; bloodied target only
Effect:  The target gains regeneration 2 until the end of the encounter or until he or she is no longer bloodied.  If you are 11th level or higher, this power grants regeneration 4 instead.  If you are 21st level or higher, this power grants regeneration 6 instead.
Special:  You must take the Aili's Mercy feat to use this power.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:45:01 AM by Guu »

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »
So when's the inaugural campaign kickoff?
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »
Didn't we plan to play this Friday?

Regardless of what you think, the answer is yes.  Otherwise I'll lose my desire to write stuff.

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
As a hypothetical (but mostly to screw with you);

what if my character were a sorcerer with the Fey pact?

How would that work without the feywild, and presumably, no fey?

And how is that pact supposed to work in general anyway?  Is it just some kind of generic thing, like weapon specialization for a fighter-type, or does it come into play during the game somehow?
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »

what if my character were a sorcerer with the Fey pact?

I *could* take the Supreme Court style answer and simply post, "There is no sorcerer class in 4th ed., thus you cannot be a sorcerer with the Fey Pact."  Haw.  But that's avoiding the question.  (Supreme Court stylie!)  What you obviously meant was a warlock with the Fey Pact.

In a nutshell, Fey Pact (We'd call it Dream Pact) means you've made a bargain with something that lurks in Dream to teach you new Truths.  As opposed to a wizard, you've traded something (like your soul!) to the other party in exchange for knowledge.  The nature of this relationship is entirely up to you.

For Infernal Pact you will have forged a pact with some evil god or another in the Waking World.  I'm still working on the god's post (should be up tomorrow or tonight if I get another burst of creativity), but I don't want a 1st level character having direct consort to the god.  Chances are you've made a pact with one of the god's servants, perhaps one of the god's children, a demon, or other power.  Your power source is STILL arcane in this case.  Rather than gaining power to shape the world via your desires (which is how a cleric does magic, channeling the will of his god), your infernal pact means on of the infernal servants teaches you new Truths and keeps you up to date on them.

For the Star Pact things are essentially unchanged.  According to religion, the waking world is bound on all sides by the sky, but any fool can see something lies BEYOND the sky:  there's stars in the sky at night.  Some folks think those motes of light are fragments of the Dream world peaking through a curtain of nothing, but you've learned otherwise.  There's something else out there.  Maybe it's part of Akea's design, maybe not.  But you've communed with those powers and now call on them.

Anyhow, warlocks all get access to the Eldrich Blast power as a basic attack and gain an additional at will power as determined by the Eldrich Pact.  Also, each pact gives access to a certain pact boon.  So the pact you choose not only determines what powers you get but also determines what flavor of warlock you'll be playing.  Whether you pick your pact based on the powers you want or the flavor you want, I'd assume they're roughly balanced.  (Who knows for sure though?  None of us have really played much.)

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:49 PM »
Gang:

In an effort to get the game going smoothly on Friday I'm making this post and copying the information to the OP.  Because 4th ed. is all about having a party where the various roles are filled, I thought people might like to see a post with information on who's playing what.  I'll update the posts as people start to firmly commit to party roles.

What People are Planning to Play
AJ:  I forget.  Didn't he say magic user?
Rick:  Some kind of magic user (presumably arcane Power Source)
Steve:  ????
Ben:  Dragonborn Paladin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:26:00 PM by Guu »

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »
I said a fighter? When? In all honesty I have no idea, but I'll prolly have a guy of every class made up at some point in time. But I must say that I really love the idea of there being no gnome PCs, now I can bash gnomes all day without pause :)

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
I said a fighter? When? In all honesty I have no idea, but I'll prolly have a guy of every class made up at some point in time. But I must say that I really love the idea of there being no gnome PCs, now I can bash gnomes all day without pause :)

But then wouldn't you be bashing an unknown race??

Steve's PC:  Damn stupid gnomes!!  Why can't they be taller??
Everyone else:  Uh.... What's a gnome...?

:D

At any rate, I think I'll take a similar approach to Steve's, and make a few different characters.  Most likely, I'll play a Paladin, unless the party has no Cleric, in which case I'll be a Cleric.  I still have a lot of reading to catch up on, concerning other classes, so for the time being I'll stick to the classes I know.

See everyone on Friday!
~Ben
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
Gnomes exist, but not as playable races until PHB2, right now they are just monsters to kick in the junk.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
Oh really...?  Huh... too bad bard's aren't a playable class either, otherwise I'd consider making puns of gnomes with their junks getting kicked in by Steve  :P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
I said a fighter? When?

In the imaginary landscape of my psychotic mind, all people play fighters.